all posts post new thread

Always Be Smashing

Got in some light skiing with the kids on Saturday, no training.

1/31 09:00

60min treadmill run/walk 4.5m
- 1W 50E 1W (0.33ST 1W)x6
Tac frog, pumps + QL stretch

Did a pushup test in the afternoon: x22. I've noticed that picking up the bench press again really hasn't done much for my pushup rep max. Did some Googling today on the subject, and came across an answer that makes sense to me; once you get into your pushup rep max, the fast-twitch muscles (which is primarily what you work in the bench press) have faded out, and you're working the slow twitch muscles. To up your rep max, you gotta get the slow-twitch muscles some work. Seems like a reasonable theory, anyway. Planning to try to run the USNA push-up program (by SFs own @mprevost), see if I can make any progress there without interfering with my other work. Might be too much, who knows...

I've also been doing some pondering about weight loss - something I am not currently doing. For a month or so I've largely taken myself off calorie restrictions - still occasionally doing IF, but not religiously - because I felt like I was starting to wear down. And I think eating more has really benefited me for now - I feel a lot better, seem to be recovering faster. My weight is up about 5# from where I was, but it's been pretty stable there, rather than continuous gain. And my running in the last few weeks seems to have made a little jump in spite of carrying the extra 5#. They seem to be 5 "good" pounds.

The difference in mechanics between gaining strength and losing weight is interesting. In both cases, we're trying to force our bodies out of equilibrium. With strength gains, the fundamental idea is to increase the demands on your body just enough to inspire it to remodel itself better than before. But with strength gains, there simply is no guarantee - sure, dedication and a good program can give you a very good chance of getting what you want, but in the end the remodeling process just isn't always predictable. Sometimes it takes more, sometimes less... and sometimes the body just doesn't respond, at least not the way you want. And with strength gains, more stimulus doesn't necessarily mean more adaptation - more stimulus instead may cause break down.

With weight loss, the process is actually guaranteed to work. If you are consuming less energy than your body uses, you absolutely 100% will lose weight. And more stimulus is guaranteed to give you more adaptation - it's just a matter of physics. Of course, for most people (myself included) the weight loss stimulus is far more mentally difficult to cope with than the strength gain stimulus. And the other problem is, you might not necessarily like the adaptation you get. When faced with an energy deficit, to try to find equilibrium again the body will do the easiest things first. It will start tearing down structures that aren't energy efficient, like your 20" guns. It will stop using as much resources to repair all the damage you did during your lifting session - an excellent feedback path for the body to force you to quit doing damage while its worried about starving. That's kind of the feeling that I was getting - that my body was trying to force me to lower my energy expenditure to match what I was consuming. Of course, what most of us really want is fat loss, not just weight loss. And I'm coming to the conclusion that fat loss is more complicated beast to tame.

There's an article on T-nation that I've reread many times over the last couple years:

I think I have to come up with some way of "cycling" how I'm eating, and maybe how I'm training along with it. Can't do the same thing forever and expect continuous results, have to disrupt equilibrium somehow... and in the right way...

I'm not sure I agree with your viewpoints on weight loss.

Guaranteed to happen. Happen how, exactly? Certainly starvation will work, but is it really what we want? Is it a valid tool to consider? Of course, you go into it yourself, but the beginning sounds far too simple for it.

Or the bigger question, why is weight loss different from training? If you always do a bit more in training, can you avoid the adaptation? Isn't doing more the proof of it? Wouldn't diet be served by the same laws as training, waviness and the like?

I get it that training can be too much and we get overtraining and the like, for example, but the diet can be too much as well. If we consider the actual reality of the typical diet or the typical training program, are the rules really that different?

2/1 07:00

Trifecta
OP 3x3 140#
Shoulder sequence

2/1 17:00

Mobility warmup
SQT 3x3 295#
BP 3x3 215#
Pullups 4x3 40#
Grip work
Hang board

Little bit of a tough day with the lifts, but made it through.

Ponder for the day: calf training. I tore an Achilles tendon many years ago, and my calf muscles never came back the same. My wife is fond of saying I have one calf, and one cow (the big, strong one that didn't get torn). For the most part, I've never found it restrictive, but I absolutely notice it in karate kata; it's much harder to hit heel-raised position with the bad calf than with the good. So I've been doing one daily set of calf raises to try to even it out. But, like pushups, I'm coming to the conclusion that 1 set a day won't do it; need some more density. But, I tried that today... and decided that calf work before squats might not be a good idea - felt like it messed with the squats. But... my evening session is already too long, don't have time to tack more on at the end. There's never enough time!
I always used to do calf training last, if at all. The best natural movement I've found for calves was sprinting up hills. I read one time that Steve Reeves, former Mr. America and Hercules star, used to run the hills or steps around his home in Berkeley. My sister and BIL lived there for many years, and I've walked some of those hills and steps. Great training ground.

Guaranteed to happen. Happen how, exactly?
A thought that I had - not only we want an answer to a question, but we also have in a way a prejudging opinion how this answer may look like. So sometimes we won't accept this answer in a different form (evidence, clue, omen...) Not related to the particular question, just made me think (yes, it happens)

Guaranteed to happen. Happen how, exactly? Certainly starvation will work, but is it really what we want? Is it a valid tool to consider? Of course, you go into it yourself, but the beginning sounds far too simple for it.

Or the bigger question, why is weight loss different from training? If you always do a bit more in training, can you avoid the adaptation? Isn't doing more the proof of it? Wouldn't diet be served by the same laws as training, waviness and the like?
People tend to get a little rankled at the idea that weight loss is "simple"... but I do stand by that. Weight loss, specifically, is simple (not easy). Of course, these are all just my thoughts/opinions, no bio-science to back them up...

Take the case of eating and drinking absolutely nothing for a day. Unless you have some method of absorbing moisture from the air, you are guaranteed to lose weight, that very day. Simple physics. But the real issue is, you're not at all guaranteed to get the adaptation you want. Nobody looks at the number on the scale and says to themselves, "I wish I could drop 5 pounds of water weight" or "I'd be a lot happier with 5 less pounds of muscle in my legs". That's what you're getting at, and we're on the same page. The realization I was coming to was that I need to stop thinking in terms of weight loss; I need to think in terms of fat loss, which is what we all really want.

Then, take the case of training. If you spend 12 hours training in a single day, are you going to emerge stronger the next day (or however long it is it takes to recover)? Probably... but I don't think its guaranteed. Training is a statistics game; any single training session is at least likely to make you stronger (up to a point, of course), so when you add it up over the long haul of weeks/months/years, you are highly likely to get stronger. But on any given day, or cycle even, there's no guarantee.

The other thing I find interesting between the two are the feedback mechanisms from the body. The body doesn't really care that you want to deadlift 2x your bodyweight or have 6-pack abs; the body likes equilibrium. It doesn't particularly want to change, and it will try to resist the stimulus the mind forces on it through pain signals. Usually, it's mild; hunger, soreness, fatigue, that sort of thing. But the extreme cases are interestingly different. In starvation, the body has no way to force you to consume. If you are able to endure the pain signal, you can continue to starve. In extreme exertion, however, the body absolutely can put a stop to it. You won't be doing any squatting if a searing pain signal prevents your quad from developing any sort of tension.

Given all that, its fascinating to me how much more difficult fat loss is than training - for me at least - given that physics and feedback control would seem to say the opposite should be the case. Of course, there's an emotional aspect too, which means that all science just flies out the window. I love cheeseburgers and pizza almost as much as I love throwing heavy things around.

In the end, I'm concluding that fat loss is much more like training. It's more statistical in nature - when you're in calorie deficit, you are likely to loss fat on a given day, but not guaranteed. And, as you said, I'm thinking fat loss probably needs some aspect of waviness or variation. In strength training, we generally do not assume that you can keep doing the same thing every day and it will just continue to "work" forever (sorry, S&S....). When the body find equilibrium, we have to nudge it back our of equilibrium in order to trigger a response. I think the same must be true for fat loss.

Now, figuring out how to make that happen in my life is another ball of wax...

A thought that I had - not only we want an answer to a question, but we also have in a way a prejudging opinion how this answer may look like. So sometimes we won't accept this answer in a different form (evidence, clue, omen...) Not related to the particular question, just made me think (yes, it happens)
You mean, we're more likely to accept answers that agree with our per-conceived notions?

I don't believe that... so it must not be true. :p

You mean, we're more likely to accept answers that agree with our per-conceived notions?
After meticulous check with Thesaurus and Oxford dictionary, I confirm - that's what I mean. Now let's play at my field and speak Russian ?

Congratulations, you discovered Zen and know the wisdom of the Universe. Teach me, sensei! ?

The best natural movement I've found for calves was sprinting up hills.
Hill running was a big part of my training back in college. We'd have hill runs at least once week, usually more in off-season. There was a good hill, maybe 50 yards long and plenty steep, maybe 20 degree incline, that we had to walk (or run) up just to get from the parking lot to the weight room. Good stuff.

2/5 08:00

Push-ups 12,17,13,11,11
45min treadmill run/walk 3.4m
- 1W 9E (4T 1W)x4 14E 1W
Tac frog, pumps + QL straddle

Higher RPE on the morning run today. Played hookie from work and went skiing with the family in the afternoon. But I forgot to rehydrate after the run, so I got an abdominal cramp while trying to get my boots off! ?‍♂️Hydrate, you dummy!

Last edited:
People tend to get a little rankled at the idea that weight loss is "simple"... but I do stand by that. Weight loss, specifically, is simple (not easy). Of course, these are all just my thoughts/opinions, no bio-science to back them up...

Take the case of eating and drinking absolutely nothing for a day. Unless you have some method of absorbing moisture from the air, you are guaranteed to lose weight, that very day. Simple physics. But the real issue is, you're not at all guaranteed to get the adaptation you want. Nobody looks at the number on the scale and says to themselves, "I wish I could drop 5 pounds of water weight" or "I'd be a lot happier with 5 less pounds of muscle in my legs". That's what you're getting at, and we're on the same page. The realization I was coming to was that I need to stop thinking in terms of weight loss; I need to think in terms of fat loss, which is what we all really want.

Then, take the case of training. If you spend 12 hours training in a single day, are you going to emerge stronger the next day (or however long it is it takes to recover)? Probably... but I don't think its guaranteed. Training is a statistics game; any single training session is at least likely to make you stronger (up to a point, of course), so when you add it up over the long haul of weeks/months/years, you are highly likely to get stronger. But on any given day, or cycle even, there's no guarantee.

The other thing I find interesting between the two are the feedback mechanisms from the body. The body doesn't really care that you want to deadlift 2x your bodyweight or have 6-pack abs; the body likes equilibrium. It doesn't particularly want to change, and it will try to resist the stimulus the mind forces on it through pain signals. Usually, it's mild; hunger, soreness, fatigue, that sort of thing. But the extreme cases are interestingly different. In starvation, the body has no way to force you to consume. If you are able to endure the pain signal, you can continue to starve. In extreme exertion, however, the body absolutely can put a stop to it. You won't be doing any squatting if a searing pain signal prevents your quad from developing any sort of tension.

Given all that, its fascinating to me how much more difficult fat loss is than training - for me at least - given that physics and feedback control would seem to say the opposite should be the case. Of course, there's an emotional aspect too, which means that all science just flies out the window. I love cheeseburgers and pizza almost as much as I love throwing heavy things around.

In the end, I'm concluding that fat loss is much more like training. It's more statistical in nature - when you're in calorie deficit, you are likely to loss fat on a given day, but not guaranteed. And, as you said, I'm thinking fat loss probably needs some aspect of waviness or variation. In strength training, we generally do not assume that you can keep doing the same thing every day and it will just continue to "work" forever (sorry, S&S....). When the body find equilibrium, we have to nudge it back our of equilibrium in order to trigger a response. I think the same must be true for fat loss.

Now, figuring out how to make that happen in my life is another ball of wax...

Yes, I think we have to think of fitness and bodyweight both as on a continuum.

We have a setpoint, the homeostasis. What body wants to hold on to. Or does it? It always wants to adapt, and the first stimulus of a kind is always the strongest.

It is interesting to note that you equate overexertion with starvation, right? Wouldn't it rather be overeating instead? Just giving another viewpoint.

Besides, as we compare the hazards, overeating is the obvious #1. Just keep drinking water without the possibility of vomiting, and you die, very very soon. Starvation takes a long time, as does not moving.

I agree that losing any kind of weight in the short run is very simple, like in your example. However, I'm not sure training is that different. I see that every session should develop us. Louie Simmons says that in every session one should do more, if not, it's exercise, not training. First of all, one can question how one does more. Second, I would rather see the training stimulus in a longer timeframe, as I would perhaps the diet as well, a digestion timeframe?

Getting back to the continuums, we are at one point with both body composition and with, let's say fitness. We eat an X number of calories and the bodyweight stays put - or do we need to account for protein to keep muscle or carbs to keep water weight? Right away it gets more complicated. But in simple terms, eating more than X gains us weight and eating less makes us lose it. The fitness is the same. Doing X gets us to this point, doing less makes us lose it, doing more makes us gain more. And we can get more specific, strength, conditioning, whatever you want to specify, in a way we did with the diet. These two setpoints are of course strongly linked with each other for more complications.

So yes, to my original point, I think both are much alike and play much by the same laws. To me, it brings to mind if the typical dieting talk is reasonable after all. What would the training be like if equated to typical weight loss advice? What would diet be like with the Soviet training methods of waviness and the like?

For me too, I find it much easier to build fitness than to lose fat. With strength training, I love the feedback, and I'm hooked on it. I think we should also account for the positive feedback we get, not only the negative. Lifting big iron feels awesome, and one learns to love the doms and the like, a bit like Pavlov's dog, I guess. Runners get their runners high. Se know how pizza and chocolate feels. Fasting gives us mental clarity and the like. I don't like the hunger, the tiredness. I'm almost thinking if it would be possible to outrun a donut or two.

2/5 08:00

Push-ups 12,17,13,11,11
45min treadmill run/walk 3.4m
- 1W 9E (4T 1W)x4 14E 1W
Tac frog, pumps + QL straddle

Higher RPE on the morning run today. Played hookie from work and went skiing with the family in the afternoon. But I forgot to rehydrate after the run, so I got an abdominal cramp while trying to get my boots off! ?‍♂️Hydrate, you dummy!
We have a saying.... ‘hydrate or die’...

It is interesting to note that you equate overexertion with starvation, right? Wouldn't it rather be overeating instead? Just giving another viewpoint.
Good point - I was purely thinking of extremes, but it would be more accurate to equate overeating to overtraining in terms of extreme excess. And interestingly, the body does have a method of preventing you from overeating in extreme scenarios; try to cram too much food into your belly, and the body will reject it ?. So it's similarly interesting, then, that the body doesn't have some feedback mechanism against "under-training" (i.e. becoming a complete couch potato). No signal that says, "your legs have atrophied to dangerous levels, get the $#%* up!" I imagine that, for our ancestors, such a signal would have simply been redundant to hunger; if you don't get up and move, you don't eat. Not so much in modern times, of course.

I agree that losing any kind of weight in the short run is very simple, like in your example. However, I'm not sure training is that different. I see that every session should develop us.
And that's where I'm not so sure. We all know that training plateaus happen, which is in effect when the body stops responding to your demands. And the answer to breaking through isn't just "do more" usually, right? It's "do something else" - same but different, in SF-speak. Just pouring in more isn't necessarily the answer.

But at the same time, training doesn't have the same kind of immediate obvious feedback as the number of the scale. So, I could concede that perhaps each session does something - it may just not be in the direction that you're looking for. Maybe a given session doesn't end up increasing strength, but ends up building some more circulatory capability to the existing muscular. And of course, the same can happen on the scale - if you lose 1# of fat but pick up 1# of water, you did what you wanted to do, but probably don't "see" the result.

What would the training be like if equated to typical weight loss advice?
Ha, that totally exists today. "Just do this one exercise, all other exercises will kill you!"

What would diet be like with the Soviet training methods of waviness and the like?
Yes, this exactly. I want to find a system of progressive diet overload (underload?), with waviness. And periodic pizza deloads.

For me too, I find it much easier to build fitness than to lose fat. With strength training, I love the feedback, and I'm hooked on it. I think we should also account for the positive feedback we get, not only the negative. Lifting big iron feels awesome, and one learns to love the doms and the like, a bit like Pavlov's dog, I guess. Runners get their runners high. Se know how pizza and chocolate feels. Fasting gives us mental clarity and the like. I don't like the hunger, the tiredness. I'm almost thinking if it would be possible to outrun a donut or two.
Absolutely. The benefits of training - developing a new skill or lifting something heavier than you've ever lifted before - are much more of an "instant gratification", if you will - a much more intense high. I am doubtful that guys with 6-pack abs wake up in the morning, see themselves in the mirror, and get a big adrenaline rush and roar at the top of their lungs.

Though, who knows... maybe I would do that, if I had 6-pack abs...

As far as outrunning the donuts... my experience has been that, if I'm just maintaining my weight, I can combat poor diet with more work. But, I can't shed fat that way. Again, I think this is an example that the body likes equilibrium. It doesn't particularly want to shed fat, but it doesn't particularly want to add it either. It's just too bad that the "quit overeating" signal doesn't kick in sooner for most of us...

Good point - I was purely thinking of extremes, but it would be more accurate to equate overeating to overtraining in terms of extreme excess. And interestingly, the body does have a method of preventing you from overeating in extreme scenarios; try to cram too much food into your belly, and the body will reject it ?. So it's similarly interesting, then, that the body doesn't have some feedback mechanism against "under-training" (i.e. becoming a complete couch potato). No signal that says, "your legs have atrophied to dangerous levels, get the $#%* up!" I imagine that, for our ancestors, such a signal would have simply been redundant to hunger; if you don't get up and move, you don't eat. Not so much in modern times, of course.

And that's where I'm not so sure. We all know that training plateaus happen, which is in effect when the body stops responding to your demands. And the answer to breaking through isn't just "do more" usually, right? It's "do something else" - same but different, in SF-speak. Just pouring in more isn't necessarily the answer.

But at the same time, training doesn't have the same kind of immediate obvious feedback as the number of the scale. So, I could concede that perhaps each session does something - it may just not be in the direction that you're looking for. Maybe a given session doesn't end up increasing strength, but ends up building some more circulatory capability to the existing muscular. And of course, the same can happen on the scale - if you lose 1# of fat but pick up 1# of water, you did what you wanted to do, but probably don't "see" the result.

Ha, that totally exists today. "Just do this one exercise, all other exercises will kill you!"

Yes, this exactly. I want to find a system of progressive diet overload (underload?), with waviness. And periodic pizza deloads.

Absolutely. The benefits of training - developing a new skill or lifting something heavier than you've ever lifted before - are much more of an "instant gratification", if you will - a much more intense high. I am doubtful that guys with 6-pack abs wake up in the morning, see themselves in the mirror, and get a big adrenaline rush and roar at the top of their lungs.

Though, who knows... maybe I would do that, if I had 6-pack abs...

As far as outrunning the donuts... my experience has been that, if I'm just maintaining my weight, I can combat poor diet with more work. But, I can't shed fat that way. Again, I think this is an example that the body likes equilibrium. It doesn't particularly want to shed fat, but it doesn't particularly want to add it either. It's just too bad that the "quit overeating" signal doesn't kick in sooner for most of us...

I'm not sure if there isn't any feedback for deterioration of fitness. Like, I get aches and the like when I have to stop training. Also, it becomes apparent that some things get harder to do! Could it be so simple? But it's not as strong a mechanism, I agree.

We can get training plateaus but then again, we get fat loss plateaus as well. It's no different. And one has to be clever about doing more, what exactly it means. Like some start losing weight when they start eating more, and some get stronger when they train less, etc. Neither path is perfectly clear cut. And yes, maybe things just happen but we don't see it.

I can't say that I know everything about dieting but I sure have a lot of experience with it! In my experience, the diets always work, until I stop working them. I lose the fat, often quickly. Then the weight creeps up again. Though with the barbell training it seems that it's not just blubber that comes back, I get back to a certain weight again and again but I'm leaner every time, and I don't hit the highest I've been. Getting the weight back is way slower than losing it, and frankly, a rather enjoyable process!

I think the waviness is a natural way of eating. And a diet isn't that bad, even if it's strict, if you know it's only for three weeks. Like a different training block? And then you can do GVT squats and eat well afterwards.

the body likes equilibrium. It doesn't particularly want to change
This is true in a way but the body is also ruthlessly efficient and changes all the time in response to the environment. If you don’t use a muscle it atrophies. If you have excess calorie intake it creates fat. If you get a lot of aerobic work in you create new capillaries and blood cells. But maddeningly it’s a non-linear system so in most cases the x—> y function is a lot harder to track.
I think the waviness is a natural way of eating.
For almost all humans for all of human history, this was absolutely the case. Three square meals and more recently constant feeding are very modern creations. We know now that fasting triggers epigenetic changes related to cellular health. And certainly almost every religion in the world baked fasting into the plan. I have heard it speculated (by Valter Longo, the leading researcher in this kind of stuff) that our bodies used fasting as a trigger for this kind of maintenance because it was something that could be counted on happening on a regular basis.
And then you can do GVT squats and eat well afterwards.
And this gets to what ”eating well” means. The modern diet is so far off any historic norms that we can only consider it to be a giant experiment and the results have not been good. I read once about two groups of baboons that were put on calorie restricted diets. The group that had a healthy diet only had minimal benefits from calorie restriction. The group that had the equivalent of SAD (standard American diet) had much better health and lifespan. But to Dr Banner’s point about physics above, both groups were really skinny.

2/8 07:30

BAN practice
Trifecta
OP 4x5 100#
Shoulder sequence

I've been doing a calisthenics warmup most mornings previously, which I was't logging. For a while, I'm going to use some of my morning warmups to work on some "ninja" skills (BAN = big-arse ninja). Here's what I'm doing:

• Spins
    • Remember when you were little, and you could spin around for hours and never feel dizzy? Well, when you're older, and you haven't done it for a while, it only takes 3 rotations to get dizzy ? ?
  • Hanging leg raise - working towards a skin the cat, which I am not even remotely close to right now
  • Horse stance blocking/punching drills
  • Chin ups
  • Wrist plyometrics
  • Wall handstand practice
  • Forward tumbling (also very dizzying right now)
If I get nothing else out of it than the ability to spin around or tumble and not feel dizzy, I'll consider that a success. Going to start including this in my logs, since I don't plan to do it every day.

2/8 17:00

Mobility warmup
SQT 3x5 215#
BP 3x5 155#
Pullups 4x5
Hammer swings + hand work (CoC and extensors)

Taking a deload week while I figure out a few other tweaks to the master plan.

2/9 07:30

Push-ups 12,17,13,13,11
FSPM + front splits

Having some trouble with time management in the morning, missed getting in my run again. And my ability to just roll out of bed at 6 and go train seems to have vanished in the age of COVID.

2/9 17:15

Mobility warmup
KB snatch 16x5 32
Suitcase carries 10s x20 48
Exploring some balance drills

And my ability to just roll out of bed at 6 and go train seems to have vanished in the age of COVID.
Me too! But I decided that this is absolutely a good thing because it means for the first time in my adult life I am getting enough sleep on a regular basis. And sleep really matters! I know the science is clear that it is actually more important for your health than just about anything including exercise. Plus I just feel better and that is the part that is motivating to me.
Days half over by 0600...
That seems early for lunch to me. Besides bedtime at sunset means that so much of the funner part of life is missed.

Back
Top Bottom