all posts post new thread

Always Be Smashing

With the shoulders I think it's at times hard to say where exactly the line between the strength exercises and the mobility/flexibility/restoration is. Some of the little muscles get a lot of work in from a little load.

That's definitely been one of my takeaways from StrongFirst / Flexible Steel; strength and mobility are really the same thing.

Personally, I try to do the push and the pull both vertically and horizontally each week. I also try to do it with various methods, use little differences in angles etc, all the time.

I've noticed that in your logs, and it seems like a really good idea - varying up the primary movements every few weeks. That's what I would call "antifragile" training - subjecting the body to a little more chaos, but still in a controlled, progressive fashion.

I tend to have mindset issues with that - I'm prone to thinking "if I switch to doing X, I'll lose the gains I've gotten on Y!" Which is dumb... I'll get smarter someday...

You bring up the point that the session can only be that long. But I find that most of the exercises or drills I do I do outside of the training session or between exercises or very shortly in the session. So I don't find that they demand a lot of time.

Hmm, not a bad idea. Currently, between exercises I always go through the Flexible Steel joint mobility sequence. Just a couple of movements between sets, so over the course of the session I get through the sequence once. Maybe some opportunity to mix in a little more light work there...

Regarding your triggers again; even if dips or a decline press is a solid addition in a program, the push press or the straight arm pulldown could be better.

Good suggestions. I was doing push presses combined with TGU for a while, but switched to strict press because I was wanting to work on the dead-stop strength from the rack. But, push press might be a better complement to the more ballistic nature of volleyball... And the pulldown and maybe a raise where a couple of things I was thinking about for when I get my bands (this week, I hope...)

No training over the weekend, just softball and house projects. Diet was pretty poor, need to work on weekend food discipline.

10/5 06:30

Trifecta
Shoulder sequence
Heavy bag + jump rope
Suitcase carries x12 48

10/5 21:00

Cossack shoulder dislocates 2x6
Dragon squats 1x4 16, 1x4 20# overhead
KB snatch 10x6 28
TGU + press 10x1 28,32,3x28
SQT 3x3 275#
Pullups 3x3 25#
Grip work
Hang board

Are you still following the Metolius standard routine on the hang board? Just curious.

I am indeed, but am still quite a ways from being able to complete even the beginner progression as written. I can't really do a free hang with from 3-finger holds yet, or the sloped edge holds - have to keep one food on the ground for those. I am seeing some improvement in 4-finger or mixed holds. And it seems like the hangboard work has been good for my scapular retraction in general.

Slow and steady, I reckon.

The last couple days have been a bust, training-wise. The shoulder niggle I was complaining about last week has turned out to be persistent, and I think the training on Monday aggravated it. So I'm laying off for a while.

I should still be running, in principle. But Tuesday was the first day my kids were actually going back in to school, so I took the morning off to make them lunches and make sure they got out the door OK. Then Wednesday, for whatever reason, when the alarm went off my body told me there was no chance in the world I was getting out of bed. So went back to sleep.

Volleyball that evening actually went pretty well. I was hitting and blocking pretty well, and was in a very zen state - didn't feel like I was really trying hard, things were just working. All the same, we got beat pretty bad, other team was just more talented.

On another note... it's time to revise my training a bit. I really like what I've been doing, and I feel like it's been effective... but between morning and evening sessions, I'm spending 3 hours in the gym a day! That's not OK for a family guy. Time to do some editing.

3 hours is a lot for sure.... but what really defines who we are lies in the other 21 hours...

Quite true, quite true. The real issue there, of course, is that which 21 other hours also matters quite a bit. If I could figure out a way to eliminate this pesky need for sleep, I wouldn't mind spending 7 hours in the gym while my family slept...

On another note... it's time to revise my training a bit. I really like what I've been doing, and I feel like it's been effective... but between morning and evening sessions, I'm spending 3 hours in the gym a day! That's not OK for a family guy. Time to do some editing.
Seiryoku-Zenyo. (Minimum effort, maximum efficiency, A judo principle that can be applied to one’s training without adding judo to one’s training schedule.). I will not pretend to know what parts of your training should be abbreviated and what parts should be emphasized. But if you were to ask yourself, “What’s a good training program for myself that will fit into x amount of time?”, you have the knowledge to build such a program.

Another weekend of watching softball, random acts of mobility and house projects. Which, in all honesty, serves me better than training right now.

10/12 07:00

Trifecta
Shoulder sequence

10/12 17:15

Mobility warmup
KB snatch 10x6 32
SQT 3x5 235#
Pullups 3x4
Grip work
Hang board

Still feeling some soreness in the shoulder, affecting my pulls. This is definitely a persistent injury. Frustrating.

So, my grand plan for reducing time spent in the gym: decouple from the 7-day week. I've got 4 days for weight training, and 3 days to rotate through. So, no reason for me to try to cram it into a week - week 1 will be A,B,C,A then week 2 is B,C,A,B and so on. Cycles will be longer, but I got no business being in a hurry.

Seiryoku-Zenyo. (Minimum effort, maximum efficiency, A judo principle that can be applied to one’s training without adding judo to one’s training schedule.).

I've been recently coming to this line of thinking. I am in no way a minimalist, but I suspect that one only needs to push one's boundaries a little to get the majority of the benefits, and pushing harder beyond that is wasted time/effort. It's not a matter of minimalism per se, it's a matter of discipline in effort.

Additionally from Okinawa... Goju

This is another concept that I think fits me... sometimes hard, sometimes soft. Both are important, and the balance is key. Light weeks, medium weeks, heavy weeks... balance them all to sustain it indefinitely (ideally).

Good plan... Something I also came up with, 4-5 days, 3-4 routines to rotate. No hurry.
Being minimalist in training is a bless and bliss. Handling 1-2 exercises per session is something I would never trade for anything. Variety can please me in other things.

10/14 06:45

40min treadmill run/walk 3.0m
Foam rolling, bretzels + forward fold

Volleyball in the evening. Frustrating night. We played a relatively weak team, and I felt like I was playing great. But all of my teammates completely ran out of gas in the 4th game, and we got destroyed. What would you rather be: the best player on a weak team? Or the worst player on a strong team? Strong first...

Oh well. Have to go to work tomorrow regardless of how we do at volleyball...

You are really strong!
I can barbell squat more than 160kg/352lbs, and I struggle even with a regular bodyweight pistol squat!

Oh man, I wish I was that strong... I've probably been using the wrong term here, but what I'm doing here is a 2-foot twisting squat, not any sort of pistol. Like this:

I can't do a pistol yet myself... someday...

Back
Top Bottom