all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Aging Strong

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)

coosbaylarson

Level 5 Valued Member
Certified Instructor
Sinister
53 year old female, active my entire life playing sports, running and getting serious about strength training in my early 40s. I have never been seriously injured but always had some sort of nagging pain. After making a few changes, primarily focusing on getting to a point where I walk pain free I have completely reversed the hip pain that has been bothering me for a couple years. I still strength train and am making great progress, but I started thinking about what I want to be doing in 20 years and everything involves walking and moving.

I'm starting this thread hoping others in their 40s, 50s an beyond will share their experiences. For me, it's been a deep dive into forward locomotion and acknowledging in the absence of an injury, no matter how many pull-ups I can do I should not be in pain when I walk or when I get up. I've explored Knees Over Toes, GOATA, The Weck Method and Landmine University and am moving better today than 10 years ago. While not super flexible, I can get into positions like seiza and have better t-spine mobility (Stronger press!). I've also taken up golf, by far the most difficult set of skills I've ever attempted. I want to quit every time I go out, but then I'll make a nice shot and decide to keep with it. Playing 18 holes of golf (even with a cart) requires endurance, strength, and patience, all attributes I train daily and have tremendous carryover in my approach to my time in the gym.

I'll get into more detail in subsequent posts and review the aforementioned programs/products and share what has worked for me. I'm hoping others will do the same!

I always use a few basic stretches at the end of a workout, these mostly aimed at lower back, hamstrings and groin.

I train with a variety of methods but the thing that has become a permanent addition is the use of overcoming isometrics, either on their own or as a substantial part of a hybrid program.

I cannot reccommend this enough for older folks who don't enjoy the pain free movement of their younger years. It didn't fix everything but it did improve everything, and did infact "fix" several chronic issues.

I've been a big proponent of doing Original Strength, Ground Force Method, GMB once you're in your 30s and up

I've also learned to sneak in walks or for short distance errands, choose the bike over driving

Training-wise, also really paying close attention to signals my body gives me

42 years old here. Been active in physical culture since my teens in one form or another. My training probably looks pretty random to a lot of the folks here who have followed multiple programs to completion. I am all but program illiterate, but have learned a wide variety of movements over the years, and gravitated mostly towards self directed, auto regulated training (i.e winging it!). My goal has always been well roundedness in strength, endurance, mobility, flexibility, and toughness, rather than specializing in any one category, and I have been blessed with modest success in that endeavor so far. I am definitely learning new things since joining this forum a few weeks ago. And grateful for that because recovery is definitely not what it used to be.

no matter how many pull-ups I can do I should not be in pain when I walk or when I get up.
I'm of this exact same mindset - I'm only 35 but have had a million injuries.
Having a big squat isn't worth it if I my hip hurts when I walk, or my shoulder when I'm hanging up clothes.

Mark Limbaga:
I've been a big proponent of doing Original Strength, Ground Force Method, GMB
I'm also a big fan of Original Strength & GMB stuff. I hadn't heard of Ground Force Method but just googled it & it looks like some stuff I'd do.

Original strength is built around improving & exploring the gait pattern, so it might be right up your alley.

Having a big squat isn't worth it if I my hip hurts when I walk, or my shoulder when I'm hanging up clothes.

I'm also a big fan of Original Strength & GMB stuff. I hadn't heard of Ground Force Method but just googled it & it looks like some stuff I'd do.

Original strength is built around improving & exploring the gait pattern, so it might be right up your alley.

...you gotta know your limits, and avoid injury

I've been a big proponent of doing Original Strength, Ground Force Method, GMB once you're in your 30s and up

I've also learned to sneak in walks or for short distance errands, choose the bike over driving

Training-wise, also really paying close attention to signals my body gives me

I am 55. Another vote for Original Strength. I do the Daily Resets at least 5 days a week. I am also fairly conservative about progressing my weight with KBs. I progress them at 4 kg increments and really get to know the weight In am working with. For example, I spent last year with 2x24k bells doing different Geoff Neupert programs. I progressed to running programs with the 2x28k bells in May.

I keep fairly detailed notes about my training and from 35 to about 53 years of age I stayed pretty consistent. My mile splits were about the same over the years along with my strength. Endurance training was my main focus in order to spend long days either trail running, hiking or peak bagging in the mountains of Arizona. At 53 is when health problems that diet and exercise couldn't keep me safe from. Ended up with a fungal lung disease called Valley Fever that wiped me out for almost a year. You catch it by inhaling a spore that lives in the dirt in the American Southwest and California. Once I started bouncing back from that, tooth issues began.

Now I'm 56 and most of my training has shifted to injury prevention and being able to do one big weekend's worth of hiking in and out of the Grand Canyon. Still lift, but it's with bodyweight exercises and kettlebells now. Quit running and just do fast paced hiking and faithfully do a few sessions of mobility work every week.

I always use a few basic stretches at the end of a workout, these mostly aimed at lower back, hamstrings and groin.

Me, too.

(although I'm sure we use different specific stretches).

And I pay for it pretty quickly when I stop doing them.

Yesterday moving day, so pretty active hauling, carrying, driving. 16,000 steps, but also a 1.5 hour drive.

I neglected my stretching the night before and I was paying for it with tight hips at the end of moving day.

I am 47, and spent my life in sports/fitness. BB, power lifting, football, MTB racing, Spartan races/DEKA, KB, snowboarding, CrossFit, climbing, etc. I loved the exhaustion of MTB racing, and when I added iron to the mix you end up in the XFit style world. In my mind, I felt like an outlier for my age. Which to a degree was true, but the reality of being in my 40s bit me. After a couple MTB crashes and shoulder injuries, that mindset was eradicated. I spend a year + re-thinking my approach to fitness. The most important thing was a philosophy shift towards the long-haul. Here are a couple things I now prioritize (more).
  • Swallowed my pride I am not in my 20s, I need more recovery.
  • Listening to EVERY off feeling in my body – Even if it’s a small pain, Ill drop the load or stop the movement. If it’s too irritating, I’ll spend a couple days stretching and doing nothing but PT movements with bands/light cardio until the issue is gone.
  • D-load/off weeks – This is 100% in all my programing every 8 weeks. I’ll do a D-load to enhance progress, and if I feel my recovery is tanked I’ll do an actual off week to enhance recovery.
  • Diet – This was always in check, but continue to focus on food for fuel.
  • Volume – I scaled way back here, and can fit my entire workouts/practice (lifting) into 45 min.
  • Waving my programing load to avoid adaptability/LA/recovery – This is the same principle SF holds.
  • Stretching – 100% before load, sometimes after, and on off days.
  • Prioritizing rest – With a lighter load I could easily workout 6 days a week, but prioritizing things and recognize 3-4 days per week is the sweet spot for me. This helps me feel energized after a workout, not wiped out. Also, sleep is 100% a priority.
  • SF ‘practice’ mindset – This personally helped me slow down a little. When you are focused on form, you can’t be exhausted, which leads to sloppiness.
  • Intentional rest days – I have done a number of things from cold showers, cryotherapy, stretching, yoga(ish), walking, sauna, massages (massage gun) etc. I personally found stretching, and heat the most beneficial from the list.
I am sure there is more, but that’s the quick 10 from this almost 50 year old athlete :) You might enjoy this podcast I just had with SF Elite instructor, Os Aponte, we touch a lot on aiming towards the long-haul.

Last edited:
HEAVY CLUB has changed my life.
Studying Mark Wildman's videos for 2-handed and 1-arm Heavy Club work.
I've back pain since my first Deadlift injury 20-years ago. Its now just about gone and only through the Club workouts.
By the way I'm 50 years old and very not flexible.

Read The Cost of Adaptation | StrongFirst

In that article, Pavel makes suggestions, one of which is, "Options That Blend Strength and Health: Train for and compete in raw drug-free powerlifting—without attempting to max your muscle mass. "

That's what I do and it's been very good for me so far. I started lifting in my mid-40's, started competing in my late 40's, and am 68 years young now. Raw Division, no belt, no wraps, no sleeves, 67.5 weight class.

-S-

49 years, I have done once weekly climbing (almost only indoor) and jujutsu for a decade and yoga for 25 years but two years ago I felt I needed strength training and kettlebell has helped with that.

I met this guy 5 years ago in a climbing gym and now I saw him again in an Instagram post of a Finnish gym where I took a street workout course this year. I hope I'll be as interested to learn new things 40 years from now as him. https://www.instagram.com/reel/Co5HszOjgnO/?igshid=MzRlODBiNWFlZA==

In that article, Pavel makes suggestions, one of which is, "Options That Blend Strength and Health: Train for and compete in raw drug-free powerlifting—without attempting to max your muscle mass. "

That's what I do and it's been very good for me so far. I started lifting in my mid-40's, started competing in my late 40's, and am 68 years young now. Raw Division, no belt, no wraps, no sleeves, 67.5 weight class.

-S-
Yes! This article nails it. The piece I was missing was getting outdoors. I've trained too long with both feet firmly planted on the ground (unless I'm hanging from a bar or doing get-ups). Improving my locomotion has been key for improved health.

One piece of equipment that has made a huge difference in my training is the Bosu Ball. For years I thought it was silly and not worth my time. I heard David Weck (inventor) talk about the intent and it made a lot more sense. People use it as a balancing tool but the compression is really where it becomes useful. Performing slow air squats while pushing through the balls of the feet will bring to light any imbalances. I could hardly perform the exercise my left hip and glute were so weak compared to the right (on a solid surface I could cheat). After several weeks of consistent use the nagging left hip pain I've been experiencing for years is gone. I'm also able to train pistol progressions and have made more progress in three months than at any other time in my life. Another use is just standing on it before a set of pistol progressions. I press through my foot as hard as I can. It's almost like an arm bar for the leg.

I progress them at 4 kg increments and really get to know the weight In am working with. For example, I spent last year with 2x24k bells doing different Geoff Neupert programs. I progressed to running programs with the 2x28k bells in May.
Reminded of me of what @njrick1 said (three years or so ago) on his approach to S&S "I progressed about one bell per year (24, 32, 40, 48)".

-S-
Thanks for this excellent article

Fitness stuff I learned past age 30:

- I got away with eating a little carelessly when I was under 30, because my metabolism plus exercise kept the fat off. Then the day arrived that I had to start watching what I was eating.

- Sarcopenia is real. I had a different attitude about hypertrophy training when I was younger - wanted more of a Bruce Lee kind of body, lean yet athletic, explosive, etc. Now I know adding muscle mass is not a bad thing, especially after you're already lost muscle mass thanks to sarcopenia.

- My joints got more injury prone when subjected to higher load than they were when I was under 30 - eg. my shoulders when attempting pike pushups with elevated feet. I can't get away with rushing to higher loads like I did in my youth. I've realized the safer, more productive route is to schedule high-volume (at safe load of course) training, and high intensity isometrics to better prepare those joints for high-load dynamic work.

- Like others, mobility work helps keep aches and pains at bay. Likes some others I've enjoyed GMB's stuff (Elements, Mobility, Recovery etc.). The latest approach I'm trying out is Geoff Neupert's P3, aka Sore Joint Solution.

- High intensity isometrics also keeps aches and pains at bay, but they have to be done safely - no Valsava or other breath holding, find body positioning that is safe, etc. For me, RDL, low position deadlift, and bent-over row are all non-negotiable no-nos.

Last edited:
I was paying for it with tight hips at the end of moving day.
Well, you also shlepped a gazillion pounds of iron..

I started lifting in my mid-40's, started competing in my late 40's, and am 68 years young now. Raw Division, no belt, no wraps, no sleeves, 67.5 weight class.
Steve is too modest to mention that he's the US record holder in his Dead Lift category.

Back
Top Bottom