all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Why Peter Attia Changed His Mind on Fasting

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
I think it's pretty disappointing when someone who changes their mind is accused of selling out or '180-ing'. Science. We learn, we adapt. Things that we thought are no longer true. With evidence, things change. I can't see why people view this as a negative. Imagine you were held to your first thoughts on a subject your whole life, even with updated evidence. Or that you had to keep doing an activity because that's how you started, and world be damned if it turns out harmful. How stupid would that be?

One thing I will give Peter Attia credit for - IMO a few years ago he was very strong on a number of things with limited evidence. In my view he's gotten a lot better at saying "I don't know" more, adding qualifying statements, etc. I call that a positive.

I was in the same boat. Main reason why I hired Steve Maxwell and Ori Hofmekler for consults/training. Aging can only be learned through...well..aging lol.
I also think there's a lot to unpack here. Yes you can learn from peopled who 'aged well' but that's a very small sample size with a lot of unpredictability and luck involved. Better IMO to follow/listen to those who have studied aging, or studied the aspect of aging you are interested in. This gives you much better clues

I think it's pretty disappointing when someone who changes their mind is accused of selling out or '180-ing'. Science. We learn, we adapt. Things that we thought are no longer true. With evidence, things change. I can't see why people view this as a negative.
It's not the changing of one's mind in the face of new evidence that people have a problem with. It's the (seemingly) 100% conviction that (some) people bring to the original hypothesis (and the "selling" of that information), and then the (again seemingly) ease with which they then flip positions and say "Welp, guess I was wrong *giggle* - never mind."

I respect public figures who legitimately change their opinions or admit that they were incorrect. The times I’ve been upset that someone switched their view was usually due to me not wanting my own convictions challenged.

YMMV

Welcome to the wild West wellness and longevity conference. Say any old thing and hope it sticks, if it doesn't , reverse ferret and say something else.

It's not new that extreme fasting is potentially harmful. Did he not also take a diabetic drug for diabetes that he doesn't have for some other belief that it was good for metabolism, or something? Biohacking self-experimentation reasons, fair enough each to their own but he's a doctor and taking drugs is not good for you, kids. Take it from me, I'm nearly 60.

Welcome to the wild West wellness and longevity conference. Say any old thing and hope it sticks, if it doesn't , reverse ferret and say something else.

It's not new that extreme fasting is potentially harmful. Did he not also take a diabetic drug for diabetes that he doesn't have for some other belief that it was good for metabolism, or something? Biohacking self-experimentation reasons, fair enough each to their own but he's a doctor and taking drugs is not good for you, kids. Take it from me, I'm nearly 60.
Take it from me as well, do not take these experimental longevity drugs. I began taking berberine, salicin and resveratrol back in 2015 until about 2019 on a recommendation from a well known longevity influencer. I permanently altered my gut flora and have had some issues ever since.

Think really hard about supplemental products.

Think you have to be permanently drunk on a good Bordeaux to get any benefit from resveratrol. There are some upsides.

Take it from me as well, do not take these experimental longevity drugs. I began taking berberine, salicin and resveratrol back in 2015 until about 2019 on a recommendation from a well known longevity influencer. I permanently altered my gut flora and have had some issues ever since.

Think really hard about supplemental products.

Given gut flora can get partially wiped out by taking antibiotics, and then get re-established, how did you permanently alter your gut flora?

Think you have to be permanently drunk on a good Bordeaux to get any benefit from resveratrol. There are some upsides.

Pretty sure resveratrol is not highly correlated with price or being good wine.

Cheap table reds should do fine, given red grape juice has more resveratrol than most red wines.

Last edited:
It's not the changing of one's mind in the face of new evidence that people have a problem with. It's the (seemingly) 100% conviction that (some) people bring to the original hypothesis (and the "selling" of that information), and then the (again seemingly) ease with which they then flip positions and say "Welp, guess I was wrong *giggle* - never mind."
I get that…

but how else do you handle finding out you were wrong other than owning up to it publicly?

Keep pushing your original idea as truth and hand wave the mounting evidence against it as a global conspiracy?

Back
Top Bottom