all posts post new thread

A Norseman's Journey

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Not bad.

When you pick up (24 kg video) and put down (16 kg video) the bell, you are very much rounding your back - always treat the weight with respect.

For both, you look crisp - I would try for more hip involvement in both, and keeping your should packed better in your one-arm swing. BTW, it's always instructive to see both arms do 1-arm swings.

-S-

Not bad.

When you pick up (24 kg video) and put down (16 kg video) the bell, you are very much rounding your back - always treat the weight with respect.

For both, you look crisp - I would try for more hip involvement in both, and keeping your should packed better in your one-arm swing. BTW, it's always instructive to see both arms do 1-arm swings.

-S-

Thank you @Steve Freides ! I fully agree on when I put the bells down. Need to fix that asap!
Two great tips and thing I need to work on. Packing the shoulder I know how to do, just need to practice it more. I felt pretty sloppy throughout the whole session. By involving the hips more, should I try to bring the hips farther back? And if so, is it okay to use a bit more knee bend to do so? When I swing, as in the video, in the "bottom" position, my hammies are loaded to max (I think). The next day my hammies are sore as hell. I think this is due to tight hamstrings. Up until now I have not found a stretch to help this out.

Hips should go back further, which means they'll go down further as well, and your knees will bend more, but your knees don't need to come forward more - just "sit back" more. Hammies are doing more of the work and hips less when your hips aren't as far back and down as they can be for maximum involvement.

-S-

Hips should go back further, which means they'll go down further as well, and your knees will bend more, but your knees don't need to come forward more - just "sit back" more. Hammies are doing more of the work and hips less when your hips aren't as far back and down as they can be for maximum involvement.

-S-

Thank you very much Steve! Will try working on your advice and upload a video later on!

Stefan, good work. Steve's suggestions are the thing to work on, but here is one other thing to consider, when the time is right... I notice this because I am working on it, myself. That is, the neck postiion at the top and bottom of the swing. I think (I am not sure) that it would be better to have slightly less extension at the bottom of the swing (think "neck more in line with the rest of the spine"), and slightly less flexion at the top of the swing (think "stand tall"). I'm still experimenting with it, myself. I did find that it helps a lot with heavy 2H swings to let the head go farther forward -- easier to get a good sniff of air in on the downswing. And the swing also feels more powerful to me this way. With the 1H swing it doesn't seem to assist as much, but I suspect the extra neck extension can cause problems. I have a lot of tightness in my neck and upper traps, and I'm thinking this may be related. It's a bit harder to correct though. Almost like the neck extension is assiting the body's effort to resist the bell's effort to twist the torso.

Anyway, sorry for the ramble... like I said, just something to experiment with. Your swings look very good. Lots of potential for development of great power and strength!

Thank you for your kind words @Anna C !
Looking at my video again I can see what you mean. I´ll try and experiment with the head alignment and strive for perfection!

Clean and Press
24kg x 1,2,3 (x4)

Superset with

Tactical Pull-ups
BW+12kg x 1,2,3 (x4)

Stefan Olsson on Instagram: “Clean and Press supersettat med viktade Pull-ups. 1,2,3 x 4. Ett enkelt sätt att få in 24 reps på en hyfsat tung vikt! #cleanandpress…”

Today was all fun n´ games. Didn't have time to run and was not amped to do S&S in the sunday evening, so I thought some good old clean and press and pull-ups can't go wrong! It didn't! And to salute my Norse Log here is some Swedish Norse music!

Last edited by a moderator:
Treadmill Running (incline 1)
9,5km - 5:25/pace

Average session today. Got my Rogue kettlebells just prior to the session so my mind was elsewhere :rolleyes:

IMG_1544.JPG

Warm-up - 3rd
Goblet Squat x5
Hip Bridge x5
Around the world x10

Swing
24kg x 3x10 (2H)
32kg x 4x10 (2H)
24kg x 3x10 (2H)

TGU
24kg x 1(l,r)
24kg x 1

Did not have time to go to the gym so I decided to give the new bells a run. Wow, they really felt great during the swings and did tax my body in a whole new way. When I did go back to the 24k it was much easier.

The TGU was a different thing. I can control 20k with ease, but the 4k increment felt like it was the 32k bell. It humbled me, and I realize that the Simple goal is not so simple after all. Since I only have a 24k and 32k I will try and ease in to the TGU volume and build up to five sets.

Warm-up - 3rd
Goblet Squat x5
Hip Bridge x5
SLDL x5

Swing
24kg x 3x10 (2H)
32kg x 4x10 (2H)
24kg x 1x10 (2H)
24kg x 1x10 (1H)
24kg x 1x10 (1H)

TGU
24kg x 1(l,r)
24kg x 1
24kg x 1
24kg x 1

Quick session today. The 24k in TGU feels better and better.

6,5km
Time: 39:28

Tactical Pull-ups
BW x 5
BW x 4
BW x 4
BW x 3
BW x 2

Supersetted with

Push-ups
BW x 12
BW x 10
BW x 10
BW x 8
BW x 6

Wifey wanted to train and who am I to turn that down! Varied the pace while running to get a feeling for how the body responds to higher paces. Were down a 4:00/km pace and it felt good, but the body temperature rose to the top. Could have been a crowded gym with no oxygen or simply a natural reaction. After that I gave the pull- and push-ups some love. Slow and controlled.

Trail Running
12km
Pace: 5:40/km
Time: 1:08:24

Felt great to be running outdoors today! 12km on the island of Smögen, Sweden.

Skärmavbild 2015-12-18 kl. 20.08.47.png

Warm-up - 3rd
Goblet Squat x5
Hip Bridge x5
Halo x5

Swing
24kg x 10x10 (2H)

TGU
20kg x 5x1(l,r)

Tactical Pull-ups
BW x 5
BW x 5
BW x 4
BW x 3
BW x 2

Supersetted with

Push-ups
BW x 12
BW x 12
BW x 10
BW x 8
BW x 6

Good snappy swings and decent get-ups. Been christmas shopping the whole day - it got the best of me.

Warm-up - 3rd
Goblet Squat 24kg x5
One Leg DL 24kg x5
2H Row 24kg x5

Swing
24kg x 1x10 (2H)
32kg x 8x10 (2H)
24kg x 1x10 (2H)

TGU
24kg x 5x1(l,r)

Trained at home today. Start to getting the groove for the 32k. The 24k Get-up it manageable but hard.

6,5km
Time: 38:05

Stretching
15min

In pursuit for the android work capacity! :cool:

Warm-up - 3rd
Goblet Squat 32kg x5
One Leg DL 24kg x5
2H Row 32kg x5

Swing
24kg x 1x10 (2H)
32kg x 8x10 (2H)
24kg x 1x10 (2H)

TGU
24kg x 5x1(l,r)

The swings felt awesome today! The get-ups felt quite good to so I decided to try and do ha half get-up with 32. It worked! :)

Skärmavbild 2015-12-22 kl. 17.13.15.png

6,5km
Time: 38:12

Tactical Pull-ups
BW x 2,4,6,8,6,4,2

Supersetted with

Push-ups
BW x 2,4,6,8,6,4,2

Running
5km
~32min

Armour Building
2x 20kg x 20set

Stretching
~30min

Holiday training in Stockholm. Get some sporadic work in. Today was brute minimalism. Armour building as per Dan John; 2 cleans, 1 press, 3 squats.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom