all posts post new thread

Barbell What muscles does the zercher squat work

Stay out of it. No, really. The more squat versions you know the harder it is to make a decision on which one to use.
Just kidding ofcourse. Although very true for me. A few weeks ago I just started to cycle my FSQ and can't stop thinking about the other two versions I like the most (BSQ and ZSQ). And that is only if we count barbell squats (trying not to mention pistol squats and kettlebells).
If your goal is GPP, then no need to worry about anything. ZSQ will deliver.
Thank you for the insight @Sasa Rajnovic

Honest question here. Why would/should I want to learn front squat instead of Zercher? Assuming I will never get into Olympic lifting….

Thoracic mobility and extension, shoulder and wrist mobility, upper back strength, core, and posture.

It's also often considered to be the most 'athletic' squat, and I've read several coaches that say for general athletes (i.e. not strength athletes), the front squat 'translates' better to performance.

I know cyclists do them a lot, and front squats are also the preferred squat we use in rowing.

And for those quads, especially done on a slant board cyclist style.

Stay out of it. No, really. The more squat versions you know the harder it is to make a decision on which one to use.
Just kidding ofcourse. Although very true for me. A few weeks ago I just started to cycle my FSQ and can't stop thinking about the other two versions I like the most (BSQ and ZSQ). And that is only if we count barbell squats (trying not to mention pistol squats and kettlebells).
If your goal is GPP, then no need to worry about anything. ZSQ will deliver.

That's easy, though.

Just drop the obscure Zerchers and focus on the tried and true front and back squat favored by most results-oriented S&C coaches for generations.

(unless you're an Atlas stone trainee)

JK.

Do what you like. ;)

Last edited:
I’ve done some reading and have found some places citing the zercher can be more friendly to the lower back than BSQ and FSQ, have any lifters found this?

I think in general more variety is better. I can definitely see a reason to do more kinds of squats than just the back squat and front squat with a straight bar.

I would say the zercher position should be great for wrestlers, strongmen, laborers and the like.

Belt squats are supposedly the most lower back friendly.
From my limited experience belt squats are much more similar to leg press than to an actual squat. No bracing necessary, no upper body involvement, etc. Good for burning out the muscles but not really a substitute for an actual squat.

From my limited experience belt squats are much more similar to leg press than to an actual squat. No bracing necessary, no upper body involvement, etc. Good for burning out the muscles but not really a substitute for an actual squat.
For me leg press works quads and adductors, but not glutes so I can related. But I also heard all the good thing about Squatmax belt squat. People said it mimics the squat pattern much better than front-loaded belt squat.

I’ve done some reading and have found some places citing the zercher can be more friendly to the lower back than BSQ and FSQ, have any lifters found this?
Mixed; some of my athletes love them for their backs because of the increased intraabdominal pressure required for the lift, but others don’t like the load position and have tweaked their backs when not bracing enough.

When do they progress to an actual barbell back squat?
They wont, I work with an AHL Hockey team in season and will have them choose between safety bar box squat, Rear Foot elevated Split Squat and Trap Bar deadlift as their main strength exercise. They will stay with their exercise of choice for the season getting adaptations throughout the year utilizing bands, Clusters, chains, and velocity based training throughout a season. The zercher Squat is used as an assistant exercise during the year. I will vary the RFE SS with a zercher or safety bar as adding chains and bands to Dumbbells is tougher to utilize.

Back
Top Bottom