all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Which metrics do you track?

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Not sure that I understand this. Where can I go to learn a bit more about this idea please ?
Possibly not what Antti had in mind, but David Dellanave is a big proponent of varying exercises, sets, reps weight each session based on "bio feedback testing", and going for some kind of "best" in each session.

For example: Total tonnage, total reps, reps in a single set at a given weight, max weight, density --> all recorded for the specific exercise variation.

Not sure that I understand this. Where can I go to learn a bit more about this idea please ?

Let's consider the kettlebell press when you have double kettlebells of four sizes + a couple doubles of light resistance bands.

You could have a rep max at a single 16kg, 20kg, 24kg. A rep max with double kettlebells of each size. Then a rep max with 12kg, 16kg, 20kg with a light band. A rep max with heavier band. A rep max with each doubles with a light band, a heavier band.

That's a lot of different rep max PRs to make. You wouldn't likely need that many and maybe every option is not a feasible one. Still, start doing them off, and repeat them later on.

With less options you could also try going just one rep more every time you go for it, makes the progression last longer.

Then, consider the barbell press with micro loading and you have wide grip bench, close grip bench, medium grip bench, incline bench at 15, 30, 45 degree angles with different grips, floor press, military press, push press, behind the neck press, swiss bar press, add different amounts of resistance bands or chains and different grip widths and there's an endless amount of variety. You will never have to repeat the exact same exercise if you don't want to. In reality, it's likely better to end up with something like 6-10 different variations that suit you best.

Personally, I used to track stuff like reps and weight for KB presses and/or ballistics, analyzing trends in tonnage, density, and average reps per set. For example, when I experimented with block training for a year, this approach helped me to check if I was still progressing and thus, if my programming worked. I could actually compare it with non-block training.

But when it comes to running, I have decided against tracking distance, and only record how many minutes I run per session (not counting walking breaks). I know that if I tracked distance, I would like to pump those numbers up, possibly leading to too much too soon. (Running is my side dish.)
rookie-numbers.gif

The beauty with recording running minutes is, that you can pump those numbers up by running more slowly. Therefore, this way of tracking nudges me to keep it easy. I then look at monthly and weekly total running times.

Which metrics do you track? And why?
If you don't track anything, why is that?
The only metric I really care about is training more often than not. The rest usually takes care of itself.

There are a few intangible metrics I try to keep tabs on, such as:
  • Easiness (was it easy enough to repeat the whole workout on the spot, if necessary?).
  • Execution (the first rep of the first set must be indistinguishable from the last rep of the last set).
  • Joy (was it a fun workout or did it feel like working overtime?).
And then, there are certain loose performance benchmarks so I can know all the above is working. But that's for a whole another thread.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom