all posts post new thread

Bodyweight Calling all cars.. to anyone who's actually made progress following the Convict Conditioning System

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)

User 7569

Please tell me about your experiences.

I do not mean following a program bending the rules of convict conditioning, I mean someone who has actually followed the system in the book and made meaningful progress in terms of strength gains by following the system that P. Wade outlines. (starting at step 1, doing all the repetitions in the program before moving up, etc.)

other threads about CC:

Convict Conditioning by P. Wade

Thoughts on "Convict Conditioning"

has anyone started at shoulderstand squats and made it to the one legged pistol squat? I kind of don't believe it.

Still, CC is a very good read and P. Wade's views about calisthenics are much different than other people's

I followed CC to the letter for 2 years, I still remember shoulderstand squats, they were awful. I stuck with each progression for at least 6 weeks before moving on, even if I'd reached the standard sooner. I believe the idea of CC is to keep you entertained for years, ie regularly adding something new and getting everything you can out of easier progressions. I imagine this would be great for inmates with little to do, though I'd still rather grease the groove with Naked Warrior. CC2 is my favourite of the 3 books, I bet it could work well with NW (hangs, neck bridges, calf raises & human flags for those that are unfamiliar with CC2).

I am sure it is possible to reach a pistol using those progressions, it's just very slow and missing key details and progressions that will save a large amount of time. I was on step 9 for the pistol squat, push-up, leg-raise & bridge and just step 4 for pull-up and handstand.

I agree that CC is a good read, he sells it very well.

I acquired it at the end of 2015, read it from cover to cover and started following the program to the letter (I even went out and bought a basketball). I managed to make it through all of the exercises I could already do and made no progress once I reached the more challenging variations.

Doing a pistol squat with your non-working leg balanced on top of a basketball is considerably harder than just doing a regular pistol, IMO.

I also find it somewhat bothersome that Paul Wade's standard for the one-arm push up requires it to be performed with the feet together and no bend at the waist. While it's not technically impossible (the working hand would need to be placed directly beneath the sternum) I have never seen anyone actually perform it this way, even in the Convict Conditioning DVDs!

That said, it's an entertaining and inspiring read and would serve well any calisthenics devotee with enough imagination to come up with their own progressions and enough common sense to take the back story with a pinch of salt.

for what its worth when I asked my buddy donald (an older man) to bust out a OAPU, he did the "prison style" pushup

Hello,

Regarding CC 1, I think there are some good stuff in it, especially some progressions: pistol, bridge, HLR.

Otherwise, I think some moves, even if they are possible, are close to "unrealistic" if we do not dedicate years of consistent training: OA HSPU, OAC. A lot of people get injured chasing the OAC (tendinitis) for example. IMO, some "ideas" to get things challenging can even be dangerous, such as the pistol on a ball. For instance, doing a pistol on a PVC pipe (which basically can only go sideways) is already very difficult.

Regarding the OA PU, I agree with @Chrisdavisjr This is almost impossible to avoid leaning, due to physics. Even incredibly strong guys, such as Al and Danny Kavavaldo (for instance) use wide leg stance to maintain balance. By the way, PCC teaches OA PU with wide leg stance.

Programming is...variable. The split he shows can be worth considering, but hitting the 6 too often could lead to overtraining and injury. There is also, IMO, a lack of contents in terms of flexibility / mobility.

If I had to pick up a "true" prison program, I'd choose something like TNW which is more realistic and simple to follow. Otherwise, I could also choose something more "basic" such as "Solitary Fitness" from C. Bronson. Indeed, massive amount of push ups, if you also add some squats, can really give unreal amount of strength. For instance, my BnP, FL, and even OAC are stronger than ever...since I do hundreds of push ups a day on a GTG base.

There are some things to get, and some others to get rid off because there is a lot of marketing on this book.

Kind regards,

Pet'

Last edited:
CC1 accompanied with the "super faq" which was free to download were both excellent. I gained mass from doing high-rep early steps and felt very good. I learned how to do HSPU's for reps. Eventually, however, "unfortunately", my love for Kettlebells and the genius that is S&S prevented me progressing further.

Tl;dr, I chose S&S over CC.

Hello,

Regarding CC 1, I think there are some good stuff in it, especially some progressions: pistol, bridge, HLR.

Otherwise, I think some moves, even if they are possible, are close to "unrealistic" if we do not dedicate years of consistent training: OA HSPU, OAC. A lot of people get injured chasing the OAC (tendinitis) for example. IMO, some "ideas" to get things challenging can even be dangerous, such as the pistol on a ball. For instance, doing a pistol on a PVC pipe (which basically can only go sideways) is already very difficult.

Regarding the OA PU, I agree with @Chrisdavisjr This is almost impossible to avoid leaning, due to physics. Even incredibly strong guys, such as Al and Danny Kavavaldo (for instance) use wide leg stance to maintain balance. By the way, PCC teaches OA PU with wide leg stance.

Programming is...variable. The split he shows can be worth considering, but hitting the 6 too often could lead to overtraining and injury. There is also, IMO, a lack of contents in terms of flexibility / mobility.

If I had to pick up a "true" prison program, I'd choose something like TNW which is more realistic and simple to follow. Otherwise, I could also choose something more "basic" such as "Solitary Fitness" from C. Bronson. Indeed, massive amount of push ups, if you also add some squats, can really give unreal amount of strength. For instance, my BnP, FL, and even OAC are stronger than ever...since I do hundreds of push ups a day on a GTG base.

There are some things to get, and some others to get rid off because there is a lot of marketing on this book.

Kind regards,

Pet'

I love the Johnny Grube video...this video (and all his videos) have been entertaining me since I found that guy. an inspiration in some ways as well...

I've thought about the same thing... if I had to get "super strong in prison" in very little time I would much rather spend endless amounts of time doing GTG rather than working out twice a week on the "new blood" (new fish) program...

Sorry for double posting but IMHO, the Kavadlo brothers evolved the system into something even better, by continuing the core principles ie. progressive difficulty and cutting a few "steps".

CC1 accompanied with the "super faq" which was free to download were both excellent. I gained mass from doing high-rep early steps and felt very good. I learned how to do HSPU's for reps. Eventually, however, "unfortunately", my love for Kettlebells and the genius that is S&S prevented me progressing further.

Tl;dr, I chose S&S over CC.

didn't you find the early steps tedious, or were they more on par with your particular level at the time?

didn't you find the early steps tedious, or were they more on par with your particular level at the time?

For pushups as an example I jumped to step 2 as per the faq advice and my body responded well to it. So, no, it wasn't tedious. My regular pushup numbers increased when I tested them as well.

CC1 accompanied with the "super faq" which was free to download were both excellent.

The Super FAQ does make a big difference and is definitely essential reading for anyone looking to get the most out of CC1 for sure. It would make sense for DD to include the FAQ in future print and digital editions of the book.

Reactions: apa
As a work of fiction it was a good read and it introduced many people to old school progressive calisthenics.

For myself coming from an athletic background I found most of the early progressions way too easy so I just cherry picked all the good parts. Someone without any weight training or any type of strength training under their belt probably would have benefited a lot more than I did from those early progressions in the book.

In a way I started backwards and tested myself on most of the latter progressions, for some of them they seemed within reach but others were way too hard and I had to find a suitable starting point that wouldn't be too easy or too hard.

I made some good gains from the middle level progressions and then I seemed to hit the wall and my results stalled on pretty well all of them. The once a week and one or two sets format just didn't work for me.

It got me interested in progressive gymnastics and I really learned a lot from the book, but now I think there are better approaches to that style of training.

It's a great book and well worth reading but I feel there are better approaches to scaling volume to your own level of training.

Last edited:
Hello,

When it comes to prison training, I think the basics are safest way to go, at least at the beginning: standard squat, push up, sit up, pull up.

Then, as we get stronger, harder variations can be worth considering to get variety, keep interest high, and keep gaining strength. However, I think some moves can be a source of injury: OA chin up for instance. Even the pistol can be tough if we have knee issue.

Daily variations: "hard variation, low reps" or "easy variation, high reps" (rest as needed) can be the key. This is some kind of "double wave" (volume, and intensity). Adding basic flexibility: Trifecta (bridge, LSit, twist hold) and some hip flexibility (front and side split) can be good as well.

IMO, avoiding injury is crucial in jail, and crucial anyway. I guess we could consider the training as "tactical" : being ready anywhere anytime, with moves which transfer immediately to daily life.

Below is an online and readible copy of Charles Bronson's "Solitary Fitness":
Bronson Solitary Fitness

Regarding programming, here the GTG version of C. Bronson:
upload_2017-12-27_18-39-27.png

This is very raw, very basic. However, as someone who currently do a lot of push ups and squats (I mix the variations), this works. Even with high volume, if the form is correct, plus if we rest when we need, it can delivers pretty well.

Kind regards,

Pet'

Last edited:
Hello,

When it comes to prison training, I think the basics are safest way to go, at least at the beginning: standard squat, push up, sit up, pull up.

Then, as we get stronger, harder variations can be worth considering to get variety, keep interest high, and keep gaining strength. However, I think some moves can be a source of injury: OA chin up for instance. Even the pistol can be tough if we have knee issue.

Daily variations: "hard variation, low reps" or "easy variation, high reps" (rest as needed) can be the key. This is some kind of "double wave" (volume, and intensity). Adding basic flexibility: Trifecta (bridge, LSit, twist hold) and some hip flexibility (front and side split) can be good as well.

IMO, avoiding injury is crucial in jail, and crucial anyway. I guess we could consider the training as "tactical" : being ready anywhere anytime, with moves which transfer immediately to daily life.

Below is an online and readible copy of Charles Bronson's "Solitary Fitness":
Bronson Solitary Fitness

Regarding programming, here the GTG version of C. Bronson:
View attachment 4734

This is very raw, very basic. However, as someone who currently do a lot of push ups and squats (I mix the variations), this works. Even with high volume, if the form is correct, plus if we rest when we need, it can delivers pretty well.

Kind regards,

Pet'

I liked that book from a fitness enthusiast's perspective, but found it to be the ravings of a mad man much of the time! Particularly the part about cleansing and working our your "organ"...

A much better thread would have been "if you were incarcerated in an institution of some sort, how would you get jacked"

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello,

@Jak Nieuwenhuis
Sure there are plenty of things to be considered with a [big] pinch of salt. I totally agree with you ! However, there are some things which work.

For instance, if we consider "standard" variations, which can be done with high volume, I daily do 700 push ups + 400 squats + 400 sit ups. I started with much lower figures of course. Figures drastically drop down when I go for harder variation (OAP / OAOL PU, pistol, etc...). It took me months to get there. This is done on a GTG base, done "in addition" of the main routine I do in the morning.

Progression and "slow and steady wins the race" is the key. I never was sore or even tired using GTG. Form has to be correct though. However, I noticed some very positive things:
> My "hard moves" such as Front Lever, Bent Press, Get Up and free. HSPU and so on are stronger than ever
> I get some hypertrophy
> Better conditioning

Of course, I guess this is a combination of a lot of things, such as the "main routine", the nutrition, the lifestyle, age, etc... Nonetheless these "improvements" occurred when I started GTGing more seriously.

That being said, I guess even more significant figures can lead to some kind of "unreal strength", even if I never tested.

If we look for strength / conditioning / regardless the boredom, I think high volume can work to a certain extent. I admit there are some "general rules" regarding the goal:
> Max strength: 1 - 5
> Hypertrophy: 6 - 12
> Strength - endurance: >12
Of course it can vary a little from a person to another.

However, even if the "ultra high rep" is not an optimal strategy for max strength, it can be the only way in certain conditions (no weight, no space, etc...).

Kind regards,

Pet'

Agree that it was a neat book and really brought Calisthenics back in a way but I never liked the progressions or the fantasy of the narrative. I was more taken by the real stuff that Al and later Danny Kavadlo wrote in their books for DD along with Overcoming Gravity by Steven Low.

I can't believe people are still buying into this gimmick tbh. There is no one prison workout. Some prisons have gyms, others don't, and most prisoners aren't following any specific super-duper secret plan handed down generationally.

In my line of work (law enforcement) years ago the pro-tip was you could ID ex-cons on the street by their "lollipop" build...all upper body and skinny legs from doing nothing but bench or push-ups.

And I could be wrong, but I don't think anyone has ever actually performed one of the moves in CC; the one armed handstand push-up (unsupported). CC is decent as a motivating work of fiction, but ime the actual program is mediocre at best. I would stick to programs like Naked Warrior , Fighter Pull-up Program, or Overcoming Gravity.

Hello,

I did not open another thread because this post will also be about prison training.

I did not test it, but it seems this is a pretty good book, as it gets recommendation from Z. Even-Esh, C. Poliquin and M. Furey as well. This book is Jailhouse Strong, from Josh Bryant. It suggest strength & power workouts, with both bodyweight or weight.

BOOKS

Did someone try it ? Does someone have information about it ?

Kind regards,

Pet'

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom