all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Anyone else prefer training with Competition Kettlebells ?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Haha yep. During lockdown there were a few close calls in my garage where I almost lost a bell at full swing.
Only time I ever lost a bell was some absurd “golf”
Swing. Took out a chest of drawers. I lost a bell once, I remember it was Good Friday. I was doing crush curls. Sucker just slid out my hands and took out a floor board. I’ve pulled off utter contortions saving my beautiful face from missed windmills, bent presses and TGU also. Never a swing though.

if I did t enjoy my training I’d probably quit and then it wouldn’t be very effective!

Scroll down and you can read a few pages of the book, "Relentless."

Mr. Friedes is way more accomplished weight lifter,

This isn't about being accomplished.

I don’t think training with uncomfortable equipment is valuable (I had a cheap bell with very rough handles I replaced cause it just wasn’t worth the discomfort)
See my comment above about putting barbed wire on your kettlebell handles - no one is suggesting that.

Thanks.

-S-

@Kev do you use anything at all in replacement of chalk? I've had a few tears myself and have found a rice buckets is a good way to take the moisture out of the palms.

Strong hands with good endurance from using them with heavy implements.

Strong hands let you grip looser = less friction = better ballistics

Less friction = less blisters and callouses

Strong hands with good endurance from using them with heavy implements.

Strong hands let you grip looser = less friction = better ballistics

Less friction = less blisters and callouses
Oooh you're just baiting everyone today!....

heat/friction + moisture = blisters. Do a lot of very high rep work and you're likely to have both the necessary ingredients for blisters w. KBs. Chalk helps absorb moisture and if your technique is good you're minimizing friction.

If you live in a cool dry climate and have dry hands, and/or you never really push the envelope on high rep KB snatches, then yeah, you might not need chalk.

Scroll down and you can read a few pages of the book, "Relentless."

This isn't about being accomplished.

See my comment above about putting barbed wire on your kettlebell handles - no one is suggesting that.

Thanks.

-S-
I missed your barbed wire comment.

I shouldn’t interact on forums via my smart phone. I’m imposing a penalty on myself.

Cheers, all!

Oooh you're just baiting everyone today!....

heat/friction + moisture = blisters. Do a lot of very high rep work and you're likely to have both the necessary ingredients for blisters w. KBs. Chalk helps absorb moisture and if your technique is good you're minimizing friction.

If you live in a cool dry climate and have dry hands, and/or you never really push the envelope on high rep KB snatches, then yeah, you might not need chalk.

No chalk in rowing, so my body had to learn.

Oars get quite wet.

If you death grip the oar handle (or even the erg handle), you're in bad shape by the end of a 2K race.

No chalk in rowing, so my body had to learn.

Oars get quite wet.

If you death grip the oar handle (or even the erg handle), you're in bad shape by the end of a 2K race.
I get it. I imagine that no matter how good your technique, you're going to have the occasional blister, chalk or no chalk, KBing or rowing.

I get it. I imagine that no matter how good your technique, you're going to have the occasional blister, chalk or no chalk, KBing or rowing.

I actually haven't had a tear that I need to tape in probably 10 years.

Instead, I have ganglion cysts (left wrist, right middle finger), latent trigger finger, and lots of dead nerves in my thumbs (hook grip). ;)

For what it’s worth I think comfort and enjoyment are important when it comes to exercise.

All due respect, Mr. Friedes is way more accomplished weight lifter, but if I did t enjoy my training I’d probably quit and then it wouldn’t be very effective! Also, while I think some training outside your “comfort zone” is important I don’t think training with uncomfortable equipment is valuable (I had a cheap bell with very rough handles I replaced cause it just wasn’t worth the discomfort)

I actually find cast iron bells to be more comfortable for goblet squats and two-handed work.

Finally, I have both styles of bell and while I lean toward iron, I cannot quite part with my competition bells…

Completely agree. If kettlebells are a hobby of yours, why would you choose equipment that is going to make you enjoy it less. Especially given the results would be no better. Lose-lose.

There is this 'get comfortable with being uncomfortable' pseudo-machismo shtick floating around that touts the idea that you shouldn't be enjoying training - it should make you uncomfortable - and the less you enjoy it, the better it is for you... Allegedly.

There is this 'get comfortable with being uncomfortable' pseudo-machismo shtick floating around that touts the idea that you shouldn't be enjoying training - it should make you uncomfortable - and the less you enjoy it, the better it is for you... Allegedly.

Well, yeah, at least in moderation.

Breaking homeostasis is uncomfortable.

But if you're not disrupting homeostasis, you're not progressing.

That's not machismo, that's just SAID.

I think I'll go Girevoy for a year. It’ll be starting again and it will be being coached and it will be an entirely new thing. Just like learning how to fly fish during Covid. In a years time I will absolutely invite reasons why my grip is guff and my strength is less and blah blah blah. Lol

Last edited:
So I’ve recently acquired a Bertucci. I love G-Shock however after my rangeman I’m not that bothered. A Luminox navy seal ended my gshock affair. I want a Tudor black bay 58.

I collect mechanicals, almost exclusively dive watches (they survive rowing just fine, and the beaters I actually wear diving).

I've got a mixture of vintage 1960s-1970s models, as well as more recent over-engineered monsters from the likes of Sinn.

I collect mechanicals, almost exclusively dive watches (they survive rowing just fine, and the beaters I actually wear diving).

I've got a mixture of vintage 1960s-1970s models, as well as more recent over-engineered monsters from the likes of Sinn.
Dude what you doing to me. So I wanted a Hamilton khaki mechanical until I realised what mechanical meant. I want an automatic and I’m on the waiting list for a Helm Vanuatu.

I am about as un-macho a person as I know, a musician who teaches people how to play the piano, all the way down to 4-year-olds, and all the way up to age 90+. You'll have to take my word for it, I'm a nice guy, and you keep trying to make this into something it isn't. I don't teach StrongFirst things any differently, but in both cases for me, it's results that matter. Suffering isn't encouraged and isn't required, and if you using a StrongFirst style kettlebell for your training is suffering, then please do whatever you need to.

Breaking homeostasis is uncomfortable. But if you're not disrupting homeostasis, you're not progressing. That's not machismo, that's just SAID.

True.

-S-

I am about as un-macho a person as I know, a musician who teaches people how to play the piano, all the way down to 4-year-olds, and all the way up to age 90+. You'll have to take my word for it, I'm a nice guy, and you keep trying to make this into something it isn't. I don't teach StrongFirst things any differently, but in both cases for me, it's results that matter. Suffering isn't encouraged and isn't required, and if you using a StrongFirst style kettlebell for your training is suffering, then please do whatever you need to.

True.

-S-
My wife is teaching piano on the Yamaha baby grand upstairs as we speak. Been doing it for 20 years.

She swings a great kettlebell too.

@Kev, you should go full girevoy and take Russian language classes as well.

True.

-S-
Steve. I don’t think machismo is the issue. It’s just sometimes and maybe it’s the medium of typing things, you are frankly an arse. No offence I’m often an arse but you are an arse in a manner. that annoys folk. TGU for a lot of us is utter bollocks. S+S for a lot of us is utter bollocks and when folk have another experience and you go “that’s not Strongfirst “ it mildly annoys folk.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom