all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Which metrics do you track?

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)

Bauer

Level 8 Valued Member
Personally, I used to track stuff like reps and weight for KB presses and/or ballistics, analyzing trends in tonnage, density, and average reps per set. For example, when I experimented with block training for a year, this approach helped me to check if I was still progressing and thus, if my programming worked. I could actually compare it with non-block training.

But when it comes to running, I have decided against tracking distance, and only record how many minutes I run per session (not counting walking breaks). I know that if I tracked distance, I would like to pump those numbers up, possibly leading to too much too soon. (Running is my side dish.)
rookie-numbers.gif

The beauty with recording running minutes is, that you can pump those numbers up by running more slowly. Therefore, this way of tracking nudges me to keep it easy. I then look at monthly and weekly total running times.

Which metrics do you track? And why?
If you don't track anything, why is that?

Personally, I used to track stuff like reps and weight for KB presses and/or ballistics, analyzing trends in tonnage, density, and average reps per set. For example, when I experimented with block training for a year, this approach helped me to check if I was still progressing and thus, if my programming worked. I could actually compare it with non-block training.

But when it comes to running, I have decided against tracking distance, and only record how many minutes I run per session (not counting walking breaks). I know that if I tracked distance, I would like to pump those numbers up, possibly leading to too much too soon. (Running is my side dish.)
rookie-numbers.gif

The beauty with recording running minutes is, that you can pump those numbers up by running more slowly. Therefore, this way of tracking nudges me to keep it easy. I then look at monthly and weekly total running times.

Which metrics do you track? And why?
If you don't track anything, why is that?
When it comes to my own tracking with LSD work, I prefer to track minutes, especially if I'm looking at Z2. I post my miles that I do, I keep track of my minutes in my head for my own use. I track reps for most other things.

Body measurements ( especially waist + belly button).
Body weight and fat % estimate which is v approximate.

I don't track my RMs or rep totals except as part of doing a programme.

Mind, I am not as advanced as many on here just a solo home recreational trainer. Maybe there is a connection between average results = not a lot of tracking.

At the moment, RHR, Garmin body battery and scale weight twice a week.. step count generally consistent so don’t pay much attention to that. That’s about it.

Typically reps at a certain load. Overall volume, as in sets of reps, typically stays the same.

I do a lot of exercise variation so logging is beneficial.

If I don't improve on load or reps, I'm not progressing. That means I'm doing something wrong. I want to do better.

I pretty religiously track sets by reps (total volume) in a spreadsheet. For cardio I track either split times/distance (BikeErg), time and elevation change (running) or calories (assault bike). I also less rigidly track bicep, quad and shoulder size. (Usually just measure when I feel an old shirt fitting differently)

When I’m unloading my kbs from my car at the gym, I note how light they feel. The 28’s now feel like the 24’s did at the start of the year.

I can’t track too much, it then becomes the focus. I’m 43 and average so every now and then I check my iPhone notes ( I write all my sets n reps in notes ) from 6 months ago. If progressing, I’m happy.

Body comp is always weird for me. I’ll diet and lose a few kgs max. Then go the opposite way and eat like a horse, and stay at what I was before the diet. My body likes to be 100kg give or take a kg. Though recently with extra sled rope pulls and pushes my shirts are tighter up top and looser at the waist. Swear my arms are a bit bigger too. That’s as scientific as I get

For workouts I track sets reps weights.

I also track resting heart rate and bodyweight.
I used to track my estimated vo2 max, but after a year of dedicated conditioning work it didn’t budge likewise when I cut down on conditioning work. so I don’t think it is as useful as I originally thought. Now I just ignore my Apple health “low cardio fitness” alerts.

If you use a heart rate monitor you can get an average HR. Once a week do exactly the same workpiece ie 5klm on the same piece of ground every week or 30min on a rowing machine at a constant pace or even 30min on a treadmill at the same pace/incline every week.

In the medium to longer term you should see lower HR for the same effort, your HR app will give you an average HR for the distance, if you wanted to you could quantify this further by calculating metres per hearbeat.

If the numbers "stall" then go longer or faster.

Back
Top Bottom