all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Which grip should we use doing the Hardstyle Double Jerk, crush grip or false grip?

Luwuwu

Level 5 Valued Member
In almost all double jerk instructions and demonstrations, including Kettlebell StrongFirst, Kettlebell Strong, Kettlebell RMF, the crush grip is applied. Yet in the Kettlebell Berserk by Hector G, there's the false grip, which is so much more like that of GS, where your forearms are almost relaxed. Hector says that the false grip is better because it is efficient and saves energy for high-rep sets. It also triggers the biceps, and so at the overhead lockout you are more stable. Yet Geoff recommends the crush grip.

I have practiced both. The crush grip makes me more controlled when doing the C&J. You know, when you grab something firmly with your hands, confidence is built.

The false grip indeed stabilises the shoulder. But at the drop (the second dip, or the overhead half-squat) I need to take more time to find that stable position of my torso.

Which one do you use or recommend for the Jerk?

after running C&J's for the first half of this year, I found if I am doing just jerks (no recleaning the bell) then the crush grip felt better, however if I was recleaning each rep then the false grip eased the grip fatigue from the cleans

In almost all double jerk instructions and demonstrations, including Kettlebell StrongFirst, Kettlebell Strong, Kettlebell RMF, the crush grip is applied. Yet in the Kettlebell Berserk by Hector G, there's the false grip, which is so much more like that of GS, where your forearms are almost relaxed. Hector says that the false grip is better because it is efficient and saves energy for high-rep sets. It also triggers the biceps, and so at the overhead lockout you are more stable. Yet Geoff recommends the crush grip.

I have practiced both. The crush grip makes me more controlled when doing the C&J. You know, when you grab something firmly with your hands, confidence is built.

The false grip indeed stabilises the shoulder. But at the drop (the second dip, or the overhead half-squat) I need to take more time to find that stable position of my torso.

Which one do you use or recommend for the Jerk?
I like the false grip. I started playing around a lot with it about 6 months ago after watching a video from Joe Daniels (Kettlebell Only Muscle Gain) about it. I really started to like it and now use it a LOT. I recently finished a "snatch volume" cycle of single and double snatches and loved it, now I'm using it while I'm doing mostly (single) C&J and, again, I love it. For low reps it seems a lot less of a "thing," but as the reps start climbing it makes a big difference for me.

Back
Top Bottom