all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Adding Conditioning to PT's Strength Concept

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

TheWolf

Level 2 Valued Member
I apologise in advance if this has already been posted on here. I searched online but could not find a direct answer.

I currently follow the programming of Ross Enamait. It basically looks like this:

Day 1: Strength (Maximal Strength)
Day 2: Interval Running and Core Training.
Day 3: High-Intensity Interval Training aka HIIT (eg several rounds of KB Swings, KB Snatches, Burpees, etc)
Day 4: General Physical Preparedness aka GPP (eg several rounds of 30 secs of Shadow Boxing, Push Ups, Squats, Rest, etc) and Core Training
Day 5: Strength (Explosive Strength
Day 6 and 7: Rest

I have just finished PT's Power to the People and find his concept of Strength Training very relevant and interesting. I did more research online and PT has great reviews. That being said, if I were to complete the two strength lifts as prescribed by PT from Day 1 to Day 5 each week, can I do the Conditioning Training--Interval Running, Core Training, HIIT, and GPP--as well? If so, I was thinking of doing PT Strength in the mornings and the other in the evening.

I know PT preaches not fatiguing the muscle so I don't want the Conditioning Training to impede the Strength Training.

Thank you in advance.

Sorry this question seems to have gotten buried! Welcome to the forum.

You're absolutely right in that the idea of PTTP is to lift fresh with perfect form, so you really want to avoid anything that would interfere with your recovery - for that reason, I would avoid any sort of HIIT (to use more technical terminology, avoid going into anaerobic glycolosis). For core training, it depends. I'd steer clear of high rep "burning" ab exercises like crunches, bicycles, etc. Although I've never tried it, I think you'd be OK with low-rep, high tension ab exercises - Pavel said PTTP and his program "Hardstyle Abs" are fully compatible with each other (the Bear, however, is not compatible with direct ab work).

For steady-state cardio and KBs, plenty of people have discussed adding them to PTTP and I think the general consensus is to start slow and listen to your body, making sure you don't take recovery capacity away from the main focus of the program, the deadlift. Personally, if you're new to PTTP, I'd recommend sticking with just the program by the book - a deadlift and a press, nothing else - until you've gotten the hang of it. While I made excellent gains from PTTP, in hindsight I think I would have seen better results if I had been more focused and not been constantly trying to see how much else I could squeeze in.

Hope this helps and best of luck!

You may want to read this thread discussing when it is and isn't a good idea to modify or add to a program: Other/Mixed - When Changing a Program Is, and Isn't, OK

Combining PTTP with KBs/rucking/cardio:
strongfirst.com/community/threads/pttp-cardio.12764/
strongfirst.com/community/threads/questions-about-pttp.13432/

I apologise in advance if this has already been posted on here. I searched online but could not find a direct answer.

I currently follow the programming of Ross Enamait. It basically looks like this:

Day 3: High-Intensity Interval Training aka HIIT (eg several rounds of KB Swings, KB Snatches, Burpees, etc)
Day 4: General Physical Preparedness aka GPP (eg several rounds of 30 secs of Shadow Boxing, Push Ups, Squats, Rest, etc) and Core Training

I have just finished PT's Power to the People and find his concept of Strength Training very relevant and interesting. I did more research online and PT has great reviews. That being said, if I were to complete the two strength lifts as prescribed by PT from Day 1 to Day 5 each week, can I do the Conditioning Training--Interval Running, Core Training, HIIT, and GPP--as well? If so, I was thinking of doing PT Strength in the mornings and the other in the evening.

I know PT preaches not fatiguing the muscle so I don't want the Conditioning Training to impede the Strength Training.

Thank you in advance.
Welcome.

What are you trying to accomplish with this training? i.e. What are your goals?

Sorry this question seems to have gotten buried! Welcome to the forum.

You're absolutely right in that the idea of PTTP is to lift fresh with perfect form, so you really want to avoid anything that would interfere with your recovery - for that reason, I would avoid any sort of HIIT (to use more technical terminology, avoid going into anaerobic glycolosis). For core training, it depends. I'd steer clear of high rep "burning" ab exercises like crunches, bicycles, etc. Although I've never tried it, I think you'd be OK with low-rep, high tension ab exercises - Pavel said PTTP and his program "Hardstyle Abs" are fully compatible with each other (the Bear, however, is not compatible with direct ab work).

For steady-state cardio and KBs, plenty of people have discussed adding them to PTTP and I think the general consensus is to start slow and listen to your body, making sure you don't take recovery capacity away from the main focus of the program, the deadlift. Personally, if you're new to PTTP, I'd recommend sticking with just the program by the book - a deadlift and a press, nothing else - until you've gotten the hang of it. While I made excellent gains from PTTP, in hindsight I think I would have seen better results if I had been more focused and not been constantly trying to see how much else I could squeeze in.

Hope this helps and best of luck!

You may want to read this thread discussing when it is and isn't a good idea to modify or add to a program: strongfirst.com/community/threads/when-changing-a-program-is-and-isnt-ok.6439/

Combining PTTP with KBs/rucking/cardio:
strongfirst.com/community/threads/pttp-cardio.12764/
strongfirst.com/community/threads/questions-about-pttp.13432/
Welcome.

What are you trying to accomplish with this training? i.e. What are your goals?
Timmy, this is a very honest and thorough answer. I really appreciate it. I am not new to fitness having devoted years of daily training. However, I found interest in PTTP because of the simplistic concept of increasing raw strength. Timmy and offwidth, my goal is to both increase my raw strength and conditioning. I want to be able to lift heavy and be able to fight (sports), run, etc. I work in Law Enforcement so I have a need to be able to do bursts of energetic work (sprints, runs, combat, etc) at the same time of being physically strong.

@TheWolf
I like PTTP for increasing strength.

Maybe one way to increase your conditioning could be strength aerobics. Check out @Brett Jones on Instagram for some great ideas. Gets me sweating raises my heart rate and gets me breathing. Maybe a spare kettlebell can help work you out.

Here's a favorite of mine

Last edited:

Thank you in advance.

Sounds good to me, but l would spare the core training, at least in the beginning.

Timmy, this is a very honest and thorough answer. I really appreciate it. I am not new to fitness having devoted years of daily training. However, I found interest in PTTP because of the simplistic concept of increasing raw strength. Timmy and offwidth, my goal is to both increase my raw strength and conditioning. I want to be able to lift heavy and be able to fight (sports), run, etc. I work in Law Enforcement so I have a need to be able to do bursts of energetic work (sprints, runs, combat, etc) at the same time of being physically strong.
I think that what you have laid out based on your history and goals will work just fine. Maybe as @Antti says you can skip dedicated ‘core’ stuff. (Or do brief high tension stuff like what @TimmyCK suggested)

And just because I always look at things from an endurance perspective… you might consider on one of your two rest days incorporating some LED running or other easy locomotive work.

@TheWolf have you read Easy Strength?

I want to be able to lift heavy and be able to fight (sports), run, etc. I work in Law Enforcement so I have a need to be able to do bursts of energetic work (sprints, runs, combat, etc) at the same time of being physically strong.
Easy Strength is very much about training to get strong while improving a sport and staying fresh. That is, training to improve a sport or activity, and not just training to improve training. Many of the principles in the book are an extension of the ideas in PTTP.

@TheWolf
I like PTTP for increasing strength.

Maybe one way to increase your conditioning could be strength aerobics. Check out @Brett Jones on Instagram for some great ideas. Gets me sweating raises my heart rate and gets me breathing. Maybe a spare kettlebell can help work you out.

Here's a favorite of mine

I will definitely check him out!

Sounds good to me, but l would spare the core training, at least in the beginning.

I know the core gets worked a fair bit from other exercises so I may take your advice and hold off on the core-specific initially.

I think that what you have laid out based on your history and goals will work just fine. Maybe as @Antti says you can skip dedicated ‘core’ stuff. (Or do brief high tension stuff like what @TimmyCK suggested)

And just because I always look at things from an endurance perspective… you might consider on one of your two rest days incorporating some LED running or other easy locomotive work.

I plan too. My Thursday Rest Day is meant to have a slow, long-distance cycle or jog.

@TheWolf have you read Easy Strength?

Easy Strength is very much about training to get strong while improving a sport and staying fresh. That is, training to improve a sport or activity, and not just training to improve training. Many of the principles in the book are an extension of the ideas in PTTP.

I will be buying this too! Thank you and damn you for making me read even more! :D

Crew, thank you heaps for the answers. I am really liking the content and warm-welcoming of the people on here.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom