all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Aging Strong

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
I'll be 58 this September. Hard to believe cuz I don't feel older. I contribute my overall good health to consistent smart strength training predominantly kettlebells mixed with body weight skills. But also use bands, and barbells. My mobility has served me well through the years. I trained classical ballet and other dance modalities from age 3 well into my 40s. Dance is one of my first true loves and now have time to bring dance classes back into my schedule since my children are all grown. As I age, I feel it is extremely important to continue weight training. I love my cast iron kbs the most:). I will say when I first learned kettlebells back in 2007, I added walking to my physical training 3x a week. It made my body feel so much better. I think walking is underrated and highly recommend it to compliment your strength training.
Walking and strength training with kettlebells have become my absolute non-negotiables. If I could only do one as much as I like lifting I would choose walking. Hope I never have to make that choice because I love being strong!

61 here. 5-11, 165. Competitive swimmer through college, then marathons into my early 30s. Then job and kids. In my mid 50s, I realized I had a limited window to get back into shape and build resilience for better aging. I played around with a bunch of programs and then determined that for better aging my work needed to cover four bases: flexibility, mobility, cardio, and strength. That gave me discipline and freedom. I found things that work for me for each category/each base. I happen to like kettlebells and bodyweight for strength, but I could have picked another modality. Now, within each category, I can set goals. The mix helps me stay fresh and focused. I often do morning and evening sessions. I found for me, morning flexibility and evening strength one day, then morning mobility and evening cardio the next works well for recovery. Because it's so modifiable within each category, I think (hope) I can maintain this four bases approach for the next 15-20 years.

I've been applying the "student of strength" mentality to all aspects of my physical well-being. If something is off I study and fix it. I will admit to being a bit dogmatic in my 40s and unwilling to explore ideas or systems that looked silly (to me). Strength training and the Strongfirst principles will always be my priority, but exploring ideas, modalities etc. have helped me fix issues that have held me back in pursuit of strength. I would never use a Bosu Ball as a primary tool for squatting or any other exercise, but a few sets in preparation of my work sets has helped me improve which is all I'm after. I have played around with some one-arm push-up progressions and am certain it will be useful in re-acquiring that skill. The real eye-opener was when I realized I could not walk without pain in either my knee or hip. After many months of study, implementing a lot of ideas, throwing out a lot and keeping what works I can walk, and squat pain-free. I'm staring to get into positions like seiza that I have never been able to achieve at any age. I certainly feel wiser, more patient and much more open than I did when I was younger. This is going to be EXTREMELY important if I'm ever going to get good at golf. What a gut-check to the ego!

I believe that after sixty that a man should be fined and or imprisoned for mowing your lawn without a shirt. Having said that and I know I will regret this. Tomorrow I will be 66 this year I gained about 10lbs of fat and I am not strong. At the end of my workouts I always say “that should do something”. Presently just doing chins, dips, kbfs, c&p and started bb ohp this week. Muscle wise I consider myself to be clinging to scraps although I am making some progress weight wise. I will now do a very stupid thing and include a photo. Hopefully I will not get arrested. I GO NOW!!!

Attachments

• IMG_0602.jpeg
    IMG_0602.jpeg
    102.8 KB · Views: 52
According to Starting Strength. I am weak and an ant. I kinda agree but I trained 2 or 3 years in the mid 80’s then picked back up in 2014 so I missed my anabolic window. I am thankful the I can still clean myself and go up and down stairs. God’s arms are bigger. The older I get the more hair I grow on my nose and ears.

I missed my anabolic window.
Although such a thing may exist, research has shown - see Biomarkers if you don't believe me - that people can get stronger and add muscle in their 90's. I am in my late 60's and - as I've said many times here - I train in ways that, when I tried them in my 40's and 50's, tended to put muscle on me so I didn't continue with them, but now I use them and I have, indeed, added some muscle even since my 68th birthday.

-S-

Read The Cost of Adaptation | StrongFirst

In that article, Pavel makes suggestions, one of which is, "Options That Blend Strength and Health: Train for and compete in raw drug-free powerlifting—without attempting to max your muscle mass. "

That's what I do and it's been very good for me so far. I started lifting in my mid-40's, started competing in my late 40's, and am 68 years young now. Raw Division, no belt, no wraps, no sleeves, 67.5 weight class.

-S-
I’m glad I stumbled onto this thread and the recommendation of the article. I’ve been without kettlebells for several months and am about to get my hands on a bell for a while, and am looking at a snatch focus using 025 or 060. I’ve been active these months but obviously not with snatches, and am over 60. I feel like one of these plans should be okay but it’s a good reminder to ease back in.

Back
Top Bottom