all posts post new thread

Kettlebell KB STRONG vs THE GIANT for Hypertrophy

I want to run strong again, I bought the book years ago and haven’t run the program in a long time. If I run kb strong M,W,F would it be too much to do AXE swing on Tuesday and Thursday?
I’m 43 and last year I ran Strong! with 24s twice a week and did AXE twice a week. It worked well. Most recently I did Strong! phase 1 with 28s three days a week, just finished this week, but may do phase 2 twice a week and do ballistics twice a week. Slow but steady progress.

As for hypertrophy, I have gained mass regularly doing double clean and presses for the past year or more. People from work that I used to do CrossFit with have said, “You’ve gotten bigger - are you still just training with kettlebells?” FWIW YMMV, etc.

Going to play devils advocate here.. I don’t feel either of these programs are really that good for hypertrophy - I should state this is from my
Experience ONLY. I recently completed The Giant 1.0,1.1 and 1.2 and I 100% progressed and got more and more reps each week. However I noticed zero muscle gain despite the fact I was getting stronger. During this time I was also getting around 200g protein a day (6ft 1 at 87kg). I also completed Strong Phase 1 and Phase 2 slow and steady and didn’t see any gains either (however at this time my diet was nowhere near in check).

That’s not to say the programs didn’t work as I did get stronger and improve my numbers however I did not see any hypertrophy unfortunately
How long do you guesstimate you are resting between sets? Longer rests = less hypertrophy

Ok having read all the reviews of the Giant being great for hypertrophy it seems I may be the problem. With this in mind I am going to give it a run through again. My press witch 2x24kg is about 7/8 so should I start with 1:0? 3.0 reps seem too low for a 7/8rm. I’m going to ensure my protein intake is high and get my calories sorted.

Ok having read all the reviews of the Giant being great for hypertrophy it seems I may be the problem. With this in mind I am going to give it a run through again. My press witch 2x24kg is about 7/8 so should I start with 1:0? 3.0 reps seem too low for a 7/8rm. I’m going to ensure my protein intake is high and get my calories sorted. Crazy idea, but if you don’t have heavier bells, add a front squat to every rep.
If you don’t have heavier bells, then do 3.0 with your 24’s, but add a front squat to every rep

Ok having read all the reviews of the Giant being great for hypertrophy it seems I may be the problem. With this in mind I am going to give it a run through again. My press witch 2x24kg is about 7/8 so should I start with 1:0? 3.0 reps seem too low for a 7/8rm. I’m going to ensure my protein intake is high and get my calories sorted.
You can +1 reps to the rep scheme. I think that would make it perfect. +2 reps if you want but I think that would be too much? Nevertheless sleep + nutrition would be super important.

I know we all like our minimalist programs using kettlebells. Me too!

But if you really want hypertrophy above all else is it perhaps time to do one 3 month cycle in the local gym, traditional bodybuilding? Then come back to something like the giant that is more rounded in the fall..

KBs have built me a great base of strength and gpp (for the effort I put in). But the spp of looking Arnold like on the beach on holiday might require something else.

I would do maximorum or 3.0

I know we all like our minimalist programs using kettlebells. Me too!

But if you really want hypertrophy above all else is it perhaps time to do one 3 month cycle in the local gym, traditional bodybuilding? Then come back to something like the giant that is more rounded in the fall..

KBs have built me a great base of strength and gpp (for the effort I put in). But the spp of looking Arnold like on the beach on holiday might require something else.
Oh no for sure I am not unrealistic in my expectations and I don’t want to be a body builder or anything like that. I would just like to ‘look strong’ or look like I at least workout. Not expecting Arnold’s like results haha

Didn't Arnold say that the clean and press was the exercise to build a truly Herculean physique? Or am I misquoting that from somewhere else?

Regarding building muscle using the Clean + Press...

Make sure:
  1. Your protein is high enough - 1g/lbs (2g/kg)

2. Your calories are high enough - for many, this isn't a problem. They eat too much and those calories are stored as fat. When they start using the C+P, that energy is diverted from fat storage into muscle-building. For building muscle use a coefficient of at least of Bodyweight (pounds) * 15 for calories. So, 180lbs *15 = 2700 calories. If you're not tracking, your guessing. Work up from there.

3. You rest enough - 7+ hours a night, otherwise your body is storing fat and losing muscle

4. Use the correct loads - some people start one of 'THE GIANT' programs with whatever KB/KBs they have and ignore the loading parameters.
Make sure all 4 of those boxes are checked.

Hope that helps.

Regarding building muscle using the Clean + Press...

Make sure:
  1. Your protein is high enough - 1g/lbs (2g/kg)

2. Your calories are high enough - for many, this isn't a problem. They eat too much and those calories are stored as fat. When they start using the C+P, that energy is diverted from fat storage into muscle-building. For building muscle use a coefficient of at least of Bodyweight (pounds) * 15 for calories. So, 180lbs *15 = 2700 calories. If you're not tracking, your guessing. Work up from there.

3. You rest enough - 7+ hours a night, otherwise your body is storing fat and losing muscle

4. Use the correct loads - some people start one of 'THE GIANT' programs with whatever KB/KBs they have and ignore the loading parameters.
Make sure all 4 of those boxes are checked.

Hope that helps.
Thank you Geoff. With this in mind I’m going to do all the 4 stated above and re-run the giant with 2x24kg. I will report back on how things went!

Thank you Geoff. With this in mind I’m going to do all the 4 stated above and re-run the giant with 2x24kg. I will report back on how things went!
I would say just do 1.0->1.1->1.2->2.0 with you 7/8RM. By 1.1 they’ll be your 10rm anyways.

2.0 is where the volume gets the highest (at least for me).

I’m a 6’6 ectomorph with long limbs, gaining muscle is insanely difficult. I am currently 215 lbs. I look wayyy more muscled than I did at 215 two years ago. The Clean and (Push) Press makes up about 60% of my overall training load… FWIW I use a single kb…

In the summers, I always get up to 225 (I’m a teacher so summers offer the best recovery and calorie surplus with more grub and beer… lol).

Squats are your friend!!! Sprinkle in some squats after sessions or on off days… you’ll grow everywhere (not just legs). Upper body squats (pull ups) are another lift I see big returns from…
YMMV

I would say just do 1.0->1.1->1.2->2.0 with you 7/8RM. By 1.1 they’ll be your 10rm anyways.

2.0 is where the volume gets the highest (at least for me).

I’m a 6’6 ectomorph with long limbs, gaining muscle is insanely difficult. I am currently 215 lbs. I look wayyy more muscled than I did at 215 two years ago. The Clean and (Push) Press makes up about 60% of my overall training load… FWIW I use a single kb…

In the summers, I always get up to 225 (I’m a teacher so summers offer the best recovery and calorie surplus with more grub and beer… lol).

Squats are your friend!!! Sprinkle in some squats after sessions or on off days… you’ll grow everywhere (not just legs). Upper body squats (pull ups) are another lift I see big returns from…
YMMV
Thanks for the advice! I am going to do exactly that. I try and do KB front squats but I hate them and find them super awkward. Same with goblet squats and my arms/back core usually fatigues before my legs. I am getting a barbell soon so I’ll sprinkle in some back squats!

Have anyone done Strong with just one hand ?
I remember I did it five years ago with 28 kilo (the first phase). My rep max with the 32 went up. From 1 rep to 3 reps (The right hand is my dominant hand) . Quite pleased with the results.

Back
Top Bottom