all posts post new thread

5/3/1 - Back from the Dead(lift)

Session 9

Heavy Lower/Light Upper

A) Deadlift (natural stance -still finding it)
135 kgs x 1 x 8 sets

B) Incline Press
135 x 6 x 3 sets

C) High Bar Squats
135 x 5
225 x 3
275 x 2 x 3 sets

225 x 3 (to practice descent/pause.)

Stretching.

Notes:
-Still need to tighten up deadlift setup.
-Hips/torso need to collude.
-Glutes need ROM, wedge.
-Practice: wedging, floating deadlifts, slow negatives to find starting position.
May try out new setup…and get hips closer to bar by moving feet and this knees outwards.
-Took 3 sets of squats to find depth, more deep bottom squat position to open up hips (pauses, prying goblet squats, in the well squats).
-Incline for variety, recovery and balance , done lightly

Session 10

Heavy Upper

A) Bench Press
165 lbs. x 5
180 x 4
195 x 3
210 x 2
225 x 1 x 3 sets

185 x 6 x 2 sets

Notes:
- lower body fatigued, affected bench a bit.
-did some other work after but nothing major. Feeling tired from work but hard weekend over.

A bit tired but workload manageable. Front squats and dips and RDLS tomorrow perhaps

The Past Sessions:Summary and Analysis of each lift.

Bench Press-

The bench has really been coming together lately. I attribute this to daily pressing and upper body work. The competition technique is practiced every other day or so depending on how I feel.

Variability is what makes daily pressing possible. Here are a few of the factors involved:

Load, grip, angle, implement, speed.

My competition technique is trained mostly during the speed/volume day. My bench press technique is as described in Pavel’s PTTP Pro. However, on light days, or repetition days, I use the BB technique with my legs up. This is more of a flow exercise that gives the shoulders a ? pump and stretch, done smooth and very steady. I feel this is great for recovery and the stabilizers, which don’t get much work with the push press style bench.

My Competition bench technique-
My competition technique is about speed and power off the chest. This is accomplished by a perfect setup, descent and bar placement on the chest. My arch is beat when moderate on the liftoff but the goal is to increase it on descent. This is done by pulling in the lats on the unrack to properly place the bar, placing the weight on the feet by glute tension, and allowing the larger muscles of the body to carry the load. The legs, hips, back and chest. For speed, the arms are somewhat loose.

Keys ate
-moderate arch, wide grip
-shoulders down, chest up, weight on feet
-squat and throw the weight like a push press
-tension on press is on largest muscle groups
-body is a spring ready to explode up.

I like to treat the bench more like a throw then a grind Press. A push press. Competition training uses mostly long pauses to really entrain the bottom position and develop drive off the chest.

Drive vs Explosive
I talked with an older trainer a while back who was hip to the old school ways. I was blowing through deadlifts, swinging my back around. He started talking about strength and how slow/high tension movements were the key. When I asked him about explosiveness, he corrected me and said I was looking for drive, not explosiveness.

Explosiveness is scattered, chaotic, reckless.
Drive is controlled, channelized, focused.

We are looking for cruise missile accuracy in the movement, which sometimes requires slower training, hence the slower negatives, pauses at sticking points and extra upper body stability work.

Load/frequency/volume
In order for frequent training, fatigue is kept at bay. Accumulating volume without fatigue has been a key for my progress. I never push to psyching or into poor motor mechanics. When I do, it’s okay. I just call it quits and take a few light days doing dips, pushups, or dumbbell work….anything that makes my shoulder feel better, not tired or overworked.

I want to train heavy, but most of my work is in the 60-85% range. To increase load without inducing fatigue, I will incoorporate lower stress/higher load exercises. This is accomplished by reducing ROM.

My choice of exercises to do this will be:
Board Presses, Bridge or Decline Presses

This will get my heavy needs in. Supra max lifts have great weight in increasing the main lift. The trick is to not go too heavy. I think using your full ROM training max and doing sets of 3 is plenty fine. This gets you accustomed to holding heavier weights, developing stability, confidence and “reserve strength”.

Light days serve several functions: recovery, hypertrophy, balance.

The shoulder is one of the most mobile/vulnerable joints in the body. Think of all the angles it can accomplish. When you add a moderate resistance, you have many angles to strengthen it from. Doing just bench presses can cause issues…

Inclines, dips, flies, overhead presses, side presses, dumbbell presses, pushups, side planks, not to mention all the corresponding angles to pull from or work the posterior of the shoulder.

I believe these areas can and should be worked daily, using a variety of moderate exercises, each serving a different functions. For example, if the pecs are tight from bench, BTN Presses can be used to open the chest up for squatting and develop all the other intricate muscles around the shoulder that this unique angle uses. Movement quality is number one priority…always.

Training this way has kept my pressing feeling strong. This week, I have done

DE Bench- 185 x 3 x 5 sets (2 second pause)
Feet up Bench - 165 lbs x 10 x 2 sets
Incline Bench 165 x 5 x 3 sets
Bench Press- 205 lbs (3 second pause), 205 lbs x 2 (pause on chest, pause at sticking point, pause at chest, full press)

DE Bench

205 long pause

205 (multirep)

Keys to continue progress.
1) Increase load but decrease ROM/minimize fatigue.
2) Instead of increasing volume/load on comp lift, own weights in 60-85% by focusing on surface features ie, increasing pause lengths, slowing descent, adding pauses at multiple points on reps.
3) Continue recovery work properly and stay healthy!

Hello @Antti. I should ask you the same!!!

Things have been really great lately actually! I’m back in the US, California to be exact, and mainly just working and preparing for returning back to France in January. I came back to California to visit family, and save a bit of money for paying for my last semester of schooling and living in Paris.

A lot of my free time has been training actually and I’m considering signing up for a meet this year before I go back to Paris. I’ve been experimenting quite a bit and I’ll have to update my blog on my findings! The focus has been deadlift and bench with the twist of Sheiko and Westside shades.

How about you???

Hello @Antti. I should ask you the same!!!

Things have been really great lately actually! I’m back in the US, California to be exact, and mainly just working and preparing for returning back to France in January. I came back to California to visit family, and save a bit of money for paying for my last semester of schooling and living in Paris.

A lot of my free time has been training actually and I’m considering signing up for a meet this year before I go back to Paris. I’ve been experimenting quite a bit and I’ll have to update my blog on my findings! The focus has been deadlift and bench with the twist of Sheiko and Westside shades.

How about you???

Sounds great!

What have you planned to do after your last semester?

I always like the idea of signing up for a meet. I'd love to hear about your experiments and findings.

Me? I'm slowly and modestly trying to grow my coaching and exercise business. Some success, some covid related problems, some bureaucracy and time wasting. Still, it's clearly a good path for me as when I get to do the real thing it's enjoyable and my life is more stress free in general.

Training wise, I'm sadly still not at 100% with my lower body but in my best condition so far. Speaking of Westside, the raw bench volume program, slightly modified, was a great success for me. My bench has been going up, short term goal is 400lbs - this year? - and long term I want to do 200kg in masters' 1. I got some meets on my calendar, bench only for the time being, but looking to get into full meets next year. Also starting to compete in masters next year.

Sounds great!

What have you planned to do after your last semester?

I always like the idea of signing up for a meet. I'd love to hear about your experiments and findings.

Me? I'm slowly and modestly trying to grow my coaching and exercise business. Some success, some covid related problems, some bureaucracy and time wasting. Still, it's clearly a good path for me as when I get to do the real thing it's enjoyable and my life is more stress free in general.

Training wise, I'm sadly still not at 100% with my lower body but in my best condition so far. Speaking of Westside, the raw bench volume program, slightly modified, was a great success for me. My bench has been going up, short term goal is 400lbs - this year? - and long term I want to do 200kg in masters' 1. I got some meets on my calendar, bench only for the time being, but looking to get into full meets next year. Also starting to compete in masters next year.
Yes thank you! I hope to remain in Europe, Paris specifically. I haven’t decided if I need lab to go for a masters degree yet or work though! I still have some time to mull that over I suppose.

I understand. CoVid has thrown a wrench in nearly every gear that turns the globe…except for the actual gears that turn the globe…but I am glad you are doing work that has fulfillment to yourself! I’m kind of considering pursuing similar work myself.

As for the meet, I’ve yet to register. This upcoming few months will be chaotic with the holidays, the bureaucracy of returning to Paris and all the logistics involved with all that.

As for the bench program, was it the 10x10,8x8,6x6, wide grips in place of DE day you refer to??? I wanted to give that a go some time.

Im sorry to hear of your injury woes, but happy you have been able to channel your focus on other positive aspects of your training. As for the bench press when you hit 400 lbs and 200 kg and Im knocking on 300 lbs door, we can talk bench shop! ?

Also, I’ve been experimenting with DE benching and I’ve found… @Kenny Croxdale was right. I’m beginning my to see great benefits for the raw lifter with these…

It sure is great to hear from you @Antti ! I appreciate you dropping a line!

Yes thank you! I hope to remain in Europe, Paris specifically. I haven’t decided if I need lab to go for a masters degree yet or work though! I still have some time to mull that over I suppose.

I understand. CoVid has thrown a wrench in nearly every gear that turns the globe…except for the actual gears that turn the globe…but I am glad you are doing work that has fulfillment to yourself! I’m kind of considering pursuing similar work myself.

As for the meet, I’ve yet to register. This upcoming few months will be chaotic with the holidays, the bureaucracy of returning to Paris and all the logistics involved with all that.

As for the bench program, was it the 10x10,8x8,6x6, wide grips in place of DE day you refer to??? I wanted to give that a go some time.

Im sorry to hear of your injury woes, but happy you have been able to channel your focus on other positive aspects of your training. As for the bench press when you hit 400 lbs and 200 kg and Im knocking on 300 lbs door, we can talk bench shop! ?

Also, I’ve been experimenting with DE benching and I’ve found… @Kenny Croxdale was right. I’m beginning my to see great benefits for the raw lifter with these…

It sure is great to hear from you @Antti ! I appreciate you dropping a line!

Hope you get the chance for the meet.

The original program is that, yes. I used the max width grip as I couldn't fit an illegal wide grip in the stand, I remember I tried once years ago and it ended bloody. I didn't really do the Westside style training otherwise. I ran all three set/rep schemes simultaneously and after I got a round with all three I did either a real ME session or rep max session with a heavy load. I chose the loads based on a hunch, 100kg, 110kg, 120kg, and they worked great. I also did it with relatively high frequency, two or three times a week, but didn't do practically any assistance. I did two blocks with a short break in between, went up in load six times in total. I'm planning to pick up where I left in some months and do a single block but it will get hard. The way I do it it's a shock cycle and not sustainable for long but it works and it was actually good for any niggles and woes.

I too have been experimenting with some DE work but I won't yet say anything about its effectiveness.

I’m glad it worked for you. I actually feel best in an illegal grip despite the overwhelming literature that condemns it.

I’ve been benching quite frequently. I’ve become somewhat of a technique junkie. I vary the loads/grips and methods each day. I’ve found a push press style bench fits me best.

Push press bench style

I wish to increase my bench as much as possible while maintaining bodyweight. I feel it would be difficult for me to recover with 10x10 days with the goal of minimizing weight gain. Im topping at about 165, the weight class I’ve always competed in.

The intricacies of the bench press has intrigued me, as have that of the deadlift. I haven’t squatted done much in ironically, my squat was the lift that was actually constantly improving without much focused effort in it. After only a month back to the bar, I was able to low bar squat 295 lbs for 5, beltless and with no mental stress.

My deadlift and bench weren’t so lucky, hence the specialization.

I’m discovering all sorts of issues I’ve never addressed in these lifts. Frequent practice or GTG can be misleading when it notes that every rep must be perfect. In essence…if one could perform a perfect rep every single time they touched a barbell, they’d never need to practice. Gtg is essentially seeking the perfect rep, performing it then finding the flaw/weakness in the rep and adjusting. The cycle perpetuates ad Infinium.

It took frequent practice for me to iron out little things that were holding me back. These including my bench rack height, unrack, foot position and descent control. Notice all these things have nothing to do with the strength…

Alas my deadlift setup has also been modified and I’m discovering the more I train one stance, the stronger it’s opposite gets.

Also, I train the deadlift near daily with mutations of the main lift. For example, my start has been an issue for years. I’m finding the American Style of pulling to be solving some of these problems. So I practice sometimes just the start of the deadlift, finding the perfect position.

Like this

Note the third rep is the best because the first two are “practice.”

I think GTG is benefitting my lifts quite well. However, it’s ironic I never really do them in the same manner throughout the week, but merely isolate certain components each time that need work.

I’m glad it worked for you. I actually feel best in an illegal grip despite the overwhelming literature that condemns it.

I’ve been benching quite frequently. I’ve become somewhat of a technique junkie. I vary the loads/grips and methods each day. I’ve found a push press style bench fits me best.

Push press bench style

I wish to increase my bench as much as possible while maintaining bodyweight. I feel it would be difficult for me to recover with 10x10 days with the goal of minimizing weight gain. Im topping at about 165, the weight class I’ve always competed in.

The intricacies of the bench press has intrigued me, as have that of the deadlift. I haven’t squatted done much in ironically, my squat was the lift that was actually constantly improving without much focused effort in it. After only a month back to the bar, I was able to low bar squat 295 lbs for 5, beltless and with no mental stress.

My deadlift and bench weren’t so lucky, hence the specialization.

I’m discovering all sorts of issues I’ve never addressed in these lifts. Frequent practice or GTG can be misleading when it notes that every rep must be perfect. In essence…if one could perform a perfect rep every single time they touched a barbell, they’d never need to practice. Gtg is essentially seeking the perfect rep, performing it then finding the flaw/weakness in the rep and adjusting. The cycle perpetuates ad Infinium.

It took frequent practice for me to iron out little things that were holding me back. These including my bench rack height, unrack, foot position and descent control. Notice all these things have nothing to do with the strength…

Alas my deadlift setup has also been modified and I’m discovering the more I train one stance, the stronger it’s opposite gets.

Also, I train the deadlift near daily with mutations of the main lift. For example, my start has been an issue for years. I’m finding the American Style of pulling to be solving some of these problems. So I practice sometimes just the start of the deadlift, finding the perfect position.

Like this

Note the third rep is the best because the first two are “practice.”

I think GTG is benefitting my lifts quite well. However, it’s ironic I never really do them in the same manner throughout the week, but merely isolate certain components each time that need work.

The volume or workload on my bench program did get very, very big by the end. I think at most I did over 25 tons a week.

I get what you're saying about the weight gain. This kind of volume is of course a hypertrophy stimulus and works the whole upper body. That said, how much more mass can a relatively advanced natural lifter gain just in their upper body, just from the bench press? I'm not sure it's a lot.

I like the high frequency with the bench. I prefer twice a week as the minimum and feel it's sustainable even with harder training as long as there isn't too much of a novel stimulus. I like your idea of frequent variation.

As it is, as a variety block I did overhead press for a month or so alongside close grip bench just recently. Hadn't done it in ages. I did do a block of seated press in the end of the last year but nothing at all this year. Managed a 5kg PR at the end of the block. Carryover. Variation is great.

That overhead press block was otherwise also pretty interesting and very simple. To me it also proved the folly of general, or universal, percentage based programming.

Your GTG approach sounds interesting. I'm eager to see the results in practice. As I now have a pretty much fully functional home gym I'm planning on training more often and in smaller pieces. So a GTG approach for a lift or two interests me.

The volume or workload on my bench program did get very, very big by the end. I think at most I did over 25 tons a week.

I get what you're saying about the weight gain. This kind of volume is of course a hypertrophy stimulus and works the whole upper body. That said, how much more mass can a relatively advanced natural lifter gain just in their upper body, just from the bench press? I'm not sure it's a lot.

I like the high frequency with the bench. I prefer twice a week as the minimum and feel it's sustainable even with harder training as long as there isn't too much of a novel stimulus. I like your idea of frequent variation.

As it is, as a variety block I did overhead press for a month or so alongside close grip bench just recently. Hadn't done it in ages. I did do a block of seated press in the end of the last year but nothing at all this year. Managed a 5kg PR at the end of the block. Carryover. Variation is great.

That overhead press block was otherwise also pretty interesting and very simple. To me it also proved the folly of general, or universal, percentage based programming.

Your GTG approach sounds interesting. I'm eager to see the results in practice. As I now have a pretty much fully functional home gym I'm planning on training more often and in smaller pieces. So a GTG approach for a lift or two interests me.
I feel perhaps if hypertrophy/volume with a specific lift has not been a mainstay in ones program, the more hypertrophy/strength is possible. I remember reading Louie’s writings on that program and his weight seemed to increase quite a bit but also, his bench/weight ratio improved. His raw bench was certainly well over double Bw by the end, a no less than elite standard.

The problem that arises with gtg is when one tries to push the intensity without backing off. Light days are just as, if not more, important than heavy days. Take the one arm push-up for example. If one day you did heavy negatives and your muscles are toast, doing one arm planks, even on an elevated surface, the next day should still be manageable and will in fact keep you improving without bud big high fatigue levels.

As for DE bench, I’ve found it not a lockout training method, as is believed, but a way to continue the press all the way through. I have a tendency to kind of ease through the lockout, but the band teaches me to “push all the way through the rep” as in to train me to not stop pressing myself into the bench with my legs after the initial surge off the chest.

It also serves as a light/recovery/technique day. No need to increase weight on these. It feels powerful to throw the barbell. A grind style lifter may not benefit much from this however. You have a copy of PRTP Professional yea? My programming is along the lines of Papalov’s style in the “Total” section.

A 10 kg improvement on an overhead press is huge!!! For the high volume benching, did you keep the weight static from set to set??? I was a bit confused by how Louie worded this program. It sounded like for the six by six, you worked up to a heavy set of six using 5 sets of 6 and tried for a 6RM. I can’t imagine doing the same procedure for the 10 x 10 phase unless I was adding 10 lbs per warmup….

I’ve found with the deadlift, I’m actually neither a sumo or conventional puller…I’m an unconventional deadlifter…more on this later.

Last edited:
I feel perhaps if hypertrophy/volume with a specific lift has not been a mainstay in ones program, the more hypertrophy/strength is possible. I remember reading Louie’s writings on that program and his weight seemed to increase quite a bit but also, his bench/weight ratio improved. His raw bench was certainly well over double Bw by the end, a no less than elite standard.

The problem that arises with gtg is when one tries to push the intensity without backing off. Light days are just as, if not more, important than heavy days. Take the one arm push-up for example. If one day you did heavy negatives and your muscles are toast, doing one arm planks, even on an elevated surface, the next day should still be manageable and will in fact keep you improving without bud big high fatigue levels.

As for DE bench, I’ve found it not a lockout training method, as is believed, but a way to continue the press all the way through. I have a tendency to kind of ease through the lockout, but the band teaches me to “push all the way through the rep” as in to train me to not stop pressing myself into the bench with my legs after the initial surge off the chest.

It also serves as a light/recovery/technique day. No need to increase weight on these. It feels powerful to throw the barbell. A grind style lifter may not benefit much from this however. You have a copy of PRTP Professional yea? My programming is along the lines of Papalov’s style in the “Total” section.

A 10 kg improvement on an overhead press is huge!!! For the high volume benching, did you keep the weight static from set to set??? I was a bit confused by how Louie worded this program. It sounded like for the six by six, you worked up to a heavy set of six using 5 sets of 6 and tried for a 6RM. I can’t imagine doing the same procedure for the 10 x 10 phase unless I was adding 10 lbs per warmup….

I’ve found with the deadlift, I’m actually neither a sumo or conventional puller…I’m an unconventional deadlifter…more on this later.

Of course, the less one has trained for hypertrophy, the more one gains with such a program. I think I grew with it. But, how much can it be in actual fat free mass? Enough to throw one out of a weight class? I would imagine leg, glute, back training to be more susceptible to it.

I agree that GTG should be light. In my experience and understanding, it's in the far light end of how training feels at the time. But one must monitor things as with time the workload gets very, very big.

One problem with the barbell GTG and getting better with the lifts, or getting older as well, is that I like the warm-up or ramp up sets, at least some.

I really like the aspect of the resistance bands you mention with the DE bench. I feel it teaches continuous acceleration of the bar very well, there is no time to ride the momentum.

In my recent DE experiments I haven't used bands yet though they are on the menu in the future. Emphasizing the acceleration both ways is more taxing than I thought. To me, the reversal is very heavy on the chest.

Speak of it, have you noticed how the DE method has developed lately at Westside? They're getting rather extreme and I hesitate to call it DE or speed work. They've switched to 5*5 and the percentages go up to 90%! Crazy.

I can understand the confusion about the exacts of Simmons' program. The way I did it, I used a constant load for all the work sets. I started relatively light.

I am very pleased with the 5kg PR in the press and I do consider it a great success, especially for the training. It makes me think.

Day 1
Heavy Bench

warmup-mobility

A1) Bench Press-215 x 1,2,3 …1,2,3 …1,2
A2) Band Rows,Ys, face pulls
A3) Single Arm BU KB press - x 3R/L
A4) Lat Stretch

B) Seal Rows - 95 lbs. x 8 x 3 sets
C) Single Arm KB OHP- 53 lbs x 6 x 3 sets
D) OAS- 53 lbs. x 10R/10L x 3 sets

First triple on bench

Notes:
First day back. Felt decent. Need to work pauses again with lighter weights in week and load legs with heavy weights. Lighter local drills on off days for pressing muscles but also high tension exercises and single limb work.

Day 2
Deadlifts

Warmup-Mobility, Renegade lunges, single leg Dl

A) Sumo DL - 140 kgs/308 lbs x 1 x 15 sets
B1) Pullups - 25 lbs. x 5 x 3 sets
B2) B.S.S - 2 x 25 lbs. KB x 6 x 3 sets
C1) Side Bend - 145 lbs. x 3 x 3 sets

Mini Upper

A1) Dumbbell Rows on incline -35 lbs x 20,20
A2) Dips - 20,20

Band face pulls, tris, bis- 50 reps

Notes: double overhand or hook from now on. Over/under causing issues in setup. Knees move in at start a bit. Trying a wider stance.

Day 3

Bench Medium

Warmup

A)Bench Press-185 lbs. x 2,3,5…2,3,5…2,3 (25)

B1) Single Arm Row- 63 lbs. KB x 6 x 3 sets
B2) OA BP- 63 lbs. KB x 8 x 2 sets
C) KB Snatch - 44 lbs. x 10R/10L x 3 sets

Bench felt smooth today. Better pauses and better control with 185 lbs. Using the lats as breaks and opening the chest. Slowing descent down. The balance between speed and tension.

Day 4

A1) Deadlift- 150 kgs/330 lbs. x 1 x 15 sets
B1) Goblet Squat/2S series - 2 x 22 kgs x 5/5 x 2 sets
B2) Chins (neutral grip) - 45 lbs x 5 x 2 sets

Upper Mini 2 rounds
A1) Band Pull Aparts x 25 r
A2) Push-up (Close Grip/Dead stop) - 10 r

Deadlifts felt good. Messed around with hook grip. Still playing with stance. Some days, a little narrower seems better. Want to make this consistent. Hip position should be as high as possible, yet as close to the bar with the torso as upright as I can get. Minimizing movement after locking into bar and starting lift is crucial. It’s amazing how I don’t feel sumos in my back at all when I perform them correctly.

Day 5

Bench Press-Light

A) Bench- 165 x 2,3,5…2,3,5
B1) O.A. KB OHP- 63 lbs x 5 x 2 sets
B2) Pendlay Rows- 185 x 5 x 2 sets

Windmills, incline stretch

Fast session today. Takes a few sets to get warm on bench press. Shoulder a bit cold but had to rush. Second series felt more solid. Strong pauses today.

Day 6

A) Deadlift- 160 kgs x 1 x 12 sets

Goblet Squats, Good Mornings, Cable Bi’s/upper back.

It’s been a heavy week. Three deadlift sessions with 42 reps around 80%. This is the hardest week.

The reps will decrease but longer rest days are employed now with 2 to 3 days of complete lower body rest between pulls as opposed to one day of incomplete rest, as lower exercises were still done on bench days. Jamie’s felt a little tight, glutes a little fried and my knees needed a good amount of warmup. I definitely feel a lot of quad in my pull

As I go along, the assistance work will be minimized and rest days increase. Restorative exercise will always be part of my plan. This is the end of the first week. One day of rest, if needed for heavy bench.

As for deads, the weight has surpassed double overhand strength. Am still finding my ideal start position.

Grip closer and stance closer perhaps.

The key is to keep improving and always find the ideal start position.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom