all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Which weights for Simple & Sinister?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

jsocs

Level 1 Valued Member
I am awaiting my Simple & Sinister book and noticed in the sample pages that I should have 8, 12, and 16 kg kettlebells for “average strength lady”. I am 5’3, 123 lbs but have a bad elbow (shattered in 2006). If I can only invest in 2 kettlebells right now, should I get the 8 and 12 kg or the 12 and 16 kg? Or is there a decently priced adjustable kettlebell that has all 3 ranges?

@jsocs, I am not a fan of adjustable kettlebells. Since buying them together rarely saves you any money, consider a third option - buy a 12 kg now, use it for a week, and then decide if you want an 8 kg or a 16 kg.

If you must decide now, I'd consider whether or not you have a background in strength training - if not, go 8 and 12; if you have already gotten acquainted with the iron game in some form, then you'll probably be OK with 12 and 16.

Welcome to the StrongFirst forum.

-S-

@jsocs, I am not a fan of adjustable kettlebells. Since buying them together rarely saves you any money, consider a third option - buy a 12 kg now, use it for a week, and then decide if you want an 8 kg or a 16 kg.

If you must decide now, I'd consider whether or not you have a background in strength training - if not, go 8 and 12; if you have already gotten acquainted with the iron game in some form, then you'll probably be OK with 12 and 16.

Welcome to the StrongFirst forum.

-S-
Thank you so much, Steve! That helps a lot. Excited to be on here!

I am awaiting my Simple & Sinister book and noticed in the sample pages that I should have 8, 12, and 16 kg kettlebells for “average strength lady”. I am 5’3, 123 lbs but have a bad elbow (shattered in 2006). If I can only invest in 2 kettlebells right now, should I get the 8 and 12 kg or the 12 and 16 kg? Or is there a decently priced adjustable kettlebell that has all 3 ranges?

If you have dumbbells lying around, you can rig a "kettlebell" by tying a dumbbell with a small towel or a sturdy fabric. Swing while holding the tie ends and experiment to determine the right starting weight to purchase. In fact, swinging with a towel tied to a real kettlebell is recommended by the book's author to discourage you from using your arms to swing the kettlebell up until you get the hip hinge form right. Please be mindful of all the form tips in the book before you swing heavy. I highly recommend you video record yourself regularly for visual feedback. By feel alone will not cut it.

Myself, I used a small backpack with books to determine my starting weight. Awkward, but did the job for me.

If you plan to stick to kettlebell training for a long while and/or expect to do other exercises that require heavier weights such as carries and deadlifts, then an adjustable kettlebell would be a good long-term investment. Just put your money in a solid product design, such as Kettlebell Kings adjustable kettlebell.

Last edited by a moderator:
Consider your safety as well, adjustable systems sometime result faulty and you don't want to have a problem with a 8kg, 12kg or 16kg above your head during a TGU or dropping/launching your Kb during a Swing on its highest point...considering its ballistic nature!

I do strongly recomend using a normal kb (there are some pretty cheap on amazon, maybe they are not the best one out there but hey you are just starting).

If you want to test yourself with weights before even buying your first kb you could try filling a paint can with sand or a school backpack with some books, or big water jugs / bottles with just water inside.

This is not optimal for training but having a scale at home and some things you could already have at home you will easily find a weight you can handle and test.

If you have dumbbells lying around, you can rig a "kettlebell" by tying a dumbbell with a small towel or a sturdy fabric. Swing while holding the tie ends and experiment to determine the right starting weight to purchase. In fact, swinging with a towel tied to a real kettlebell is recommended by the book's author to discourage you from using your arms to swing the kettlebell up until you get the hip hinge form right. Please be mindful of all the form tips in the book before you swing heavy. I highly recommend you video record yourself regularly for visual feedback. By feel alone will not cut it.

Myself, I used a small backpack with books to determine my starting weight. Awkward, but did the job for me.

If you plan to stick to kettlebell training for a long while and/or expect to do other exercises that require heavier weights such as carries and deadlifts, then an adjustable kettlebell would be a good long-term investment. Just put your money in a solid product design, such as Kettlebell Kings adjustable kettlebell.
Thank you, @barrak. I will be sure to heed your advice, especially the visual feedback.

Consider your safety as well, adjustable systems sometime result faulty and you don't want to have a problem with a 8kg, 12kg or 16kg above your head during a TGU or dropping/launching your Kb during a Swing on its highest point...considering its ballistic nature!

I do strongly recomend using a normal kb (there are some pretty cheap on amazon, maybe they are not the best one out there but hey you are just starting).

If you want to test yourself with weights before even buying your first kb you could try filling a paint can with sand or a school backpack with some books, or big water jugs / bottles with just water inside.

This is not optimal for training but having a scale at home and some things you could already have at home you will easily find a weight you can handle and test.
Thank you, @Eyetic! I tried to buy Weiders from Walmart but found out today my order was cancelled, so I’ll check out Amazon. I’ll try out the backpack with books to get a sense with my bad arm. Great idea!

I have had Toaster adjustable kettlebells for years and love them. Kettlebell itself is 22.5 lbs plus 2.5 lbs for quick lock (quarter turn) metal screwed that holds any added plates. Goes from 22.5 pounds to 70 or 80 ( forgot as

I love the Ironmaster Adjustable Kettlebells. The KB 'handle' is 22.5 lbs and the quick lock (quarter turn) screw adds 2.5 lbs. It uses the same 5 lb plates and screws as the adjustable dumbbells. And, with the add on kit of longer screws and 22.5 pound plates goes up to 80 lbs. Highly recommended!

I have had Toaster adjustable kettlebells for years and love them. Kettlebell itself is 22.5 lbs plus 2.5 lbs for quick lock (quarter turn) metal screwed that holds any added plates. Goes from 22.5 pounds to 70 or 80 ( forgot as

I love the Ironmaster Adjustable Kettlebells. The KB 'handle' is 22.5 lbs and the quick lock (quarter turn) screw adds 2.5 lbs. It uses the same 5 lb plates and screws as the adjustable dumbbells. And, with the add on kit of longer screws and 22.5 pound plates goes up to 80 lbs. Highly recommended!
Thank you, @ScottL. I’ll look both up.

I'm familiar with the Ironmaster but not the Toaster. Such designs are OK for swings, I guess. However, most ones I've seen suffer from one or more of the following flaws: Too light, lock mechanisms can shift with vigorous work, may pinch the arm, change size with added weight, handle and/or profile do not allow certain lifts, ...etc.

The design I suggested, and there are three competing manufacturers that sell it, has a standard kettlebell sports profile and handle dimensions, has a very solid locking mechanism and is the only one I would trust over my head with snatches and getups.

Welcome @jsocs!
IMO get the 8 and 12 kg.

I am currently training with the 24 kg bell and I still regularly us my 12 kg (as a male) for halos, arm bars and bottom up carries.

Take your time with the program and don't be afraid to ask for advice on the forum. S&S has the potential to improve your life quality if you stick with it. Good luck!

Welcome @jsocs!
IMO get the 8 and 12 kg.

I am currently training with the 24 kg bell and I still regularly us my 12 kg (as a male) for halos, arm bars and bottom up carries.

Take your time with the program and don't be afraid to ask for advice on the forum. S&S has the potential to improve your life quality if you stick with it. Good luck!
Thank you @Bauer. I actually got a 15 lb/6.8 kg on sale at Target today and ordered a 12kg from Rogue yesterday. I’m looking forward to the improvements. My knees and lower back will thank me, I hope.

If I had to do it all over again I would save myself a ton of money and bought the adjustable bell from kettlebell kings up front. Someone questioned the safe of an adjustable bell and I can tell you from experience, these things will not come apart. They are build like tanks with two very large bolts holding them together. They are NOT coming apart!

The down side is that 12kg is the lightest they will go. So if you are committed to the long haul, get an 8kg and a kettlebell kings adjustable and you won't need any more kettle bells for a long time!

If I had to do it all over again I would save myself a ton of money and bought the adjustable bell from kettlebell kings up front. Someone questioned the safe of an adjustable bell and I can tell you from experience, these things will not come apart. They are build like tanks with two very large bolts holding them together. They are NOT coming apart!

The down side is that 12kg is the lightest they will go. So if you are committed to the long haul, get an 8kg and a kettlebell kings adjustable and you won't need any more kettle bells for a long time!
@Oso Rojo , thank you. I did buy an individual 12 kg. But if I stick with KBs, I will eventually double up. So maybe I will have my husband gift me with an adjustable for our next anniversary ?.

Thank you, @Eyetic! I tried to buy Weiders from Walmart but found out today my order was cancelled, so I’ll check out Amazon. I’ll try out the backpack with books to get a sense with my bad arm. Great idea!
I posted a link to a local (to me in NJ) place that has kettlebells in stock and the one I bought seems decent enough, and I picked it up just a few days ago. And these people do ship. Just look in Product Recommendations - Kettlebells.

-S-

I posted a link to a local (to me in NJ) place that has kettlebells in stock and the one I bought seems decent enough, and I picked it up just a few days ago. And these people do ship. Just look in Product Recommendations - Kettlebells.

-S-
Thank you, @Steve Freides. I was able to get my lower weights, but I’ll check out the NJ store when I am strong enough for the 16 kg.

@Oso Rojo , thank you. I did buy an individual 12 kg. But if I stick with KBs, I will eventually double up. So maybe I will have my husband gift me with an adjustable for our next anniversary ?.
Try the old "If you love me ...." pattern, hahaha. Or tell him he can use it also.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom