all posts post new thread

Which of these exercises made my knee stiff?

GreenSoup

Level 6 Valued Member
I had a training day that was hard but I felt fine. I felt like I put in a lot of good work. The next morning my left knee had a severely limited range of motion where it got more and more tense as I passed 90 degrees. No bruise, no swelling, no pain.

After a week I could hinge or parallel squat without the stiffness kicking in. In three weeks I could do 90% of a full squat but still felt the stiffness. At four weeks now the full squat and hack squat feel only a little tightness and yoga's Lightning Bolt pose (sharply bent knees) is where the most stiffness is noticed.

Note these were slow and gentle tests. After experiencing previous injuries my goal is not to re-injure anything. There was never pain with this stiffness unless I ran up the stairs in the first two weeks, and at that time it affected the area behind my knee.

Telemedicine suggested it could be a hamstring strain or PCL sprain, either being pretty minor due to the lack of pain, swelling, bruising, etc. I can handle the expected 12 week healing time for these using low pendulum swings, isometrics and mobility to keep my legs busy.

But what exercise from the day before caused this? Please check out the lineup of three suspects:

Hack squat: I had been doing daily low hack squat isometric holds on the idea it might make my knees bulletproof to avoid this sort of thing. Using this isometric as a warm up, I slightly lost my low hack balance for about a second so my hands just pressed the kettlebell into the floor (it is held behind the back only an inch above the floor) and I recovered my hack squat's balance without incident. This was early in the day with no noticed effect. I program hack squat isometrics as a steady state cycle, which basically means doing half my max hold time and having the isometric time add up to 180s/week for 12 weeks. The benefit of this is that it allows the joints to make all necessary structural changes before even attempting to gain more strength. At least that was the theory.

Double Kettlebell Swing: I was running Easy Muscle Schedule C with heavy swings. For my swings this meant density training. As volume and fatigue built up I noticed I was hinging less deeply so I tried to make a point of hinging deeper than my body felt like toward the end of the workout. I didn't notice any pain, but could this have caused it?

Prying Squat knee mobility: Again I did not notice any pain, but obviously that knee was moving around a lot. I did this last.

So those are the suspects. Is there something I can do to guard against future injury? Do any of these suspected exercises look problematic for this kind of thing to happen?

I can just use low pendulum swings (basically waves of isometric tension in the hinge of the swing without rising) without moving the joint or causing any trouble. That will give me time even to use a complete program and heal up until I would be confident nothing will make it worse.

Have you considered a Baker's cyst or Popliteurs cyst? I've had similar stiffness that ended up being a small Baker's cyst. First PT I saw said it wasn't that but latter MRIs confirmed I had a small Popliteus cyst that my Doc said was basically the same as a Baker's cyst.

I dread having to take the time out to make an appointment for something that isn't painful but I read up on the Popliteurs cyst. It looks another possibility. It's another possibility that might go away on its own or might take a while. If things stay even moderately stiff past the suggested 12 week sprain healing time then there's no reasonable choice but to make the office visit.

Thank you for the suggestion Benjamin.

I don't know how old you are, but I've been finding that as I get older, my injuries seem to have much less defined start points. It's not like I feel a pop or something and then immediately I'm in pain. Rather, I feel perfectly fine, then I wake up a day or two later and discover something new is aching.

I wonder if this is just common to tendonitis-type injuries, which seem to be my dominant injury modality these days.

Without seeing a good PT or getting imaging done to check for things like cysts or other structural issue, this is my two cents:

Focus on moving well and getting things feeling normal again. This is not medical advice! But…. Imo what caused your issue was likely not a specific exercise. I say that for two reasons:

1) it doesn’t seem like you were doing anything extreme. If you’ve been approaching things slowly and reasonably, it’s doubtful that you just “went overboard.”

2) the reason you might get injured from an exercise that was not improperly loaded is that something was not moving the way it should, which would then in turn place additional load on something else!

In either case I doubt it’s something about the exercise, rather, it could be that your body/joints weren’t moving the way they “should” during the exercise. Thus, my two cents to focus more on just making things feel good and move well.

If possible I would recommend making an appointment with a physical therapist, and imo, not one that will just see you for like 15 minutes and pass you off to their PTA. A cookie cutter examination will give you a cookie cutter solution. You want someone who will examine your gait, posture, breathing…the whole package. Outside of physical problems (tissue damage, bone spurs, cysts, etc) localized issues are likely not the result of a local cause. For example, a knee issue is more likely to be related to hip and/or foot and ankle restrictions.

Hope it helps.

This one does not sound like any type of injuries that I had in my life. I assume this is something rare (no swelling etc) does it mean something on its own? I don’t know.

I guess I am trying to be helpful by trying to say I have never experienced such an injury, I am not trying to scare you but this might need some attention.

Maybe its just my lack of experience.

Good things can happen when a problem isn't painful and you just don't want to take time for a medical trip. I did some quick looking on Baker's Cysts and found some interesting videos.

The consensus of PTs with exercise videos is that you can probably do something better than draining it and getting corticosteroids in most cases.

One PT suggested an imbalance between hip and quad strength, recommending we never strengthen quads except in an exercise where other muscles are strengthened. He said it helps to produce lots of joint problems. The isometric hack squats might have contributed.

I did some of the non-load bearing joint movement and was unsure of any effect. It wasn't worse though.

Another one suggested some stretching exercises and foam rolling the calf. As @bluejeff suggested, this PT idea is to work up and down the kinetic chain to set things right.

I did the calf foam roll with mobility work for 30 reps ankle rotation clockwise and 30 reps counterclockwise. Then I did the calf stretch. BELIEVE THIS: My "injured" knee feels freer and better than my other knee. Freeing up the calf made a world of difference and took about two minutes. Maybe it was a calf tightness problem all along? Perhaps I needed to do the right mobility work when doing intense swings for density training? Regardless this seemed to work very well.

Thank you for sending me down the Baker's Cyst rabbit hole @Benjamin Renaud - the short term success has been fantastic. I'll keep stretching and see if the success holds up.

Good things can happen when a problem isn't painful and you just don't want to take time for a medical trip. I did some quick looking on Baker's Cysts and found some interesting videos.

The consensus of PTs with exercise videos is that you can probably do something better than draining it and getting corticosteroids in most cases.

One PT suggested an imbalance between hip and quad strength, recommending we never strengthen quads except in an exercise where other muscles are strengthened. He said it helps to produce lots of joint problems. The isometric hack squats might have contributed.

I did some of the non-load bearing joint movement and was unsure of any effect. It wasn't worse though.

Another one suggested some stretching exercises and foam rolling the calf. As @bluejeff suggested, this PT idea is to work up and down the kinetic chain to set things right.

I did the calf foam roll with mobility work for 30 reps ankle rotation clockwise and 30 reps counterclockwise. Then I did the calf stretch. BELIEVE THIS: My "injured" knee feels freer and better than my other knee. Freeing up the calf made a world of difference and took about two minutes. Maybe it was a calf tightness problem all along? Perhaps I needed to do the right mobility work when doing intense swings for density training? Regardless this seemed to work very well.

Thank you for sending me down the Baker's Cyst rabbit hole @Benjamin Renaud - the short term success has been fantastic. I'll keep stretching and see if the success holds up.

When I saw a PT for this, although she said it wasn't Baker's Cyst (which it was, latter confirmed by MRI) she had me do calf and hamstring stretches along with popliteus strengthening.

The strengthening part was doing seated foot internal rotations against a light band, focusing on moving the whole tibia, not just the foot. The rotation happened just under the knee.

I never knew if it's just time that helped but the swelling behind the knee slowly subsided and I usually don't feel it anymore.

Glad you are finding some relief.

Cheers.

My understanding was that bakers cysts were a byproduct of another injury (ie meniscus tear)

Back
Top Bottom