all posts post new thread

Chasing 2 rabbits

Deload is an interesting term for taking a running break. Is it fatigue you need a break from? Joint stress?

Usually on deloads, it’s either volume or intensity that’s reduced (or both). You could do easy jogs for shorter distances in other words.

If your joints need a break, using a different modality of endurance work would be nice ie swimming, biking, rowing.

Walking is always nice.
Fatigue is my problem. When I do long runs I feel tired for some days after.

I thought that running would be stressful for my joints, as I am a heavy lifter who wasn't used to run, but this is not the case. I guess that all these years of lifting made my joints able to endure almost anything.

Fatigue on the other hand, is a real problem, as I said. Some days I even wake up tired.

Yes, my "deload" weeks will be walking, bike liss and some short runs.

Thank you friend.

Monday March 11, 2024
-Squat: 1x5 136kg/300lbs, 1x7 123kg/270lbs
-Pull-ups: 1x7 (+)10kg/22lbs, 1x9 bw
-Barbell bicep curls: 1x7 36kg/80lbs, 1x9 32kg/70lbs

Tuesday March 12, 2024
-Stationary bike: tabata 20''-10'' 4 minutes x 3
-Step-ups: tabata 20''-10'' 4 minutes x 3
-Sprints: emom 10''-15'' sprinting/ 45''-50'' rest x 15 minutes

Monday March 18, 2024
-Squat: 1x6 136kg/300lbs, 1x8 123kg/270lbs
-Pull-ups: 1x7 (+)10kg/22lbs, 1x9 bw
-Barbell bicep curls: 1x4 40kg/88lbs, 1x7 36kg/80lbs

Tuesday March 19, 2024
-Off day

Another out of the schedule off day. I skipped my running workout, which was really stupid. There are some non-gym issues right now which are mentally exhausting. But, this must be the last time I use these issues as an excuse to be a lazy b*tch.

Another out of the schedule off day. I skipped my running workout, which was really stupid. There are some non-gym issues right now which are mentally exhausting. But, this must be the last time I use these issues as an excuse to be a lazy b*tch.
I don't know how old you are... but I've found, particular as I've gotten older, getting angry at myself over my mental/physical state usually doesn't work out well for me. I very much doubt you're in much danger of getting lazy.

I don't know how old you are... but I've found, particular as I've gotten older, getting angry at myself over my mental/physical state usually doesn't work out well for me. I very much doubt you're in much danger of getting lazy.
I am 35, not really old, but also not really young :)

It is my thing to be angry at myself when I do not perform as I would like to, which helps to achieve some things, but is also not really healthy.

Now there are, suddenly, some really stressful situations in my life and this "mental overload" is exhausting.

Yesterday I knew that I absolutely had to train, but I was lethargic and I let my inner b*tch win :p

Thank you for your answer, I appreciate your advice.

I am 35, not really old, but also not really young :)

It is my thing to be angry at myself when I do not perform as I would like to, which helps to achieve some things, but is also not really healthy.

Now there are, suddenly, some really stressful situations in my life and this "mental overload" is exhausting.

Yesterday I knew that I absolutely had to train, but I was lethargic and I let my inner b*tch win :p

Thank you for your answer, I appreciate your advice.
Unless it means you being on the streets with no food for teh gainz or something just put off all everything else and concentrate fully on training and recovery. If there's people that are stressing you out, well there's way to take care of that too. Eat sleep s*** train and kill whatever gets in the way of that. If you find yourself with nothing else and mentally imbalanced or even homicidal, well at least you still have whats most important and if you're big enough you can bully others into giving you what you want/need.

Fortunately, nobody bullies me. I am a big guy -in comparison with a normal person of course- and my experience is that nobody tries to bully the "big" guy, even if he has the power to do so(for example he is your supervisor at work). Maybe the science of evolutionary biology could explain why nobody tries to bully a bigger man :p

The most stressful situation in my life right now are some very bad news from the vet about my dog's health. And this creates a vicious cycle: stress keeps you awake at night, sleep deprivation makes you more stressed etc.
But, we have to accept life as it is, not as we would like it to be. So, I won't let this stress affect my performance in work, or in training.

Wednesday March 20, 2024
-Bench press: 1x6 95kg/210lbs, 1x8 85kg/187lbs, 1x10 80kg/175lbs
-Chin-ups: 1x10(+)10kg/22lbs, 1x11 bw

Thursday March 21, 2024
-Jogging: 9km

This is the place where I run. Not as beautiful as the places that @blutsj posts, but I like running there.

This is where I started running, when I was in high school, almost 20 years ago.
I also ran there while training to join the marines in 2013.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2024-03-20-13-18-06-154_com.miui.gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_2024-03-20-13-18-06-154_com.miui.gallery.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 11
Saturday March 23, 2024
-Running 3km

Monday March 25, 2024
-Squat: 1x5 105kg/230lbs, 1x5 115kg/253lbs, 1x3 130kg/285lbs, 3x1(3 singles) 140kg/310lbs
-Pull-ups: 1x5 bw, 1x5 +10kg/22lbs, 1x5 +15kg/33lbs

As I am pushing(or I was at least)my cardio training, I was doing really random sh*t in the weight room(as you can see in my recent training sessions). But, despite the fact that I have this race on June, I am mostly a lifter and definitely not a runner, so I decided to do a structured weight routine.

I had always the best results with SF style high frequency routines, like pttp. I think I had the best results of my life, in terms of strength gains, with a routine which was something between easy strength and mind over muscle. I was doing 5 multijoint exercises, 5 days per week, for 1 set of 5 each. The weight was anything between 30% and 80% 1rm. Most of the times it was around 70%, but there were definitely days of 80% and there were also recovery days of 30%, 50%, 60%.

So my first thought was to do that. But the fact that I need to do high volume cardio and that I want to do that cardio on separate days from weights, made it impossible. So, I decided to do a good old-school linear periodization routine, with each big compound lift once per week.

Something like this:

Week 1: 3x10 70%
Week 2: 4x10 70%
Week 3: 5x10 70%
Week 4: 3x8 75%
Week 5: 4x8 75%
Week 6: 5x8 75%
Week 7: 3x5 80%
Week 6: 4x5 80%
Week 7: 5x5 80%
Week 8: 3x3 85%
Week 9: 3x2 90%
Week 10: max effort single

If needed I will be doing a deload week(3x5 50%) every 4-5 weeks.

Last edited:
Saturday March 30, 2024
-Running: 9km
-Walking: 4km

My mother was diagnosed with clogged carotid artery and the doctor prescribed her (besides medication and diet changes) daily walking.

So, my new daily task is to drive to my parents house(15 km from mine, not really far) and taking her for a walk, as, I know it is the only way that she will do it.

At least, this is an opportunity for me to do more cardio:p

I processed a little bit the training plan I want to follow and the final draft is this:
For the 4 big compound barbell lifts(sq, dl. bench, ohp) I will be doing a basic periodization based on prilepin's chart (3x6 70%, 3x5 75%, 3x4 80%, 3x3 85%) repeatedly for 12 weeks. After 12 weeks I will do max effort singles, in order to increase the max(and the percentages of it).

After The upper body lifts(bench and OHP) I will be doing the dumbbell version of the exercise, emom for as much time as needed to accumulate the volume I want. About 60-80 reps.
So, the weekly plan is like this:

VERSION 1
Monday
-Squat: 3x6, 3x5, 3x4, 3x3
-Pull-ups: emom until 60 reps

Wednesday
-Bench: 3x6, 3x5, 3x4, 3x3
-Incline dumbbell bench: emom until 60 reps
-Chin ups: emom until 60 reps

Friday
-Deadlift: 3x6, 3x5, 3x4, 3x3
-OHP: 3x6, 3x5, 3x4, 3x3