all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Adding deadlift days to Simple and Sinister

Okay so I tried deadlifting today because of this thread. I did 10 singles w/225lbs. My question is a couple of the reps it got dark at the top. Is there any to minimize this? I understand it happens with a lot more plates but this was easy and light weight. I have a usual heart rate in the 40’s and 60’s and a BP around 60ish over 100ish. Thanks
Look up

orthostatic hypotension

I get this too, sometimes. A video would be helpful. Try focusing on a single spot during the course of each rep. And, of course, when it gets "dark" just stop until that passes. You could also try, if "dark" doesn't kick in until after a few reps, do 3 reps and stop for a bit then repeat and see how that goes.

-S-

Thanks, I only did singles and it happened at the top. I have only DL a hand full of times but it’s not the first time. Orthostatic hypotension, I’ll look it up.

Last edited:
Conclusions
We conclude that vitamin B12 deficiency should be taken into account in the evaluation of patients with symptoms of autonomic dysfunction such as orthostatic hypotension. Patients with orthostatic hypotension should be screened for Cbl deficiency even if they do not show obvious clinical neurologic impairment (see Karnaze and Carmel, 1990) or the typical hematological features (see Lindenbaum et al., 1988, Carmel, 1988) associated with Cbl deficiency.

Vitamin B12 deficiency
BMJ 2014; 349 doi: Vitamin B12 deficiency (Published 04 September 2014)
Cite this as: BMJ 2014;349:g5226
Article
Related content
Article metrics
Rapid responses
Response
Rapid Response:
The clinical review of vitamin B12 deficiency by Hunt et al was concise and informative. However, it did not mention autonomic dysfunction caused by vitamin B12 deficiency. Urinary incontinence, impotence and orthostatic hypotension are well-recognized autonomic manifestations of vitamin B12 deficiency (1) .

I have seen patients with long-standing drenching night sweats responding dramatically to intramuscular vitamin B12. Physiologically it is not surprising since changes in the peripheral autonomic nervous system may be the earliest manifestations of small-fiber neuropathy and hyperhidrosis frequently accompanies small-fiber peripheral neuropathy (2) . Episodic hyperhidrosis also occurs commonly in patients with familial dysautonomia, a hereditary sensory and autonomic neuropathy (3) . Autonomic dysfunction resulting in long- and short-term heart rate variability has been found to be significantly lower in vitamin-B12 deficient subjects compared to controls (4,5). Beitzke et al found major hemodynamic and autonomic impairment in patients with vitamin-B12 deficiency (6) . Defective sympathetic activation and decreased catecholamine release has been postulated as pathogenic mechanisms. Reduction of sudomotor sympathetic unmyelinated fibers has been described in patients with vitamin-B12 deficiency and orthostatic hypotension (7) .

Look up

orthostatic hypotension

I get this too, sometimes. A video would be helpful. Try focusing on a single spot during the course of each rep. And, of course, when it gets "dark" just stop until that passes. You could also try, if "dark" doesn't kick in until after a few reps, do 3 reps and stop for a bit then repeat and see how that goes.

-S-
I think the more appropriate term is "Syncope".

The way I understood it is that Orthostatic hypotension is more a medical issue that causes syncope. In the case of a deadlift, there is a big confounding variable which kinda makes it different from Orthostatic Hypotension. which is the tension and weight being lifted. (Ortho hypotension is more just standing up/sitting down and feeling dizzy)

Some things that cause it are Valsalva manuever'ing too hard and too long, low blood sugar, and dehydration. Since we're talking 1 rep, I'd probably start with looking at if 1. are you training fasted? Probably don't before a heavy deadlift. 2. Are you dehydrated? and 3. Are you doing keto or something similar? Maybe eat something to give you some glucose before heavy dead and see if that helps. It might be related to breathing too.

Every time I've experienced it was some combination of training fasted, not drinking water, and doing a long set. (I had a habit of rolling out of bed and heading to the gym without drinking anything or eating anything for a while.)

This barbend article has some good resources and links Why Do Some Lifters Pass Out from Heavy Deadlifts? | BarBend

Some things that cause it are Valsalva manuever'ing too hard and too long, low blood sugar, and dehydration. Since we're talking 1 rep, I'd probably start with looking at if 1. are you training fasted? Probably don't before a heavy deadlift. 2. Are you dehydrated? and 3. Are you doing keto or something similar? Maybe eat something to give you some glucose before heavy dead and see if that helps. It might be related to breathing too.

Eating and hydration is good. I will try to post a video of me passing out when I get some more weight on the bar.

Back
Top Bottom