THSS:
24k x 10s x 10 r
Int 1:00 (EMOM)

TGU:
Extra Precise, extreme focus on shoulder tracking
24k x 5s x 1 r
Int 3:00

THSS Lessons:
These felt great. Learning about keeping the spine tall, and how it makes it easy to track the knees ,set the hips, and project power.
TGU Lessons:
Still some lingering soreness in that right elbow that I hurt years ago. Never totally goes away, but does flare up every now and again. Usually when I slack and don't hinge enough. But overall, I feel great with implementing the lessons learned in my shoe-tgu session.

Up 5:00, train 7:00
Creatine day 31

Warm up:
Relaxation
'Mobility 1'
Brettzels + downward dog
S&S warm up

OHS:
Interval 1:45
32 x 10
32 x 10
48 x 5 - strong
32 x 10
32 x 10

TGU:
Shoe, 5 x 1

OHS: So I bought a shiny new 48. Being a recovering powerlifter, I can't have a heavy weight laying around and not play with it. Just as when I went from the 24k to the 32k, I had to 'exaggerate' the tall spine, hooked grip, hips back, proper knee tracking, etc. Also, the sets of 32k afterward felt light as a feather.
TGU: Focus on feeling out the hinge - I need to get the bent leg out a bit more to get that up/down hinge pattern a little better. So played around with that today. Should really help with the stabilization of the lift. This video from Kult Fitness made a light go off in my head, so I had to play with that today.
www.facebook. com/ kultfitness/videos/ 726098180905273/

Big Sexy.JPG

whoa! that's awesome.
That's some great work
Thank you.

So I figure you decided to skip Solid and go straight to Sinister
Here is the inside scoop for the wonderful folks who read my training log. All 3 of three of you :cool::cool::cool:

My favorite kettlebell manufacturer is getting out of the direct sales market. In practical terms, this means they are not restocking their sold out 40kg bells! They could not provide me with an estimate of when their new business model would be up and running.

However, they did have a 48kg in stock. And 48kg is the Sinister Standard. And as a recovering powerlifter, I love heavy iron. And, going from a 16kg to a 24kg is a 50% leap of faith, same as going from a 32kg to a 48kg. And, shiny new Big Sexy Bell.

So, cuz reasons. :confused:

It makes sense if you don't think about it.

This set with 48 between 32 looks amazing!

My favorite kettlebell manufacturer is getting out of the direct sales market. In practical terms, this means they are not restocking their sold out 40kg bells! They could not provide me with an estimate of when their new business model would be up and running.

However, they did have a 48kg in stock

I have a similar problem, looking for 40kg since December, manufacturer told me to wait until half of January. I ping them yesterday, it's February now. But they have Beasts in stock so... Have to think about it :)

Up 5:00, train 7:30
Creatine day 32

Warm up:
Relaxation
T-Spine 'Mobility 1'
Brettzels + downward dog
S&S warm up

OHS:
Interval 1:45
32 x 10
32 x 10
48 x 10 - strong
32 x 10
32 x 10

TGU:
Extra Precise, extreme focus on shoulder/lat engagement
32k x 5s x 1 r
Int 4:15

OHS Lessons:
Very good. Strong focus on tall spine and taming the arc. With the 32k, I can kind of do these things and still get by. With the 48k, I have to do them like superman.
TGU Lessons:
These were the best get-ups I have ever done.
They were also the most difficult; each set averaged a bit over 2:15. I focused on exploring the hip hinge and shoulder packing.
  • Hip Hinge: This was mostly about getting the bent leg out more on the way up and the way down (inline with the arm that I screw into the ground).
  • Shoulder packing: I learned I have to make my shoulder tight, then expend a lot of effort to pack it into the socket even more.
  • Straight leg: I focused on keeping the toes pointed up hard. This had the strange side effect of smoothing the roll to elbow.
Together, these really helped stabilize the elbow.

This video is a good example of the shoulder packing - watch how she gets tight, then notice how she turns the lat engagement up to 11 to pack the shoulders in.
This is oddly difficult for me. Not painful, it's just hard for me to do and requires an extra level of focus. The t-spine mobility drills are helping a lot.

Very good. Strong focus on tall spine and taming the arc. With the 32k, I can kind of do these things and still get by. With the 48k, I have to do them like superman.

Great job with the 48kg! Very impressive leap! Was that still within the 1:45 interval?

Good god almighty I was sore - the TGU session yesterday with extra time under tension/extreme focus on shoulder packing left my upper back a hot mess of sore.

Up 5:00, train 8:30
Creatine day 33
Trained at fasted hour 22. Didn't feel as good as training at fasting hour 24. This could be a symptom of the soreness.

Warm up:
The Usual

THSS:
24k x 10s x 10r

TGU:
16k x 5s x 1r

THSS Lessons:
These felt great.
Worked on arresting the backward motion of teh bell in the bottom of the hinge by:
- holding glute/ab cramp at the top longer than comfortable (enables a more powerful/taller spine/lean of the torso which further enables the hips)
- swinging up/down faster than comfortable
- bending knees with the hips so the downward weight is transferred to and arrested by the glutes
The more skilled I can become at stopping the bell in the bottom of the hinge, the faster I can engage the turn around. More speed = more power.

TGU Lessons:
Worked hard to further apply the lessons learned on the hip hinge, shoulder packing, and straight leg. It might sound kinda weird to say "worked hard" when I used a 16k bell, but these three subtle cues require a new level of physical tension and mental focus.

I know I am on the right path with the TGU cues; while my muscles were very sore, my elbow was not sore at all :cool:

These felt great.
Worked on arresting the backward motion of teh bell in the bottom of the hinge by:
- holding glute/ab cramp at the top longer than comfortable (enables a more powerful/taller spine/lean of the torso which further enables the hips)
- swinging up/down faster than comfortable
- bending knees with the hips so the downward weight is transferred to and arrested by the glutes
The more skilled I can become at stopping the bell in the bottom of the hinge, the faster I can engage the turn around. More speed = more power.

Great stuff there! I especially like "bending knees with the hips so the downward weight is transferred to and arrested by the glutes." Here's something else to think about for that moment at the bottom of the spring -- the elasticity of the tissues absorbing that reversal, like a rubber band, or compressing a spring (Al's analogy). The more you can stretch your chest forward while your arm is reaching back (minor component)... and the more you can get tight in the hinge and absorb that power in your glutes and hamstrings (major component)... that is STORED POWER that is released in the upswing. I imagine this is in tendons more than muscles, but I really don't know for sure. In any case, the springiness of the tissues stores power for the explosive upswing.

Last edited:
The more you can stretch your chest forward while your arm is reaching back (minor component)... and the more you can get tight in the hinge and absorb that power in your glutes and hamstrings (major component)... that is POWER that is released in the upswing.

Ahh, that's a great point! Thank you, I'll give this a shot next practice.

Yesterday it was a a shockingly warm 45 degree day, so I went for a leisurely hour long walk. It was awesome.

No KB's today, just some stretching this PM.

Yesterday, I had a great 90/90 & QL Straddle stretching session. Went to bed feeling great.

But I slept on my neck wrong or something...kept waking up with my traps twitching. Which is annoying.

This morning, I just did relaxation exercises, brettzels, and downward dog.
I couldn't get my traps to relax with these moves, so I called an audible and took a day off.

I hit it pretty hard this last week, made some good progress on weight in the OHS, and technique awareness in both the swing and the get-up.

So I am not too put out :)

Ahhh, sleep at last!

No KBs today cuz end of week day fast. I know I know, 3 days in a row off. I'm a big fat wimp.

Up 5:00, train 6:45
Creatine day 37

Warm up:
Relaxation
'Mobility 1'
Brettzels + downward dog
S&S warm up

THSS:
24k x 10s x 10 r

TGU:
16k x 5s x 1 r
Int 2:00

The more you can stretch your chest forward while your arm is reaching back (minor component)... and the more you can get tight in the hinge and absorb that power in your glutes and hamstrings (major component)... that is STORED POWER that is released in the upswing.
Focused on applying this today. Massive improvement :cool:

Also, I was able to apply this to the TGU as well. Keeping the chest high/forward added +1 to tall spine. This took the elbow stability up another notch.

Up 5:00, train 6:45
Creatine day 38

Warm up: Relaxation, 'Mobility 1', Brettzels + downward dog, S&S warm up

No BCAA's today!

THS:
24k x 10s x 10 r

TGU:
24k x 5s x 1 r

THS: I'm getting a lot out of the humble two hand swing. Focus on 'chest forward/arm reaching back' feels GREAT. Getting a lot more glute/hamstring/ab utilization.
TGU: Worked on smoothing out the hip hinge, shoulder packing, and straight leg improvements I've recently implemented. Also learned something new - tweaking the hips just a bit so I was squared up gave me another notch of elbow stability.

Good session. Wasn't as impacted by no BCAA's as I thought I would be. Did take me a bit longer to warm up, but otherwise was fine.

Back
Top Bottom