all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Adding deadlift days to Simple and Sinister

Denys Carthusian

Level 5 Valued Member
Question: I'd like to start adding barbell deadlifts (for general health goals not for competing) alongside S&S and was wondering what articles or tips anyone has for me or perhaps previous threads.

Hmmm…. For me personally that would be too much for my lower back but other mileage may vary.

I’d do the swings first to keep the power if combining them in the same session. Or else reduce number of s&s sessions. Think you’d need to keep a low vol on the dead’s and build intensity slowly through the cycle.

So in a single session, maybe:

Swings
Get ups

Rest
Deadlifts

Maybe go lighter on these days with the s&s, certainly in the beginning.

Happy to be told I’m wrong

Maybe the daily dose deadlift is something for you!
I loved it back in 2016 until my right leg gave out and I'm trying to ease my way back into it. I'll re-read those articles, but can't recall if it could be run beside S&S or not. For reference I'm well below Simple and I'm deadlifting 2 x 45 lb plates which, if my math is correct, is 130 lbs with a 7 ft 40 lb bar.

I would always have 1 deadlift day in my week regardless of what other lifting I’m doing. Keep it simple 2 sets of five or 3x3.
Yes, I think that's what I'm looking for. Just curious whether I do it before, after or in place of S&S on that day. As an experiment, I did one set of 5 yesterday but the rest periods in between reps were several hours (not kidding - it was GTG singles taken to the most ridiculous extreme) - took me awhile to get moving this morning but the amazing feeling this afternoon makes me think my nervous system needs this jolt periodically, just not sure on frequency.

Addendum: I've started binge listening/watching Dan John on YouTube and old podcasts and am trying to figure out how to extend the useful life of my 59 year old carcass. I've also been reflecting on that Type 2 muscle fiber and its metabolic benefits and a bioelectrical impedance test which shows that my mitochondrial function is below par and I'm not carrying as much muscle as I should (YMMV).

Anyways, barbell deadlifts (would consider trap bar too) and the zercher squat are 2 barbell exercises, along with curls that I think I should look at adding along with dips if my shoulders and sternum can stand it. But, one step at a time: I think deadlifts are my first order of business.

Last edited:
Yes, I think that's what I'm looking for. Just curious whether I do it before, after or in place of S&S on that day. As an experiment, I did one set of 5 yesterday but the rest periods in between reps were several hours (not kidding - it was GTG singles taken to the most ridiculous extreme) - took me awhile to get moving this morning but the amazing feeling this afternoon makes me think my nervous system needs this jolt periodically, just not sure on frequency.

Addendum: I've started binge listening/watching Dan John on YouTube and old podcasts and am trying to figure out how to extend the useful life of my 59 year old carcass. I've also been reflecting on that Type 2 muscle fiber and its metabolic benefits and a bioelectrical impedance test which shows that my mitochondrial function is below par and I'm not carrying as much muscle as I should (YMMV).

Anyways, barbell deadlifts (would consider trap bar too) and the zercher squat are 2 barbell exercises, along with curls that I think I should look at adding along with dips if my shoulders and sternum can stand it. But, one step at a time: I think deadlifts are my first order of business.
I would do at least one day start conservative and add 5 pounds each week and don’t struggle with the weight. If your focus is S&S then let that be your focus. Just keep your toe in the water so to speak with the deadlift.

The same with zercher just do them both on the same day. You could do 2 sets of 5, 3x3, 3x8 etc

I would do at least one day start conservative and add 5 pounds each week and don’t struggle with the weight. If your focus is S&S then let that be your focus. Just keep your toe in the water so to speak with the deadlift.
Yes, I'm very curious what the Minimum Effective Dose is but given my age (59) I'd rather do too little to start than too much. I also think my body responds positively to the bilateral demands of the deadlift, at least when not done every day.

I'd like to start adding barbell deadlifts (for general health goals
So would I but everything feels good on me. The gym I go to has a USA powerlifting section so I’m sure I could get good instruction. I just I don’t believe it’s just picking up something heavy. To me it’s a very technical lift.
Same with the squat. My back feels great and I never had an injury. So I’m reluctant to add exercises where the lower back is the weak link. Much respect to those that do.

I've often wondered about running things alongside S&S - For example being retired I don't have a demanding day job, and am convinced that in the past people my age worked far harder than a single S&S session every day.

I ask myself what is the difference between S&S plus a few deadlifts or other exercises and S&S plus a hard day of physical labour.

I would do contrast training. A deadlift triple followed by 10-20 swings. Start light both load and volume wise.

Question: I'd like to start adding barbell deadlifts (for general health goals not for competing) alongside S&S and was wondering what articles or tips anyone has for me or perhaps previous threads.
I think the easiest way would be do to a couple of minimalist deadlifts on your last session of the week, possibly reducing your swing volume to 40-60 Swings that day. This article will help you here:

If you recover well, you might use the Dail Dose Deadlift plan 2-5x per week alongside S&S, maybe reducing volume here and there:

I think @Kozushi and @Sean M have done stuff like this.

Another option would be to forego swings at the end of the week and work up to a top set of 5 with Deadlifts (like in Deadlift Dynamite).

And then you could insert two week blocks of PTTP after every 2-4 weeks of S&S (block training, recommended by Pavel and Dan John in Easy Strength).

In order to advise in other than a theoretical way, it would help to know more about your S&S practice - current frequency, weight being used, structure of your sessions if something other than 10 reps x 10 sets - all that plus what else you're doing besides S&S.

-S-

Back
Top Bottom