all posts post new thread

A+A/AXE low HR

So as to not be another "cook in the kitchen" please follow @Kenneth Bolyard's suggestion, first. @renegadenate also made a good suggestion (every :45 is an option to this as well). Both suggestions are a progression to the current plan, and it appears you might be ready for it. Kenneth's is a much more gradual progression (I like gradual changes). Starting with his, and moving toward Nate's just set up your next 8-12 weeks of training! A periodization model that uses plans that become more and more dense before cycling back to a less dense plan with heavier weights is often an excellent endurance cycle to follow.

Rather than adding more suggestions, I do have a couple of informational thoughts, based on the comments. I saw some comments about ballistics and grinds...When it comes to tracking HR, definitely look to it with ballistics vs grinds. I believe the StrongEndurance manual has more detail about ballistics vs grinds when it comes to training cardio. There are many variables when talking about a grind; Iron Cardio, Strong Endurance, and KB AXE cover them well. On the topic of grinds...There are some ways to build muscular endurance with grinds, but generally speaking, gaining raw strength might just be the best. EX) if you can deadlift 600lbs, then a 300lb deadlift for max reps will look enduring. If your max deadlift is 400lbs, then a 300lb deadlift for max reps will look less enduring. If you want more endurance out of a grind, get stronger.

Back to the specific exercises you're doing...With alternating swings and power push-ups, the push-up will always have a lower HR because of the prone body position and smaller muscle groups being worked in comparison to the swing. Adding a band for resistance can potentially help, although you might find it then becomes more of a grind, and will build acid quicker. So, when alternating these two exercises, be prepared for the push-ups to offer more recovery for the swings than the swings offer to the push-ups.

So as to not be another "cook in the kitchen" please follow @Kenneth Bolyard's suggestion, first. @renegadenate also made a good suggestion (every :45 is an option to this as well). Both suggestions are a progression to the current plan, and it appears you might be ready for it. Kenneth's is a much more gradual progression (I like gradual changes). Starting with his, and moving toward Nate's just set up your next 8-12 weeks of training! A periodization model that uses plans that become more and more dense before cycling back to a less dense plan with heavier weights is often an excellent endurance cycle to follow.

Rather than adding more suggestions, I do have a couple of informational thoughts, based on the comments. I saw some comments about ballistics and grinds...When it comes to tracking HR, definitely look to it with ballistics vs grinds. I believe the StrongEndurance manual has more detail about ballistics vs grinds when it comes to training cardio. There are many variables when talking about a grind; Iron Cardio, Strong Endurance, and KB AXE cover them well. On the topic of grinds...There are some ways to build muscular endurance with grinds, but generally speaking, gaining raw strength might just be the best. EX) if you can deadlift 600lbs, then a 300lb deadlift for max reps will look enduring. If your max deadlift is 400lbs, then a 300lb deadlift for max reps will look less enduring. If you want more endurance out of a grind, get stronger.

Back to the specific exercises you're doing...With alternating swings and power push-ups, the push-up will always have a lower HR because of the prone body position and smaller muscle groups being worked in comparison to the swing. Adding a band for resistance can potentially help, although you might find it then becomes more of a grind, and will build acid quicker. So, when alternating these two exercises, be prepared for the push-ups to offer more recovery for the swings than the swings offer to the push-ups.
Great tips!

Yes, it's the same.
My average HR is higher during a (bodybuilding) session with sets of 6-8 repetitions (close to failure) and 2 minutes rest than during A+A/AXE.
It's the opposite with me. When I train bodybuilding style with 6-8-10-12 reps my heart rate barely reaches 100 beats and even on the heavier exercises. The most is lifted in a squat or deadlift for more repetitions /for example 8-10/, but it is still difficult to pass 110. I am talking about 1.30-2 min. rest between sets. My heart rate in everyday life is around 70-75 beats. And I still wonder about the advice that I should warm up and get my heart rate up before I train. Well, he is not tall during training.
After all, I also drink beta blockers and that may be the reason, but I don't feel any great fatigue from 6-8-10 repetitions.
The workouts with short rests and heavy core exercises like squats and deadlifts tire me the most, I don't know what my heart rate is, but I don't enjoy them.

Last edited:
@Derek Toshner @Kenneth Bolyard Thanks for your answers.
Thank you for your answers.

Indeed, gradually increasing the density of training also seemed logical to me. What strikes me as odd is that my HR is decoupled from the stop signs. I have these signs even when I have a low HR. And as a fast twitch athlete (ex HS 100-200m sprinter), I tend to produce a lot of lactate.

Indeed, gradually increasing the density of training also seemed logical to me. What strikes me as odd is that my HR is decoupled from the stop signs. I have these signs even when I have a low HR. And as a fast twitch athlete (ex HS 100-200m sprinter), I tend to produce a lot of lactate.
I think I have never stopped a session due to failing the talk test or HR above a threshold.
It's always drop of power or pace, or muscle burn (sometimes accompanied by technique detoriation).

I think I have never stopped a session due to failing the talk test or HR above a threshold.
It's always drop of power or pace, or muscle burn (sometimes accompanied by technique detoriation).
I've never used a heart rate monitor for A+A work, and have tended toward generous rest periods, such that the talk test is not really a factor. So I've always ended sessions based on power dropping or just hitting my planned number of repeats for the day.

I find this style more enjoyable and sustainable and have experienced great benefits in terms of stamina when playing basketball, without ever worrying about my heart rate or whether I am working "hard enough" by any other metric.

Edited to add: My exercise selection has been almost all snatches and double cleans, drills that have a clear fixation point where you have to express enough power to reach the overhead lockout or the rack, which makes a drop in power very clear and obvious. Also, I've always used the heaviest weight(s) possible that I could snatch or clean aggressively for sets of 5 and sustain for a reasonable volume. I think underbelling yourself by too much would significantly diminish results, and that technique (not just strength or work capacity) can be a significant limiter on the load you can use and the power you can generate with a given load.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom