all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Building Constructive Antagonism

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

Jacobcutt

Level 5 Valued Member
I'm interested in how to build strength in muscles antagonistic to the pec minor.

I have 18k, 24k, and 32k kettlebells and a pullup bar.

My pec minor is overly tight, requiring regular massage and stretching to release pain and what I can only guess in borderline impingement. My shoulder blade wings out sometimes as well.

Thoughts, questions, concerns, recommendations?

bent over laterals, pull-aparts, rows of all kinds, (barbell, one arm DB, etc), mantle and doorway stretches, downward dog, shrugs of all kinds (Kelso, overhead, reverse, etc) are all good imho, but scapular control (and posture) are not just about building strength in the ranges of motion - it's also about building the right habits that will endure when sitting at your computer, standing around, or when pressing.

I respect that. I'm fairly self aware, and see in my daily life often forward slumping posture and work to correct it by sitting and standing upright with shoulders back and spine straight.

The Kelso concept looks interesting, as do overhead and hanging scapular work.

Winging shoulder blade is commonly attributed to weak/underused serratus anterior. Essentially you are likely just using your pecs and upper traps to to move your shoulders/arms instead of allowing your shoulder blades to move. You likely need to train more scapular upward rotation. What was suggested above is a good start; I’d also look into serratus slides and scapular push-ups.

Original strength rocking and crawling are popular around here, and can do wonders for shoulder health. Easy to do, and low stress/strain.

Often when I smash the pec minor by laying on a foam roller or kettle bell, I will feel irradiation into the serratus anterior area. It would make sense the over-tight pec pulls on the adjacent muscle groups and causes strain and eventual weakness due to being over powered by the over-engaged pec.

The lower trapezius will also play a crucial role in this process.
I can totally see that. I think that's why I like the look of the Kelso Shrug to get my mind into that dark area and build up some access to those muscles on either side of the spine.

I think I'm going to look at some of Tim Anderson's work. Becoming Bulletproof speaks to me. Alongside that, do some accessory hypertrophy work for the upper back in the form of Kelso Shrug- type movements with the kettlebell and scapular pushups.

Idk, just trying to piece a little plan together that accesses under-developed muscles and knits it all together!

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom