all posts post new thread

Chasing 2 rabbits

Friday February 16, 2024
-Squat: 4x4 128kg/282lbs
-Bench press: 4x4 95kg/210lbs
-Pull-ups: 3x5 +10kg/22lbs

Saturday February 17, 2024
-Stationary bike: 100km

Because of a minor foot injury I couldn't run, so I challenged myself to do 100km liss on the stationary bike. I spent about 4 hours(including breaks for stretching).
Not as hard as it seems. More a mental challenge than a physical one. Also, extremely boring.
That's pretty crazy. The furthest I've gone is about 28 miles in 2 hours on my mountain bike.

Edit: the reason it is important for me may be silly. It is because on these mountains is the village where my father was born and my grandfather and all my ancestors have lived. I was going there for summer holidays when I was a kid, but I never thought that one day I would run on these mountains.
Nothing silly about that. Can I ask where that is?

Edit: the reason it is important for me may be silly. It is because on these mountains is the village where my father was born and my grandfather and all my ancestors have lived. I was going there for summer holidays when I was a kid, but I never thought that one day I would run on these mountains.
That's really cool!

Wednesday February 28, 2024
-Deadlift: 3x3 170kg/374lbs
-Overhead press: 3x3 68kg/150lbs
-Pull ups: 3x5 +10kg/22lbs

Thursday February 29, 2024
-Jogging: 6km
-Intervals 30'' running/30'' walking: 3km

On Sarurday I will try to run/jog/walk 30 kilometers in less than 5 hours. It will be on a flat surface(as there is only flat surface where I live), so it will be nothing compared to the 30km on the mountains, but it is the first time I will run/walk such a distance.
My plan is to jog the first 10km and then alternate running and walking. My average speed must be at least 6km/h.

Friday March 1, 2024
-Day off

Saturday March 2, 2024
-Run/jog/walk: 30km in 04:22:07

That was brutal! I am feeling like having fever(I don't have of course).
The first 15km were so smooth and easy that I believed that running 30km is an easy task.

Then I learned that running 15km is totally different than running 15km after you have already run 15.

My legs are feeling REALLY heavy and sore right now. Even more than doing 10x10 squats.

So, I gave my body a brutal stimulus, now I will give it the time to recover and I hope it will make some good adaptations.

No running until Thursday, just some easy walking. In the gym I will do low volume this week.

During the last 2 months I have run some times 15 km, and it was really easy to recover. Usually, the next day I was totally ok and ready for the new training week.
Running 30 km though, had a totally different effect on my body. I got really sore, not only in muscles I knew I would get sore (like hamstrings and quads), but also in muscles I had no idea they could get sore by running (like traps and shoulders).

My updated plan is to increase the volume and the frequency of easy jogging and walking and have only 2 hard runs per week. One short(6-9km) on Thursday and one long(15-30+km) on Saturday.

As for lifting, I will decrease the volume and the frequency and I will keep the intensity high. Just 2-3 hard sets per week for squat, deadlift, bench press, overhead press, pull-ups and rows. Most probably a reverse pyramid rep scheme, something like 1x4, 1x6, 1x8-10, leaving 1-2 reps in the tank and overloading the weight slowly.

On Saturday, May 4, 2024, I want to be able to run the 30km distance with a 10kg weight vest.

During the last 2 months I have run some times 15 km, and it was really easy to recover. Usually, the next day I was totally ok and ready for the new training week.
Running 30 km though, had a totally different effect on my body. I got really sore, not only in muscles I knew I would get sore (like hamstrings and quads), but also in muscles I had no idea they could get sore by running (like traps and shoulders).

My updated plan is to increase the volume and the frequency of easy jogging and walking and have only 2 hard runs per week. One short(6-9km) on Thursday and one long(15-30+km) on Saturday.

As for lifting, I will decrease the volume and the frequency and I will keep the intensity high. Just 2-3 hard sets per week for squat, deadlift, bench press, overhead press, pull-ups and rows. Most probably a reverse pyramid rep scheme, something like 1x4, 1x6, 1x8-10, leaving 1-2 reps in the tank and overloading the weight slowly.

On Saturday, May 4, 2024, I want to be able to run the 30km distance with a 10kg weight vest.
Nice work! You may want to consider doing a hot/cold contrast. When I'm sore and achy/inflamed, I get a couple big bags of ice and put it in cold bath water. 2-3 minutes in the cold mixed with 2-3 minutes of hot water or even just cold shower mixed with hot shower really helps.

Nice work! You may want to consider doing a hot/cold contrast. When I'm sore and achy/inflamed, I get a couple big bags of ice and put it in cold bath water. 2-3 minutes in the cold mixed with 2-3 minutes of hot water or even just cold shower mixed with hot shower really helps.
I will definitely try it after my next long run.
Thank you for the tip brother!

SF friends, I need your help.
I am a beginner in cardio training, so I want your advice. How do I take a deload week without losing adaptations(Vo2 max, endurance etc)?

When I take a deload week in weight training, I reduce the volume and/or the intensity. But I have no idea how to deload cardio.

Wednesday March 6, 2024
-Bench press: 1x5 95kg/210lbs, 1x7 85kg/187lbs, 1x8 80kg/175lbs
-Barbell row: 1x6 75kg/165lbs, 1x8 68kg/150lbs

Thursday March 7, 2024
-Day off

Friday March 8, 2024
-Deadlift: 1x4 165kg/363lbs, 1x6 150kg/330lbs
-Overhead press: 1x5 65kg/143lbs, 1x7 60kg/132lbs, 1x8 55kg/121lbs

Tomorrow, long run 20km.

Deload is an interesting term for taking a running break. Is it fatigue you need a break from? Joint stress?

Usually on deloads, it’s either volume or intensity that’s reduced (or both). You could do easy jogs for shorter distances in other words.

If your joints need a break, using a different modality of endurance work would be nice ie swimming, biking, rowing.

Walking is always nice.

Back
Top Bottom