Kettlebell Kettlebell ICT

ICT Option 2 Advanced
Week 5 Day 3
A1. 20kg 28 reps all
A2. 24kgx2
B1.15kg 21 reps all
B2. 26kgx2
5 series of each

Dropped the conditioning weights and felt just right today. Very little redline towards the end. Nice to finish on my feet.

Screenshot_20240120-095605.png

Last edited:
@Adachi i was replying to your post at the top of page 9 about lighter conditioning weights, not sure why that quote didn't stick in the post....

I dropped today from 24 to 20kg on 1h swings and 20 to 15kg on snatches for A days and will go from 2x15kg to 2x12kg on the PP with the same aim you mentioned. I was going heavier and redlined too hard getting into phase 2, the weights were good for :30 but not :45 and beyond. Feels right... Only the ego doesn't like to go light.

Last edited:
I restarted the program yesterday at day one. I was on week two so big loss. My big I got sick then migraines then I just didn't want to workout.

The big surprise was that I lost nothing on my weights, yesterday. I was surprised my strength had not decreased. I went about 3-weeks off before I restarted.

Wrapped week 3. Definitely feeling the conditioning segments getting easier. Not squeezing more sets in, though we’ll see how these weights feel at Phase 2. I’m enjoying the decreasing RPE at the weights I’m using and know that a week from now that’ll be plenty high again. May drop weights as I’ve seen others do when I get to that phase depending on how it goes.

Crazy busy week and had to skip my third session till Sunday (today). Also did it on the road/at the in-laws outside in the snow.
KB ICT W4D3
Used a single 24k since I was on the road
A day
A1 KB press 5/5
B1 1hs ~ 28R

A2 FS 5
B2 snatch (12-15r) bumping up to 24k was definitely tougher. Glad I made the call at the beginning to so this with the 20k.
5 rounds each

Last edited:
KB ICT
W6D1
B day, option 1 advanced
A1/B1 24k’s
A2B2 16/20k’s
5 rounds each

The :45 of ballistics were much more doable today.

I screwed up and did hot yoga twice and its making me push my week 2 back. IDK if I can manage a B day after consecutive days of bikram.

I screwed up and did hot yoga twice and its making me push my week 2 back. IDK if I can manage a B day after consecutive days of bikram.
What? But Yoga is just a bit of stretching isn’t it?

Just joking, I’ve never tried hot yoga. But have had my backside handed to my from sessions of Ashtanga, vinyasa and Hatha.
You didn’t screw up, you are just finding your way. Getting a program to fit within live can be challenging at times.

So back on week 3 due to one week of hiatus due to sickness. However the week off seem to have been doing good stuff.

Realized my 10RM of PP is not anymore with 16kg but more of an 20 kg. So just bought a new bell to avoid going to light on the strength section. It's nice to already see some progress as shoulders and pressed have really been my weak spot :)

I have been finding Segment 2 of Session A (Option 2) to be the hardest segment of the program. DFSQ immediately after a conditioning round in the second half of the workout is brutal, as it is a high systemic fatigue exercise done in an already fatigued state.

Today (Week 6 Day 2), I finally decided to try swapping segments 1 and 2, and it made a huge difference in how hard the session felt. My squats felt much stronger (as they do on Session B days), and my presses in the second half also felt better, as my pressing muscles seem to take longer to warm up and reach peak strength than some other muscle groups.

I hate tinkering with the beta test too much, but I liked this change enough that I might stick with it. Hopefully it will be useful feedback for @Geoff Neupert.

Last edited:
I have been finding Segment 2 of Session A (Option 2) to be the hardest segment of the program. DFSQ immediately after a conditioning round in the second half of the workout is brutal, as it is a high systemic fatigue exercise done in an already fatigued state.
I agree. I can’t decide if i dread the squats and snatches or the squats and pp. guess the common denominator there is the dfs. I’ve been doing my grinds before ballistics though.

Last edited:

Same here - the fastest breath, the highest HR, the least sets per segment

Realized my 10RM of PP is not anymore with 16kg but more of an 20 kg.
How many seconds of conditioning?

My volume has gone up but I'm not going to try different weights till I [hopefully] get through at least week 10. By then, I'll be more secure.

Completed week 7, Option 1, Beginner:

Since start of 45 sec conditioning:
- 2HSwings increased from 22/22 to 28/25 per set (segment 1/2)
- PP from 9L/10R to 11L/12(13!)R

Post workout today, recovery to "normal functioning" - 8 minutes. No longer sitch of "couch -collapse".

On second segment of A day, I may go to 2.5min rest between sets but still finish under 15min.
Forearms still get really tight after swings.

How many seconds of conditioning?

My volume has gone up but I'm not going to try different weights till I [hopefully] get through at least week 10. By then, I'll be more secure.
My bad, I wrote PP but it was Military Press I mentioned. So I'm increasing the weight in the strength part and not conditioning. The 15sec increase after next week will for sure be plenty enough for conditioning. For this first block I'm getting in 12-13 reps in the PP. But I will keep the 16kg for that and just have 20kg when doing the MP in the strength part :)

As I approach week 4 I see the program calls for an extra 15 seconds conditioning, which to me seems a big jump. This got me thinking, is the 15 seconds jump by design @Geoff Neupert , as a shock to the system. Or could it be made to be a gradual increase of 5 seconds per week instead? Just a thought that came into my head, I have no experience in the art of programming!

As I approach week 4 I see the program calls for an extra 15 seconds conditioning, which to me seems a big jump. This got me thinking, is the 15 seconds jump by design @Geoff Neupert , as a shock to the system. Or could it be made to be a gradual increase of 5 seconds per week instead? Just a thought that came into my head, I have no experience in the art of programming!
IMO it's similar approach as in the Giant - you have the same difficulty and sets configuration for 4 weeks, your body adapts to it so it feels easier and you can e.g. get workout more dense and do more sets in allocated time. And then boom - there is significant increase in difficulty by lengthening the conditioning time.

I liked it in Giant and like it here - your perception of workout difficulty decreases throughout the 4 weeks so you can go harder and it's visible on numbers. Smaller and more frequent increments would change that perception for sure.

In this aspect, the programming is reminiscent of Geoff's Easy Muscle and Kettlebell Strong.

I just finished Week 3 myself. The first 2 weeks I was resting for the maximum 2 minutes between supersets. This week I started allowing myself to go with less than 2 min. rest if I felt ready - under autoregulation guidelines. Next week (Week 4) I'll aim to rest a little less than I did in Week 3.

Gradually decreasing rest times in this manner seems to work for me. But I continue to put my trust in autoregulation - that's why I'm not setting my rest timer to 115 seconds this week, 110 next week, etc.

Of course it helps to follow the program guidance to choose weights that can be snatched/push pressed for about 20 reps without rest. For me 30 seconds of snatch is about 10 reps. 60 seconds would get me roughly in that 20 rep range. I thought about using the 16kg for snatches, but I could not say yes to the questions"Can I do 20 straight reps with that weight?"

Last edited:
Week 3 done.

Session A

A1 Snatch 12kg
A2 Press 16kg

B1 Snatch 12kg
B2 Bottoms Up Goblet Squat 16kg

Session B

A1 Push Press 16kg
A2 Bottoms Up Goblet Squat 16kg

B1 Push Press 16kg
B2 Supported Row 16kg

I increased the weight to 16kg for the goblet squat and supported row. I felt more confident that my low back could handle this load for those exercises.

Compared to last week I did not always need to rest for the maximum 2 minutes between the paired A1-A2 sets. At times, I was ready to go with 5-30 seconds left on the timer I'd set to 2 minutes. I still needed the full 2 minutes for the B1-B2 sets, due to accumulated fatigue from the A1-A2 portinon.

I added the following to my recovery day routine:

Tall Kneeling Arm Raises To Side - 60 seconds per side
Quadruped Sidebending - 60 seconds per side
Monkey 180/360 - 2 to 4 minutes.

These are from GMB's article on fixing shoulder restrictions. They are recommended for addressing my main shoulder restriction, which is the back arch when reaching overhead. While checking out the Monkey 180/360, I found that GMB recommends the 3-point Bridge so I also added that to my routine. My mobility needs should be covered now with the breathing and mobility drills from Kettlebell Strong covering t-spine, hips, etc. plus the GMB stuff.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom