all posts post new thread

Kettlebell How heavy should my kettlebell be for swings?

Capsule

Level 3 Valued Member
I’m somewhat familiar with KB swings and I’ve worked to practice proper form in the past. I used a 35lbs Kb back then but I was much weaker and probably should’ve used a lighter weight. The coming weeks are going to be physically taxing on me and I wanted to switch to a gtg style of training with pull-ups, dips, and swings to stay as fresh as possible. I’m a 19 year old male, BW 210lbs. Bench 260lbs Squat 315 and do 10x40lbs weighted pull-ups. What weight should my KB be to get back into swings? Are the swings supposed to feel easy to get the full benefits from them? How intense should each set be?

I’m somewhat familiar with KB swings and I’ve worked to practice proper form in the past. I used a 35lbs Kb back then but I was much weaker and probably should’ve used a lighter weight. The coming weeks are going to be physically taxing on me and I wanted to switch to a gtg style of training with pull-ups, dips, and swings to stay as fresh as possible. I’m a 19 year old male, BW 210lbs. Bench 260lbs Squat 315 and do 10x40lbs weighted pull-ups. What weight should my KB be to get back into swings? Are the swings supposed to feel easy to get the full benefits from them? How intense should each set be?
I would go with the recommendation from simple and sinister. An average strength gent should start with 16kg and a strong gent start with 24kg and soon go to 32kg. I’d say the 32kg is a good standard to hit. And you are in decent shape if you can do timeless 100 swings with 32kg 1handed. 2 hand swings I think getting to do 10x10 with 48kg is a good goal to have. Average intensity is 80-90% power output in your sets. I would recommend just getting your swings in during a single session and not gtg with them. For me, after doing a set of swings and then going and sitting down seems to upset my back. I think it would be smarter to get them in when you can walk around afterwards or stretch or lay down on your stomach to avoid putting your back in an unfavorable position afterwards. That’s just my experience.

Start light. Progress weight. Does your place of training have any kettlebells? Have you looked to see if there are any kettlebell instructors nearby who might allow you to drop in for some practice?

49yr old male, 183lbs. I progressed from 16kg in both exercises to Timeless Simple in around 6-7 months, but I’ve dropped to using a 28kg for 80% of my sets over the past several months, probably because I progressed too quickly ( for me) to achieve a good level of strength endurance. If the bell feels too light to begin with you’ll know.

Back
Top Bottom