all posts post new thread

Less is More

Up 7:00, train 9:00
Creatine day 39

Warm up: The Usual

This morning I flipped a coin; heads I'd repeat simple, tails I do non-stop two hand swings.

THS:
24k x 1s x 100 r
Non-Stop

Takes about 2:30

TGU:
24k x 5s x 1 r
Int 3:00

THS: In the video, it sounds as if my breathing gets out of sync around rep 85. I definitely was working hard. However, that appears to be my iPhone over heating and messing up the video. You can see how the video looks like it's 'floating' around at that point. The phone was quite hot afterwards. Perhaps it's time to invest in a good video camera.
TGU: A bit harder than normal, as expected. But not bad.

Stupid blood blister on my left hand from yesterday's awesomeness. I need a bell with a wider window for those THS continuous sets. When I do THS's, I have to either grip the bell sans index or pinky fingers - my hands are too wide to get all fingers around the handle.

Just stretching and relaxing on deck for today.

Up 5:30, train 7:00

Blood blister is still there, but much reduced. So just got a little somethin' something' in for training. Was really wanting to pound some sets with the 32k, but gotta brake for the curves.

OHS:
16k x 10s x 10r
Int: 1:00 (EMOM)

TGU:
16k x 5s x 1 r
Int 2:00

THS: Focused on playing chicken with the KB, arresting the backward motion of the KB with glutes/hams, and keeping chest pushed up while reaching back with the arm.
TGU: Ears are shoulder poison.

Had a good run with the Creatine; going to cycle off of it for a while now. Also, going to cut back the carbs from 31% to closer to 25%. I feel good with the extra calories, but I'm looking a bit bloated.

Last edited:

Trained at fasted hour 23 after BCAAs.

OHS:
32k x 10s x 10r
Int: 1:45

TGU:
32k x 5s x 1r
Int 4:00

Today was about applying the lessons I've learned from the lighter days. The focus on arresting the backward movement in the bottom hinge and bending the knees helped the swings. And the focus on hip hinging, shoulder packing, and straight-leg-toes-up paid off with increased elbow stability in the TGU.

Not bad for not having done the 32k since Jan 21.

concerning BCAA and Creatin: Does it have any effect on your recovery?

BCAAs don't help with recovery. They give me smooth energy to train. I take them because I train in a fasted state. They help get me going at 6:30/7:00 AM. A whey protein drink also works for that, but those shakes sit like a ton of bricks in my stomach. A bad combo when doing ballistic swings :oops:

Creatine absolutely improves recovery. It works wonders for helping you build the strength to go from swinging 24k 10s x 10r to swinging 32k 10s x 10r. Creatine is also a nootropic [used to enhance memory or other cognitive functions], which makes it useful during a complex lift like the get-up. Purity matters for creatine, which is why I use the Jarrow brand unflavored powder.

OHS:
32k x 10s x 10r

5:00 rest to stay fresh

TGU:
32k x 5s x 1r

A little rough; felt good after training but windup was slow. 3rd day of training, second day of 32k.

Yesterday: Scheduled day off

Today:
Up 7:00, train 9:00

Warm up: Relaxation, Downward Dog, Brettzel, SaS

OHS:
32k x 10s x 10r

TGU:
32k x 5s x 1r

Today's Focus:
"Do swings faster than comfortable, get-ups slower than comfortable."

Objective:
  • Build into 7 consecutive training days with the 32k.
    • For now, that will mean a two on/one off split.
    • However, I'll train on a scheduled off day if I feel great.
Risks:
  • I need to be more disciplined with waking up at 05:00 every single day, even weekends. This would ensure I do not miss a practice during the work week.
  • Callous care - razoring the caps off seems to be the safest approach for me. Need to pay attention to the callous pads and stay ahead of any tears.
  • I need to be more disciplined with my evening stretching. Stretching is training too.
  • Calories are important - need to hit my calorie targets to fuel my training. As long as I'm keeping the carbs around 25%, I should be fine.
    • My theory is lots of time with the 32k will actually lean me out, even with a moderately high daily average calorie intake.
  • Mental toughness. Gotta remember this passage from SaS:
    • "Prof. Arkady Vorobyev explains that incomplete restoration training stimulates the recovery ability; your body literally has to learn how to recoup faster... or else. Those who have served in the military can relate. You got sore after your first day in basic training, but you persisted—as if you had a choice— and kept up with the daily grind of pushups and runs, and finally you could handle it. If you were given the unlikely choice of PT-ing only when you had totally recovered, you still would have been stiff, sore, and a sissy. This is why the S& S program, while tolerating a minimum of two workouts a week if you are in a pickle, prescribes near-daily training. Think of the S& S regimen not as a workout but as a recharge."

Today:
Up 6:30, train 9:00
After saying yesterday I need to be up at 05:00 every day, guess who forgot to set their alarm clock?

Warm up: Relaxation, Downward Dog, Brettzel, SaS

OHS:
32k x 10s x 10r

TGU:
32k x 5s x 1r

Today's Focus:
"Do swings faster than comfortable, get-ups slower than comfortable."

I was beat up from 3 previous days of 32k and tired from fasting, and yet...
It's hard to explain, but these were easier than yesterday, yet harder.

'Incomplete restoration training' acts as the black smith's hammer upon malleable form-steel; it forges the form-steel into a powerful weapon against a weak body and mind.

Today:
Up 5:15, train 6:50

Warm up: T-Spine Mobility 1, Relaxation, Downward Dog, Brettzel, SaS

No swings/tgus.

My left knee would not stop popping during goblet squats, so I stopped with warmups. My knees are always a bit noisy, but not like that.

Exploring the bottom of the goblet squat, I realized my left hip is unusually sore. Last training session, my left hip/ab was trying to cramp up on me. In between swings and tgus I had to lay on my stomach to relax it. I didn't think much of it then, but this likely pulled my knee out of position and made it cranky. The hip loosened up a great deal during that evening's stretching, so I thought I'd be good to go by today. But today the muscle in my abs (Psoas, I think) wouldn't relax and was a little spasmy.

Going to walk around at work today as much as possible and maybe grease the groove prying goblet squat this evening.

Brake for the curves.

Last edited:
Thanks @damogari ! It was my fault, I should of stopped the swings as soon as I got the muscle spasms. No pain, just muscle tightness. Should be good to get at least a light day in tomorrow. I feel fine walking around work today.

Walked around a lot at work today.

This evening a bunch recovery stuff:
GTG Goblet Squat
Relaxation Exercises
90/90
Downward Dog
T-spine Mobility 1

Got the calf or the hamstring on that left side to release, not sure which one it was but ohh it felt great.
Afterwards, the hips/muscles about my lower waist finally felt relaxed and supple.

Back
Top Bottom