all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Going Goblet Heavy

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

yorkshirecomrade

Level 5 Valued Member
Simple, I've been working the goblet squat a lot with 28kg but recently gone up to 32kg, it feels great.

Thoughts on increasing weight in goblets vs decreasing?

Sounds like it's working for you - so maybe carry on. At a certain point your grip or upper back strength will likely cap out before legs, if you want to get heavier then maybe barbell front squats could work.

I've wondered about this. Is the goblet squat in the S&S warmup supposed to be at a specific weight and never increasing? I do it with my 16 but my swing/getup weight is 24 and I'll soon be on to 32. Should the goblet squat weight ever be increased?

I plan on working up to heavy goblet squats. I just started introducing the 48kg. Then once I get to 3x5@48kg start adding in the 56kg and so on. I may keep the Goblet Squat as my main squat for some time.

I swing and catch the bell, crush the body of the bell, hold it against my chest under my chin, upper arms against the body, bottom pause each rep, and pry the elbows into the inner thigh on the last rep for +10sec.

I have a 56kg, 64kg, 80kg, and 92kg. I am going to progress as far as possible.

Darren

The way my goblets feel right now I would imagine so, my form also feels stronger every session (not better, stronger).

Hello,

@Sean M
Thoughts on increasing weight in goblets vs decreasing?
If I remember well (so maybe I am wrong) you can go as heavy as your swing with you GS.

However, if you do it as a part of your S&S warm up, I would go for some reps with moderately heavy at the beginning, and then going to heavier. For instance, some reps @20, some @24, some @28 and so on. Progressively, you start heavier : some @24, some @28, some @ 32, and so on

As long as you feel good, as long as you progress, do not stop.

Kind regards,

Pet'

In the Goblet squat section of Other Hardstyle Drills (Easy Strength, Kindle location ~3955) there is a description of someone doing "heavy" goblet squat routine, one day @48kg x 5 x 5 and one @32kg x 8-10 x 10 leading to a back squat of 315lbs x 5.

So goblet squat centered squat training is beneficial to strength.

Hello,

there is a description of someone doing "heavy" goblet squat routine, one day @48kg x 5 x 5 and one @32kg x 8-10 x 10 leading to a back squat of 315lbs x 5.
Woah ! Was it a part of the warm-up ? Or a drill in itself (such as swings and GU) ?

Kind regards,

Pet'

Hello,

Woah ! Was it a part of the warm-up ? Or a drill in itself (such as swings and GU) ?

Kind regards,

Pet'

It does not mentioned it, but it does mention that it was the only squat training done, alternating sessions each 4 days. Since its was a Senior RKC's routine I assume he did other things in his training.

Hello,

I noticed that a daily weigthed pistol practice (2 or 3 ES @24kg), with swings @40 can lead to a DL @2X bdw without specific training.

I guess that a goblet with the double of this weight, plus a higher volume than my modest daily dose can easily lead to a huge back squat.

Then your quotation seems pretty interesting to me. Plus it would be interesting to do it on a EMOM or something to make a conditioning training at the same time.

Kind regards,

Pet'

I seem to remember a similar thread where a distinction was made doing the goblet for the mobility, prying effects to one for strength. Light to heavy. Want both?, somewhere in the middle, for you. At least that's how I remember it......

Ali, agree.. I suppose I'm not looking for both when I think about it.

I'm goblet squatting because i've enjoyed introducing it, improving it and now feeling like i mastered up to 28kg thought i'd try the 32kg, I get a real sense of satisfaction from the lift, so I will stick with it.

Also guys and gals, it's not part of S&S for me, it just my current squat. I have a 4 month old and a 3 year old and run my own business so managing to do a specific routine is a bit demanding for my schedule right now. I've picked 3 or 4 moves and I work on them randomly depending on mood, time etc...

I think I will get a good carry over in years to come... I'm considering sticking to it for an entire year, worried I will miss my barbell though so my plans may change.

At this present moment in time I prefer using lighter weight as I'm doing the prying version found going over 16k form seems to drop . I use the S&S warm up as my cool down after my running found really helpful keeping my mobility

@Geoff Chafe Do you agree with Marty Gallagher that this equates to heavier back and front squats?

Darren,

Any squatting will help your front and back squats. Whether you use goblet squats or single or double KB front squats, they will help. Just remember to get really strong/good at something, you need to specifically practice that something.

Hello,

Just remember to get really strong/good at something, you need to specifically practice that something
+1
As Pavel said, if you want to be good at presses, you have to press a lot.

Globally, S&S and its warm up use the biggest muscle groups. Then I think that is why there is such an important carryover on other moves you do not especially train. Plus the way anti-glycolytic which permits to train very often without exhaustion

Kind regards,

Pet'

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom