all posts post new thread

Bret S. training log

Thurs 10/7

Rowing, mace, swings, plank, down dog, cobra, hanging, OS rocking.. 30 mins row today.

Fri 10/8

Run/walk with Buddha on the trail, walked for awhile before the run.. we have it down now, he runs easily and cooperates very well ?

Thurs 10/7

Everything was going swimmingly with the shoulder, even after the latest insult I did to it by breaking a stick for the dog. Tuesday morning I'm pulling down the alley on my motorcycle heading to my job in Mission Beach, there were some trucks halfway blocking the alley and some other activity so had to go slower. Hit a rut in the alley and it threw my bike to the right, I had to yank the handlebars or the right to keep from falling.. Needless to say it hurt the shoulder.. again.. So, a couple more semi-sleepless nights and NSAIDS.

This episode with shoulder issues is different than others I've had, so I'm proceeding very cautiously now. Since Tuesday morning I've done nothing but Locomotion work. More than three and a half miles on Tuesday and Wednesday along with a 4 mile run and 2 miles walking this morning.

This afternoon I'll mess around and do a little something for the shoulder, anything I do for it seems to have a good, positive impact and I believe healing is going very well. I just have to keep from hurting it over and over. Making a living doing physical work has some great advantages but this one is definitely a tough one. My plan is to be much more careful about how I conduct day-to-day life regarding use of the shoulder.
Damn, no luck eith your shoulder. Take care.

Mon 10/11

Still having a rough go of it, the shoulder is quite fragile and I really need to be careful. Only got a mile walk in on Saturday, had to ride the Valkyrie up to Orange County for my daughter's birthday party. I was on the road by 10 in the morning had to split traffic for a while going up the 5, then had pretty smooth sailing the rest of the way.
I left about 2 pm and had to split traffic for about 40 miles starting around Camp Pendleton, it lasted well into the Encinitas area. When I got home I had a couple minutes to get ready and take off with Susan for her son's birthday party. Everything turned out pretty well but it was exhausting due to the mental stress and the physical stress of splitting traffic. I run a light truck tire on the back of my motorcycle, they added an extra Lane on the left side of the 5 South as you head toward Oceanside, the pavement where it meets isn't exactly level and it tends to throw the bike around a little bit making things interesting when there's cars on both sides of you. Needless to say it was stressful, but without doing that I would have been at least another 30 minutes on the road getting back and wouldn't have made it on time.

Sunday we did a 4-mile walk run with the doggie, it was pretty nice. After that we kicked back for a few hours, then went down to Mission Bay, we got some sandwiches and hung out for a while. Overall it was a pretty nice weekend.

Drinking alcohol was kept to a minimum, my body is under duress from the shoulder problem and I need to be really careful right now is that more susceptible to injuries and sickness. I'm going to keep carefully navigating until I get more sound stability in the shoulder.

This morning's walk run for two and a half miles with Buddha was pretty good, and my breathing scores were up this morning. Both of those are pretty good signals that things are going in the right direction.

Mon 10/11

Rowing, planks, hangs, rowing curls.
4 mins plank
4 mins hang
4 mins row curls

Going with static and easy movements, drag curls are the first movement I can power a little bit with the shoulder situation. Nibbling on crust around the friggin recovery sandwich.

Tues 10/12

Rowing, 60 mace turns with 22 lb, 60 with 26 lb, down dog, plank, cobra, OS rocks..
Feel like I may be gaining a little traction, took some Aleve last night before bed. Hitting more C, 3 times daily along with niacin and fish oil. Hoping for a little stability in recovery, today was promising after another tweak happened yesterday.
Screenshot 2021-10-12 3.37.45 PM.png

Hang in there brother, you got a lot going on. Btw, that Buddya is one handsome dog.
Thank you, things are beginning to turn around now. I can feel a difference in lower inflammation levels.. finally.

I'll tell Buddha you said he was handsome haha. I agree BTW, pretty much every walk he gets all the chicks fawning all over him.

edit: can't paste emojis since goog did an update on my chromebook.. hmmm

Thurs 10/14
4 mile run with Buddha this morning, nice and crisp 52 degrees when we started out. Now I get to go demo some concrete, woohoo! :/
PM 1 mile walk

Fri 10/15
AM Run/walk 2 1/2 miles, concrete demo, PM 1 mile walk

Sat 10 /16
Run/walk with Susan and Buddha, recorded most of it. Got in 13 miles locomotion the last few days, nice recovery work from the intensity of concrete demo on Thurs and Fri.
PM 1 mile walk
Screenshot 2021-10-16 8.40.01 AM.png

Last edited:
Thurs 10/14
4 mile run with Buddha this morning, nice and crisp 52 degrees when we started out. Now I get to go demo some concrete, woohoo! :/
PM 1 mile walk

Fri 10/15
AM Run/walk 2 1/2 miles, concrete demo, PM 1 mile walk

Sat 10 /16
Run/walk with Susan and Buddha, recorded most of it. Got in 13 miles locomotion the last few days, nice recovery work from the intensity of concrete demo on Thurs and Fri.
PM 1 mile walk
View attachment 15051
Nice distance! That always feels good.

Yes, it's a sweet spot for me where I'm not feeling too spent afterward. I was able to do heavy work after the run, that's much better from a mental health and income standpoint.
I was referring to your total of 13 miles in the past few days, fyi.

Mon 10/18

AM - 2.46 mile ruck in 34 mins @28lb

Felt like.. nothing, recovery from last week is finally picking up pace today, yesterday was expecting to be more recovered yet felt worse than on Sat. Sleep was better last night and breathing scores picked up a bit this morning, seems a good, solid indicator of recovery and overall health of the machine.

Tues 10/19

Early work day today, welders showed up to weld the repair sleeves on the post columns this morning. After setting them up with power and facilities it was burrito time, afterward Buddha and I took a short stroll at Mission Bay in the grass and sand. Ahhhh.. as Matt would say.
Gonna hit some more stuff the afternoon I think.Screenshot 2021-10-19 1.29.02 PM.png

PM
Back for more medicine..

Row 10 mins
10 x 10 2hsw @24k
row 5 min
10NR snatch @ 20k
row 5 min
2 pullup clusters, 12 each doing 3 pullup on the :30 second mark, rest 2 mins and repeat.
row 10 min

T:
30 min row
100 sw
50 sn
24 PU

Mile walk after dinner
Screenshot 2021-10-19 3.46.48 PM.png

Back
Top Bottom