all posts post new thread

Bret S. training log

Mon 8/16

Strange morning today, the pup had diarrhea and was acting a bit lethargic so I became very concerned about him. Later on he rallied, started drinking water and his energy level picked up. We skipped our morning walk today so I could watch him, later I gave him a small amount of dry food mixed with a couple tbsp's of canned pumpkin mixed in, he scarfed it down which was a relief to see. He seems pretty good now though I'll continue to monitor him.

After all the whining this am I actually felt a burst of energy this afternoon before training, here is the session:

Snatch
20NR @ 24k - these felt light

Mace
4 x 25 10&2 @ 30lb

NS burpee with power jump and pull-up
20 in 10 mins

Totals:
100 snatch
100 mace
60 push-up
20 pull-up
20 power jump
This session checks all the boxes I need checked these days. Buteyko sessions have been reading lower holdScreenshot 2021-08-16 3.24.44 PM.png times for the last few days, probably fighting a bug.

Thurs 8/19

Morning walk/run with Buddha, ~65% running. Lots of elevation changes on this route, no flat ground around this area so a decent little stimulus can easily be had. I like the format of walking first before starting the run, Buddha trots along effortlessly it seems.
Screenshot 2021-08-19 9.16.12 AM.png

Thank you sir! How are you liking the 15 lb'er? Any elbow or other issues?
No, but I had used the 10# until it was feeling easy, or maybe light is a better word. The biggest adjustment is my lateral wrist/grip strength. The handle is a full 3/8" larger in diameter, I wasn't expecting that. I'm enjoying the added heft.

No, but I had used the 10# until it was feeling easy, or maybe light is a better word. The biggest adjustment is my lateral wrist/grip strength. The handle is a full 3/8" larger in diameter, I wasn't expecting that. I'm enjoying the added heft.
My maces all have a 2" bamboo handle, they feel easy to grip with some chalk. Sometimes when rowing with mace a little hand fatigue will happen, though it's pretty mild.

Soon enough the 15 lb mace will feel light to you, the more you swing it, the faster you'll adapt (within reason). It sounds like you're taking your time and enjoying the ride with mace and training in general, all good stuff ?

My maces all have a 2" bamboo handle, they feel easy to grip with some chalk. Sometimes when rowing with mace a little hand fatigue will happen, though it's pretty mild.

Soon enough the 15 lb mace will feel light to you, the more you swing it, the faster you'll adapt (within reason). It sounds like you're taking your time and enjoying the ride with mace and training in general, all good stuff ?
You know, that sounds about right. Everything you've told me about mace training has been accurate. Even though I have fairly large hands and fingers, I always preferred a thin-handled bat, when I played softball and baseball. My BIL, was a big baseball artifacts aficionado and had a couple of Babe Ruth's bats; the handles on his bats were absolute clubs. Babe's hand strength must have been impressive.

You know, that sounds about right. Everything you've told me about mace training has been accurate. Even though I have fairly large hands and fingers, I always preferred a thin-handled bat, when I played softball and baseball. My BIL, was a big baseball artifacts aficionado and had a couple of Babe Ruth's bats; the handles on his bats were absolute clubs. Babe's hand strength must have been impressive.
Hand strength is never an issue for me due to decades of construction work, my dad had unbelievable hand strength, right up to when he passed in his sleep. He worked his whole life as a mechanic and owner of several different automotive businesses, his grip was crushing. I recently shook hands with a diesel mechanic, his hands were rock hard and have power to crush walnuts I reckon.

Some are using fat grips for barbell work due to the hand benefits.

Hand strength is never an issue for me due to decades of construction work, my dad had unbelievable hand strength, right up to when he passed in his sleep. He worked his whole life as a mechanic and owner of several different automotive businesses, his grip was crushing. I recently shook hands with a diesel mechanic, his hands were rock hard and have power to crush walnuts I reckon.

Some are using fat grips for barbell work due to the hand benefits.
Funny how real work builds some impressive hands. Years ago, I hired some tree "guys" to take down 9 tall pine trees, up to 80 feet tall. The boss was a stocky guy around 5-8 or 5-9, and he couldn't always use the bucket lift, so he'd climb them with a safety harness and good-sized chain saw strapped onto him. He'd hang onto the tree, holding the chainsaw in one hand. He shook my hand kind of casually, and you could feel the raw strength. The other guy I met was a dairy farmer(ever hear of farmer's carries?), and he was around 6'-6 and probably low 300's. His handshake felt like you were gripping a two-by-six.

Back
Top Bottom