all posts post new thread

Kettlebell AXE Training Thread

I'm at the end of the first four weeks of AXE training. I've progressed by:
28k x 4 OTM x 20 sets (did this twice in first week)
28k x 4 OTM x 30 sets (second week twice)
28k x 6 OTM x 20 sets (third week twice)
28k x 6 OTM x 30 sets (did this once yesterday, will do this again saturday)
My average HR during these sessions was around 100bpm, with no HR peaks beyond 135. No stop signs hit. All swings strong and powerful.

I more than likely could have started with 32k x 4 OTM, but I have not been 1 hand swinging in a few years. These 8 sessions have been quite easy, but have gotten me back into 1 hand swings.

Next week I'll tackle 32k x 4 OTM with no expectations of how many repeats before stop signs, but if I get to 20 repeats I'll stop. Was thinking of hitting 20 repeats, keep the same repeats for 3 more sessions, then on the 5th, switch one session to 2 hand swings, or snatches, keeping the same repeats.

Have anyone noticed any signs of hypertrophy ?
Honestly, my thighs keep getting slightly more complicated looking. The different muscles in the quad keep getting very slightly more defined over the weeks I've spent on axe training. I blame the raw tonnages first and foremost. And the emphasis on type 2 fiber activation secondly.

It's subtle tho

Last edited:
Have anyone noticed any signs of hypertrophy ?
After doing Q&D snatching then doing A+A snatches, I noticed my back and shoulders are definitely bigger. My quads have noticeably gotten more developed too. And my ability to deadlift feels stronger as well. I feel like I recover faster between sets of barbell lifts too. I used to gas pretty easily on sets of five but after doing A+A for several sets of 5, a set of five of any lift doesn't make me dread the set like I once did.

What about the belly? Has there been a fat burning effect?
Yes, I know it depends on the food...

What about the belly? Has there been a fat burning effect?
Yes, I know it depends on the food...
Kettlebell ballistics have been referred to as the "fat-burning athlete builder".

AXE KB ballistics will 'hit' the abs without specifically targeting the abs.

Do AXE with some Turkish Get Ups and a smart diet and you're (at least) 80% of the way to having the belly you want.

Kettlebell ballistics have been referred to as the "fat-burning athlete builder".

AXE KB ballistics will 'hit' the abs without specifically targeting the abs.

Do AXE with some Turkish Get Ups and a smart diet and you're (at least) 80% of the way to having the belly you want.
I throw in some landmine rotations and ab wheel rollouts immediately after AXE to specifically target the abs.

Another option: Original Strength Resets. The 'cross-crawl' (marching in place touching knee to opposite elbow) has done good things for my mid-section.
This has gotten me to consider various leg raises as something to do post AXE sessions as a thought.

Another option: Original Strength Resets. The 'cross-crawl' (marching in place touching knee to opposite elbow) has done good things for my mid-section.
Absolutely! I typically do a few rounds of OS resets on days when I'm not lifting, I haven't used them prior to AXE. Might give that a go.

I usually use goblet squats (2x5) right before I do an AXE session. I usually follow up AXE with a 10-20 minute Iron Cardio session (the latter picked by a roll of a dice for loading and variation).

I rather like the AXE and stopsigns model. I often finish my AXE sessions feeling like I've worked, but I don't feel like I can't do something physical later on in the day, like go to my jiujitsu class.

I usually use goblet squats (2x5) right before I do an AXE session. I usually follow up AXE with a 10-20 minute Iron Cardio session (the latter picked by a roll of a dice for loading and variation).

I rather like the AXE and stopsigns model. I often finish my AXE sessions feeling like I've worked, but I don't feel like I can't do something physical later on in the day, like go to my jiujitsu class.
Curious why you don't do AXE one day, and IC on separate days. Finishing the AXE sessions with gas in the tank is the point.

I’ve been using some OS resets as a warm up before AXE swings, mostly rocking and marching in place. And I’ve been doing AXE then day off, then IC, rinse and repeat.

Curious why you don't do AXE one day, and IC on separate days. Finishing the AXE sessions with gas in the tank is the point.
I fit the IC sessions where I can, usually only one AXE day a week is immediately followed with IC. The other IC I do after a LISS session for a bit of polarized session (LISS is usually walking my very energetic Belgian shepherd at a rather quick pace).

I also am attempting to minimize two a days, since I train in Jiujitsu and Muay Thai.

For the IC piece I was doing Q&D before my IC sessions, or at times I would do them on separate days.

In any case I watch my recovery like a hawk.

Has anyone experienced any WTH effects from AXE training, as it applies to your sport of choice?

I play ice hockey. I've been playing for a long time, I'm 49 now. Skating has always been my strength in the game; especially top end speed. I've only done 4 weeks of AXE 1 hand swings thus far. Playing last night, I had a quicker first step, very noticeably and explosiveness that I can't remember even having, even when I much younger.

How’s the general progress here? I’m in the 8th week now, progress so far has been very minimal. Started with 48 kg 24/4 (HR<85% max before next set but had skin tear) so had to switch to 6 reps and opened with 15/6. So far didn’t go beyond 17/6. I maybe toke my HR too high all the time (set LTHR at 90%, since it felt like I could still pass talk test without a problem). Experimenting now with setting the LTHR at 85% and see if that makes progress better. First 2 sessions with this limit were both 12/6.

Currently 1.5 month later and still respecting the LTHR of 85%. Based on body it should be fine. Added the double espresso glycolytic session once. Didn’t last long as expected.
Regarding progress, there is none unfortunately. Still always at the 12-13 min mark when the heart rate monitor kills the fun. Today even had to quit after set 9, so below the minimum. I’m reconsidering what to do, I’m now 3.5 months in with basically no progress, in or outside gym. Maybe I should try building a base with 5 reps first, or try to push 4 reps until 40 minutes.

Back
Top Bottom