all posts post new thread

Kettlebell 15 min x 3 per week. Recommendation of routine for busy guy !

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Without knowing your situation it's hard to give advice. But you may be in a situation I've been in so take what is useful:

There was a time when I only had 45 mins a week. In retrospect this was a period when I simply did not have the daily habit of a physical practice. Establishing the daily habit was WAY more important that what exactly I was doing. Similarly, when I discovered S&S after a few months I found out that doing one thing very well is WAY more important than doing a fully diversified program. The inimitable @Steve Freides has pointed out that swings are 80% of the bang for your buck in S&S. If I literally had 45 mins a week again I would practice swings for power as taught in S&S 7 minutes a day every single day.

I think what you'll find is (read "what I found was") that 7 minutes will turn to 10 then 15 then more. I think you'll also find that you are so much more effective in the rest of life that you almost can't invest too much time in your physical practice.

Hope this is helpful, if not I'm sure one of the other great replys you've gotten will be!

Hey,

I agree with TravisDirks : swings are fundamental. Thus, sometimes, you can take your 15 minutes and do only swings. You write down the number. Then, another time (eg the week after), you do it again and you compare. Each time, you can try to break the record.

Kind regards,

Pet'

I would ad that 10 minutes of swings using the kind of progression you find in the "One" program (from Mr Neupert) is really effective. it doesn't take much time while producing great results and you can play endlessly with the combinations of time/rest periodes within a 10 minutes time frame.

Lots of good ideas here for getting some good work in, and I think any of them could work in the given time contstraints.

However, I think the biggest thing will be what TravisDirks says. Dial in your time. You will most likely find you have a little more of it than you thought.

I really liked this article on how to break down your time. Hope it's OK to link to another publication (though we do have SFG rep there thanks to Craig Marker).

Be Better at Life: How to Find More Time to Train

Are your shoulders just sore or are they hurt? If you are just starting and weak in that area they may be sore. I had a similar issue and patience in working with the weight i was at for a long time got me right through it.

The easiest way to get a lot done in a short time is dial the weight done a little. You can look for the sweet spot - and I'm sure @Geoff Neupert recommends the weights in his programs after careful consideration - is to pick a weight that, while still heavy, allows you volume in a shorter time than a heavier weight might.

-S-

My 2 cents - if the TGU hurts your shoulder a lot of what has been suggested will irritate your shoulder. Whatever program you choose to do, only start it after you have addressed the issue that is causing shoulder pain, then be consistent with your program. Pain isn't a fitness issue, seek out someone trained to figure out what is going on. Otherwise, you'll likely be asking for recommendations on what to replace your presses with because it hurts your shoulder. Just like they say every time you get on an airplane, "Put on your oxygen mask before helping others" - take care of yourself first, then get fit.

Hey Travis, this is such a good point...I like this idea, well, it´s even more simple than S & S :) I will definitely consider it ! Thank you !

Are your shoulders just sore or are they hurt? If you are just starting and weak in that area they may be sore. I had a similar issue and patience in working with the weight i was at for a long time got me right through it.
Hello Shawn, it's also a good point to consider...well, it doesnt necessarily hurt when im working out. In fact it doesnt hurt at all. Its just the following days that this right arm is either sore or hurts a little when i raise my hand above the head...and i have this feeling of insecurity in it. Its the case with my right arm only....and it also makes this popping/cracking sound... I dont think its very serious but based on the recommendation of you guys, maybe i should go and see my orthopedist...

@Andrej SK, the getup should not bother your shoulders. @B.Hetzler makes a good and important point - the first order of business is to find out if you have shoulder issues that need to be addressed, and/or if you have getup technique issues that need to be addressed. Either of these will mean that you don't train the getup until you take care of what's in need of attention.

-S-

Hello Shawn, it's also a good point to consider...well, it doesnt necessarily hurt when im working out. In fact it doesnt hurt at all. Its just the following days that this right arm is either sore or hurts a little when i raise my hand above the head...and i have this feeling of insecurity in it. Its the case with my right arm only....and it also makes this popping/cracking sound... I dont think its very serious but based on the recommendation of you guys, maybe i should go and see my orthopedist...
The fact that it doesnt hurt during is a good sign in my experience.

I do "modified" S&s. I'll do swings as written, but I have replaced tgu's to clean and press. 3-6 days a week. 2 sets of 50%-80% max reps. Does it work for you or me. I don't know. Maybe. :)

I'll tell you in few weeks.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom