all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Anyone else prefer training with Competition Kettlebells ?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Dude what you doing to me. So I wanted a Hamilton khaki mechanical until I realised what mechanical meant. I want an automatic and I’m on the waiting list for a Helm Vanuatu.

Oh, I'm including automatics in mechanicals, although I do have a few hand-wind watches (Panerai).

I just meant I don't collect quartz.

Oh, I'm including automatics in mechanicals, although I do have a few hand-wind watches (Panerai).

I just meant I don't collect quartz.
Words. Not even English. So I know the script. I want a Seiko Arnie. But aware I covet orient maki and Kamasu.. I don’t even know why I covet a Tudor. I’m on tbe waiting list for a helm Vanuatu

Words. Not even English. So I know the script. I want a Seiko Arnie. But aware I covet orient maki and Kamasu.. I don’t even know why I covet a Tudor. I’m on tbe waiting list for a helm Vanuatu

I just bought a Seiko 'Captain Willard' SLA033 1970 6105 reissue.

Reactions: Kev
My wife is teaching piano on the Yamaha baby grand upstairs as we speak. Been doing it for 20 years.

She swings a great kettlebell too.

@Kev, you should go full girevoy and take Russian language classes as well.
Mate I’m Glaswegian I barely manage good England unt speller and grammering. Slavic languages are utterly absurd. I also hate vodka. Borscht is amazing though and I’ve brewed Kvass.

Most of our kettlebells are competition, primarily because my wife used to compete in KB sport (she was very close to Master of Sport with the one arm long cycle with the 24kg). 8kg to 28kg, need to get some heavier ones though.

I still have a pair of cast iron DD 16kg that are likely 20 years old - I think I bought them in 2002.

I think I'll go Girevoy for a year. It’ll be starting again and it will be being coached and it will be an entirely new thing. Just like learning how to fly fish during Covid. In a years time I will absolutely invite reasons why my grip is guff and my strength is less and blah blah blah. Lol
Definitely give it a go. I hired an online coach and gave it a crack briefly last year. He had me using much lighter weights than usual but my strength went up nonetheless which was nice. Work capacity shot up unsurprisingly !

Definitely give it a go. I hired an online coach and gave it a crack briefly last year. He had me using much lighter weights than usual but my strength went up nonetheless which was nice. Work capacity shot up unsurprisingly !
That sounds awesome !

for what we teach here, we recommend the kind of kettlebells we sell here and, if you choose not to use those, similar would be better than competition bells.

This confuses me. The front cover of Iron Cardio has Brett Jones with a competition bell I think?

Anyways, my take is,

#1, use what you have available. Working out with any flavour of bell will return immense physical and mental benefits. Do not allow having the 'incorrect' bell be an excuse to stop practice.
#2, if you are in the fortunate position of being able to practice with many flavours of bells, choose what is your personal preference and will encourage you to practice more. Someone else's opinion and preference may not reflect your own, this is okay.

I achieved Timed Simple with borrowed bells, each weight was a different brand and style. I was just grateful to people lending them to me for my practice. Some bells I preferred more than others, but I reasoned that at the end of the day, 32kg is 32kg.

In summary, after trying many bells, choose what makes YOU happy.

I have just tried one yesterday. With TGU I think it puts a bit too much pressure on the forearm Vs the base of the palm. Plus - the handle is thinner. They should be great for high volume snatch and clean (GS biathlon). For the SF purpose - developing oneself with the kettlebell - I think a good hardstyle bell would be better.

I collect mechanicals, almost exclusively dive watches (they survive rowing just fine, and the beaters I actually wear diving).

I've got a mixture of vintage 1960s-1970s models, as well as more recent over-engineered monsters from the likes of Sinn.
Oh man, I really like the look of the Sinn EZMs. If I ever drop mad money on a non-gps watch I think it's between one of those and a big Marathon auto diver.

This confuses me. The front cover of Iron Cardio has Brett Jones with a competition bell I think?
I think it is cast iron that has been painted yellow. Size looks wrong to me.

Anyways, my take is,

#1, use what you have available. Working out with any flavour of bell will return immense physical and mental benefits. Do not allow having the 'incorrect' bell be an excuse to stop practice.
No one is suggesting anything different - as with most things in life, you do the best you can. And certainly no one is suggesting that using a different kind of kettlebell is "an excuse to stop practicing" - again, we all do the best we can with what we have. That doesn't change what we recommend as the best solution, but by "best" we don't mean "only."

No, I don't agree with that. As I've said before, we're concerned with your progress, not your happiness.
For the SF purpose - developing oneself with the kettlebell - I think a good hardstyle bell would be better.
Exactly.

-S-

Absolutely.

Also to note - I have nothing against cast iron bells. I've owned many of them over the years from plenty of brands and they're great.. I just think comp bells are superior.

For me progress and happiness are two peas in a pod. If I started a program with the aim of progression and I wasn't enjoying it, i.e not happy for reason X, then I would learn from reason X and replace the program with something different, life is too short to try and attain progression when unhappy. In the case of my journey, I enjoyed using comp bells. In actual fact the worst bell I used was a DD Russian Red 24. The horn was very thick and had a very thick layer of enamel like paint which I didn't enjoy the feel of. I was happy to jump to the 32 and leave that particular bell behind.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom