all posts post new thread

Bret S. training log

Thurs 9/23

AM loco..
Got the run recorded today, hit the gas a little.

**edited to better pinpoint the run start, the first chart posted included part of the walk. Red zone was nasal breathing :) happy with this run. I think HR is too high for what I did, will incorporate some more tempo runs in the future.
View attachment 14882
Nice one! sometimes it’s hard to see your hr go so high. I would always try to compare to old stats though to keep progress in the forefront of my mind. This whole training block i would get up to the 160’s eventually, but would look at my average to be about 150. This is 10bpm lower than my average runs the previous year so it would keep me positive. Sometimes during short bursts your aerobic system doesn’t have enough time to adapt and reach the threshold plateau. Can’t remember what that oxygen uptake is called, but if ypu hold it for about 15-20 minutes you should reach threshold and hr should theoretically (and anecdotally from my experience) drop.

Nice one! sometimes it’s hard to see your hr go so high. I would always try to compare to old stats though to keep progress in the forefront of my mind. This whole training block i would get up to the 160’s eventually, but would look at my average to be about 150. This is 10bpm lower than my average runs the previous year so it would keep me positive. Sometimes during short bursts your aerobic system doesn’t have enough time to adapt and reach the threshold plateau. Can’t remember what that oxygen uptake is called, but if ypu hold it for about 15-20 minutes you should reach threshold and hr should theoretically (and anecdotally from my experience) drop.
Thanks Larry,
This was a test to run at sub 10 min mile pace. Eventually I'm going back to some beach running, or extended road running, I miss the hour + run format. I'm thinking of hitting the faster pace run more often, just don't want to get an injury, had enough of those.

Maybe I’m over sensitive to such things, but I’ve gone through a shoulder surgery and rehab process. Not something I would want to see happen to you. Some types of shoulder damage do not fix themselves. Ever.
In such cases the only options really are to build up the musculature around the area (which only masks the issue), or surgery. Not saying this is your case or anything, but to proceed with caution. (I know that you will)

Maybe I’m over sensitive to such things, but I’ve gone through a shoulder surgery and rehab process. Not something I would want to see happen to you. Some types of shoulder damage do not fix themselves. Ever.
In such cases the only options really are to build up the musculature around the area (which only masks the issue), or surgery. Not saying this is your case or anything, but to proceed with caution. (I know that you will)
Thanks Brian, I'll PM you on it when I get some more time.

Same here, two of them. I ignored getting mine fixed and when the 2nd one finally happened, my surgeon had concerns that I'd done too much damage. It worked out. and I was 67.

Tues 9/28

Long trek with Buddha, we took the usual route then added to it substantially. I messed up the recording by not re-starting it after my little buddy decided to take a break under a bush. We went up some fairly steep terrain and got to an overlook I didn't know was there. I figure we missed about a mile of recorded distance with our total time out today at around 1 3/4 hours and traveled ~5 3/4 mi.
IMG_0200.JPG
IMG_0202.JPG
IMG_0205.JPG

Wed 9/29

Getting a foot and hand hold.. emerging slowly from the injury hole.

WU with 12k halos and squats.
10 x 10 snatch @12k
12 mins straight Cook drill @ 12k (1 min OH, 1 min rack, 1 min suitcase.. then switch sides and repeat)
2 x 20 2hsw @ 24k
Plank up and hold, drop to knees and quadruped lat stretch with breath 4 x 5
Screenshot 2021-09-29 4.31.59 PM.png

Thurs 9/30

Been doing GTG hangs throughout the day, mostly passive, some semi-active. Had some doms in the shoulders after the Cook drill on Wed, powerful stuff, even 12 mins at 12k.. TUT and and all that jazz.

I'm able to hang, plank, do some hand walking, down dogs to cobra and back.. may try a push-up or two and see how partial pull-ups feel. Rowing should be fine, light snatching is good, pressing is out, anything involving external rotation is out for now. Been twisting on the Theraflex bar a bit.. all in all things are settling down nicely.

Fri 10/1

AM 2 1/2 mi run/walk with Buddha
PM will walk 1 mile after dinner

- Row 10 min
- mace 25 turns x 2
- row 5 min
- mace 25 turns x 2
- row 5 min
- snatch L&R x 10 ea @ 20k
- row 5 min
- snatch L&R x 10 ea @ 20k
- row 5 min
- Cook drill 3 min ea side @ 12k
- row 10 min

40 mins rowing
100 mace turns
40 snatch
6 min Cook'in
Screenshot 2021-10-01 3.36.06 PM.png

Mon 10/4

Morning run/walk 2 1/2 miles, will walk 1+ mile after dinner

Row 10 min
Down dog to plank to cobra, holding for TUT x 5 rounds
row 5 mins
row 5 mins
row 10 mins
Cook drill 3 mins each side @ 16k
row 5 mins
Cook drill 3 mins each side @ 16k
row 5 mins
20 OS rocking toes extended with double pump at the bottom

Totals
40 mins rowing for 6.25 mi
15 rounds TUT
12 mins Cook drill
Screenshot 2021-10-04 5.33.50 PM.png

Thurs 10/7

Everything was going swimmingly with the shoulder, even after the latest insult I did to it by breaking a stick for the dog. Tuesday morning I'm pulling down the alley on my motorcycle heading to my job in Mission Beach, there were some trucks halfway blocking the alley and some other activity so had to go slower. Hit a rut in the alley and it threw my bike to the right, I had to yank the handlebars or the right to keep from falling.. Needless to say it hurt the shoulder.. again.. So, a couple more semi-sleepless nights and NSAIDS.

This episode with shoulder issues is different than others I've had, so I'm proceeding very cautiously now. Since Tuesday morning I've done nothing but Locomotion work. More than three and a half miles on Tuesday and Wednesday along with a 4 mile run and 2 miles walking this morning.

This afternoon I'll mess around and do a little something for the shoulder, anything I do for it seems to have a good, positive impact and I believe healing is going very well. I just have to keep from hurting it over and over. Making a living doing physical work has some great advantages but this one is definitely a tough one. My plan is to be much more careful about how I conduct day-to-day life regarding use of the shoulder.

Back
Top Bottom