all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Kettlebell ICT

First day of week 9 is in the books. Only managed 4 rounds of each segment. Not really sure I'll be able to compress the rest down enough to squeeze in 5 rounds even by week 12, but even 4 rounds feels like a enough work.

After doing 60 seconds of heavy two-handed swings (32kg), I was not able to jump straight into the double front squats (2x24kg), and needed 30-45 seconds to get my heart rate and breathing down enough to feel safe loading up for 6 reps of squats. Even in weeks 1-8, I often needed 15-30 seconds before I could clean up those 24s for squats. So, not exactly following the option 2 protocol, but doing the best I can...

Not really sure I'll be able to compress the rest down enough to squeeze in 5 rounds even by week 12, but even 4 rounds feels like a enough work.
No way to get in 5 rounds of the swings... at least not for a regular human being.

I'm doing Option 1, and I try not to rush the strength part. Then the conditioning is at least 1.25 minutes each, and three rests of 2 min...
I did push for 5 with the PP (which was pretty tough at a minute) but I also broke protocol and went to over 16 min per segment.

Since this is a beta test...

Disclaimer: Been a paying customer of Geoff's PDFs & courses on and off since 2011. So I'm all in and mainly rely on his guides.

I've come to the conclusion this could use a v2, has some room for improvement in design, and here's my feedback on it.

First, the program itself is confusing. We all got past that part eventually, but nesting A1 A2 B1 B2 inside parent groups A and B is why everyone got stumped at first. It should be
  • Option: SC or CS
    • Session A
      • 1a
      • 1b
      • 2a
      • 2b
    • Session B
      • 1a
      • 1b
      • 2a
      • 2b
I think the content itself here is amazing but the communication/instruction of that content needs a redesign, mainly page 11. I ended up making my own weekly chart with a better communication of it, but given this is copyrighted material I won't share it here. Just food for thought and again as someone who works in the world of beta software, I do expect to be able to give feedback on beta programs

Second, I think timed one handed activities add an extra element of unnecessary complexity/dexterity, especially one-handed alternating swings. For count-based one-handed work, you could do 15 swings on one side, switch, and 15 on the other. But 30 seconds of swings alternating hands at every swing isn't personally the acrobatics i want to focus on during a hard workout. So I ended up only wanting to do the double-bell or two-handed variants in the options.

I'm going to start the whole thing over next week because I was trying to do alternating one-hands this whole time and just disliked the distraction, came to this realization today, and want to give it a fair shot.

Since this is a beta test...

Disclaimer: Been a paying customer of Geoff's PDFs & courses on and off since 2011. So I'm all in and mainly rely on his guides.

I've come to the conclusion this could use a v2, has some room for improvement in design, and here's my feedback on it.

First, the program itself is confusing. We all got past that part eventually, but nesting A1 A2 B1 B2 inside parent groups A and B is why everyone got stumped at first. It should be
  • Option: SC or CS
    • Session A
      • 1a
      • 1b
      • 2a
      • 2b
    • Session B
      • 1a
      • 1b
      • 2a
      • 2b
I think the content itself here is amazing but the communication/instruction of that content needs a redesign, mainly page 11. I ended up making my own weekly chart with a better communication of it, but given this is copyrighted material I won't share it here. Just food for thought and again as someone who works in the world of beta software, I do expect to be able to give feedback on beta programs

Second, I think timed one handed activities add an extra element of unnecessary complexity/dexterity, especially one-handed alternating swings. For count-based one-handed work, you could do 15 swings on one side, switch, and 15 on the other. But 30 seconds of swings alternating hands at every swing isn't personally the acrobatics i want to focus on during a hard workout. So I ended up only wanting to do the double-bell or two-handed variants in the options.

I'm going to start the whole thing over next week because I was trying to do alternating one-hands this whole time and just disliked the distraction, came to this realization today, and want to give it a fair shot.
On that note - as an Option 1 guy: I'm pleased with my choice and don't think I would have been successful going Option 2
(finishing week 10 tomorrow).

No ICT work for me this week due to illness (germs going around the house finally got me).
Hope to get back on program this weekend.
So my question is - should I carry on from where I left off, or step back a week, or step back a couple of sessions, or something else?

I guess it depends on how much weaker you feel after the illness. Luckily so far didn't have this problem while running ICT but year ago I got a flu while running the Giant. I had a fever for almost a week so it weakened me a lot - it resulted in two weeks off training but after two weeks break I still felt strength deficit. I was two weeks into a program before the illness so when I came back I used two remaining weeks as a gentle back to the training, with no desire for getting many reps and sets, and after that I reran the whole 4 weeks.

In case like yours, with just a week break, I would do a sample training to check the fitness level after illness and, if there's no significant performance drop, would go on with where you left off.

Finished Week 7!

In my weekly posts I have been documenting how the DFSQs have become my nemesis during Phase 2. Well I decided to make a change this week. I decided to try 24s instead of 28s. In the materials for KB ICT, Geoff says it's permissible to change KB weights during the program but wait until Week 7. (I'm sure he meant to increase the weight....but I took it as tacit permission to go down in weight.)

I had a much better week than I have had during Phase 2. I was able to get 5 sets of DFSQs every session vs the 4 sets I was getting with the 28s. My form was better with the 24s. (They are plenty heavy after the conditioning movements. )

Also I am staying within the guidelines of the program by immediately doing the strength lift after the conditioning movements. In the later part of the set, I was having to pause between conditioning and the DFSQs to catch my breath with the 28s.

I enjoyed this week!

I'm running Option 2 with the advanced movements. I am using 20k bells for the conditioning. I am using 2x28s for the DMP and 2x24s for the DFSQS and Renegade Rows.

Bring on Week 8!

Last edited:
Head bowed this morning... I'm an injury victim as well... Subscapularis and teres strain on the left shoulder, iliacus strain in the right pelvic bowl... Didn't warm up a bunch during the last 4 weeks due to time crunch and I'm paying the piper :( onwards and upwards fellas and felletes
I’m out too….sprained ankle whilst running. I like this program, but i don't enjoy it if that makes any sense. Left very little energy or motivation for other endeavors. My own fault, not Geoff’s.

I’m out too….sprained ankle whilst running. I like this program, but i don't enjoy it if that makes any sense. Left very little energy or motivation for other endeavors. My own fault, not Geoff’s.
Oh man, that sucks. But I know what you mean about this program: out of all of Geoff's programs that I have tried, I'm "enjoying" this one the least. Might be good for me, and might be effective, but I am eagerly looking forward to the end of these 12 weeks to switch to something less taxing on my system.

I guess it depends on how much weaker you feel after the illness. Luckily so far didn't have this problem while running ICT but year ago I got a flu while running the Giant. I had a fever for almost a week so it weakened me a lot - it resulted in two weeks off training but after two weeks break I still felt strength deficit. I was two weeks into a program before the illness so when I came back I used two remaining weeks as a gentle back to the training, with no desire for getting many reps and sets, and after that I reran the whole 4 weeks.

In case like yours, with just a week break, I would do a sample training to check the fitness level after illness and, if there's no significant performance drop, would go on with where you left off.
Thanks, good points. Slow and steady and observe, adjust accordingly. I managed some light Indian clubs yesterday, cancelled spin class this morning, going to yoga instead, see how I feel afterwards. Then maybe back to kettlebells tomorrow.

I am eagerly looking forward to the end of these 12 weeks to switch to something less taxing on my system.
I agree & am glad to hear from another.

I've needed to sleep more (which unfortunately I really haven't) and eat more (which unfortunately I really have).
I definitely see positive body comp changes, but I bet I'll lose more weight after I stop.

Kettlebell ICT: Week 6 Completed

These are the kettlebell weights I used:

Session A

A1 Snatch 12kg
A2 Press 16kg

B1 Snatch 12kg
B2 Bottoms Up Goblet Squat 16kg

Session B

A1 Push Press 16kg
A2 Bottoms Up Goblet Squat 16kg

B1 Push Press 16kg
B2 Supported Row 16kg

When I started ICT, I tried dead hangs as part of my post-workout recovery. My body felt fine during the hang, but afterwards, I felt an onset of upper back soreness that was unusually intense. This happened after my Session A workouts, which are done in the mornings. I think the snatch practice had something to do with it. This week, I tried dead hangs in the afternoon instead of immediately after the morning workout. This time there was no surprise unpleasant soreness.

Bodyweight is about 156 lbs, down from the pre-ICT weight of about 161 lbs.

I got similar feelings like you guys, the plan is for me demanding on both physical and mental aspects. During the workout before each set I have flashbacks from when I was doing some running trainings with 400m intervals - I know it's going to be hard and unpleasant. However after the training I'm satisfied that I did it.

Finished week 7, I'm not sure if I see any significant fat loss but I don't eat super clean during this program so it's hard to expect miracles. Definitely feel that my legs got in a better shape, I find it easier than ever to control my glutes in all of the movements, not only hinge but also stable support for overhead movements. I'm unsure how it'll go with swings on 60s rounds though.

I got similar feelings like you guys, the plan is for me demanding on both physical and mental aspects.
Totally reminded me of CF metcon feels with how glycolic it got. Looked good on paper but at 47 my body definitely prefers A+A, AXE, Iron Cardio, running, sled work...

My shoulder tweak happened at the halfway point when I was trialing the increased press weight. Still felt it today when I was playing with my boy. Tried to carry on but 450 seconds of push presses was too hard to overcome. Staring down the barrel of a minute of those each round and it was time to call it. Juat had some cupping and graston yesterday to help it along.... Left shoulder where the teres attach to the humerus and deep in the subscap god knows where.

Completed week 9.
Much better feeling than the first day this week.

Swings were better- I basically learned how to save energy by hinging less and snapping up more crisply. Good life lesson there.

Recovery much quicker. Up and about 8 minutes after completion.

Taping callus helped immensely.

Have tough schedule next three weeks with some international travel. Hope I can complete as planned.
Week 11, Day 1
Recover much better still.
2HSWING still painful in forearms and just plain very challenging for my 63 yr old person.
Looking forward to a deload and rest period when this is done.

Also to retest my 10RM mp

Well...

My wife has been sick since Wednesday. We went to the doctor yesterday. She has COVID. The doc wanted to test me. I am also positive for COVID. (WTF!!)

I don't even feel that sick. I still have my sense of taste. I have had a slight cough and some congestion in my sinuses which began Wednesday morning. So I believe that is when a became symptomatic for quarantine purposes.

So this news means I did two ICT sessions with COVID. (!!) As I documented above in post #267, I felt like I had a good week. COVID is such a strange virus.

I am due to begin Week 8 tomorrow morning. I will evaluate how I feel tomorrow morning. If I don't feel up to it, I will begin Week 8 on Tuesday.

@blad51 take care, it can be a weird one for sure. When three members of my family had it we all had completely different symptoms, most odd.

I woke up today and felt relatively healthy this morning.

I was able to start Week 8. I didn't notice any problems during the session. My lats were fatigued during the late session conditioning lifts. But that's pretty typical for me during this program.

The COVID protocol at work means I can't return to my Office until Friday. So I will work from home this week.

After a week and a bit rest from being ill, back at it last night. Decided to go back a couple of sessions and restart the week I stopped at. The swings and pressing were ok, but swings and squats was almost too much, the squats really took all my effort.

Back
Top Bottom