all posts post new thread

Kettlebell KB STRONG vs THE GIANT for Hypertrophy

GIANT 3.0 30 minutes 24kg
WEEK ONE 91 reps
WEEK TWO 115 reps
WEEK THREE 126 reps
WEEK FOUR 150 reps

I appeal to anybody because this is an active thread @Geoff would be good. Above are my results tested with 24kg and for 7. Tested 28’s got 2 grinds .
I’m sixty five. I needed the rest. Used this past week to refresh Friday did 40 single reps.
Do I go to 1.0 or run again or . . .

I have EASY MUSCLE and STRONG.

Thank you in advance,
William

Last edited:
GIANT 3.0 30 minutes 24kg
WEEK ONE 91 reps
WEEK TWO 115 reps
WEEK THREE 126 reps
WEEK FOUR 150 reps

I appeal to anybody because this is an active thread @Geoff would be good. Above are my results tested with 24kg and for 7. Tested 32kg got 2 grinds .
I’m sixty five. I needed the rest. Used this past week to refresh Friday did 40 single reps.
Do I go to 1.0 or run again or . . .

I have EASY MUSCLE and STRONG.

Thank you in advance,
William

Assuming you have doubles,

Since you just finished 3.0, what I would do is go ph2 of strong to chase down the progress you just made

Assuming you have doubles,

Since you just finished 3.0, what I would do is go ph2 of strong to chase down the progress you just made
Thank you Mike, I have doubles and I train at a box gym “the one best exercise“ is incredible. I think it was today that I listened to a video with you I liked it a lot. Thanks again now my mind is settled regarding Monday.

Last edited:
Given the lengths of Strong and The Giant series, I would suggest running one and then the other. As Mr. Neupert said, you might do better with one than the other.

I say pick one and try it. And I'd suggest the Giant series, because it's a smaller commitment, in weeks. Then, you can decide if you are happy with the results.

Of course, it still depends. If you're the type that wants to kick their own butt every workout, then Strong! might be the better fit for you.

Remember that muscle grows when it's resting, not when it's working. Stay within your recovery ability.

You could do Strong! Phase 1 to build some strength and use this strength to build volume with lighter kettlebells during some weeks of The Giant.

For me a switch between heavy low reps and lighter volume work helps to move forward.

@Xene Thank you your time and suggestions. My volume already exceeds phase 1 of Strong. I wondered if the lighter volume would help and I am glad it worked for you but am choosing to stick to my heavier bells (for me) to “chase down the progress I just made” with Strong The “Short Coarse” the programs first 6 weeks look good/do-able 7 thru 12 well . . . We’ll see how it goes . . . hope so . . . I will be able to rest more between sets.

@ Eric W At sixty-five both Strong & Giant will kick my butt. When your young you think “Ah I’ll just keep training and eat right” and in your heart you think it’s not going to happen to me. I’ll get old yes, but not to bad.
Remember that muscle grows when it's resting, not when it's working. Stay within your recovery ability.
Presently I have all the time to train and recover. I get good macros do mobility and try to get adequate sleep even take naps but still you do not recover like when you are young. Thank you for your response in means a lot that someone would offer up some help.

Last edited:
@Geoff Neupert Interesting point for sure!

This "individual wiring" thing is something I've noticed in myself. I can usually retain strength in the 1 to 5 rep range but once the reps go above 5, forget it. Very perishable.

I've also found that taking those "mostly useless" rep max charts I can usually get a single rep that's higher than my repetitions suggested. By this I mean I'll do like 10 reps with a certain weight not able to get another rep. That weight may suggest a 1RM of whatever but often I find I can get a higher 1RM.

Sorry to go off course...
Maybe the formulas aeent that useless and coul be an indicator if you are more of a Rep or Max Strenght guy.

Using these formulas it showed me that i never could 1RM what was indicated. E.g: I only could C&P 24kg when my calculated 1RM was 26.7 kg.

I made a simular experience years ago when i was unable to bench press 90kg for one rep even though my 10RM was with 75kg

I want to run strong again, I bought the book years ago and haven’t run the program in a long time. If I run kb strong M,W,F would it be too much to do AXE swing on Tuesday and Thursday?

I want to run strong again, I bought the book years ago and haven’t run the program in a long time. If I run kb strong M,W,F would it be too much to do AXE swing on Tuesday and Thursday?
For me it would be but I've got some dings and dents and training mileage on me that at nearly 60 are starting to catch up with me.

I'm running Strong on M,W,F right now and I'm feeling like it's just enough. Do not desire further training. For the most part, it’s going nicely. I feel like I'm regaining my strength back.

I’m currently between bell sizes to perform Strong! at the moment. Once my 2x32 becomes 4-5RM I plan on running AXE Mon/Thu, then Strong! Tue/Fri

8 weeks of Phase One will be 12 weeks

I’m almost 50 I think I’ll try Mark’s suggestion and do 2 days of strong and 2 days of AXE. After 29 years of commercial lobster fishing I’ve started a much less physically demanding job so my recovery should be better now. Thanks
For me it would be but I've got some dings and dents and training mileage on me that at nearly 60 are starting to catch up with me.

I'm running Strong on M,W,F right now and I'm feeling like it's just enough. Do not desire further training. For the most part, it’s going nicely. I feel like I'm regaining my strength back.

Back
Top Bottom