A1) Jump x 3,3,3
A2) Squat
56 kgs - LB x 5, HB x 5, FS x 3, OHS x 3
105 kgs - LB x 5
125 kgs - LB x 3,3, 10
A3) Worlds Greatest Stretch

B1) Dips x 10,10,10
B2) BW Rows x 15,15,10

Hit my squat goal of the day. Depth could be better. I’d give myself a 50/50 chance of white lights, not that I’m competing any time soon. I have a plethora of excuses for my lack of depth I.e. no mobility work, it’s zero degrees outside, the grounds rocky yada, yada. It’s not high but it’s not deep. Dropped the volume and load on accessory stuff. Seems like a good week to do so. Interestingly after the close grip bench work, my chest is still the main sore muscle group. I’m wondering if some actual tricep work would make a difference.

Main squat set

Ahhh. What kind of tear? Suprispinatus??? Benching narrow is widely accepted as safer. I just find the shoulder flexion demands more pain inducing then shoulder abduction. In my case, the closer the elbows are to my shoulders on the extension, flexion plane, the less my shoulders protest. Sorry to hear of your tear. Did you get surgery? What became of it. My BTN press is a pretty similar width to my regular press. Oddly, these cause me no issue but I must beware of lower below nose level. My shoulders are an oddity...
I don't know exact term, but rotator cuff on left side. I was doing forced reps on a cable press machine, stupidly. I'd have never even tried that w/ bbell. I always bnp's fairly wide. Later had more serious rot cuff surgery on on rside plus torn bicep tendon. Both were done by a great surgeon. Never regretted it.(edit); forget to post this reply

Day 2 Squat

A1) Jump x 3,3,3
A2) Squat
56 kgs - LB x 5, HB x 5, FS x 3, OHS x 3
105 kgs - LB x 5
125 kgs - LB x 3,3, 10
A3) Worlds Greatest Stretch

B1) Dips x 10,10,10
B2) BW Rows x 15,15,10

Hit my squat goal of the day. Depth could be better. I’d give myself a 50/50 chance of white lights, not that I’m competing any time soon. I have a plethora of excuses for my lack of depth I.e. no mobility work, it’s zero degrees outside, the grounds rocky yada, yada. It’s not high but it’s not deep. Dropped the volume and load on accessory stuff. Seems like a good week to do so. Interestingly after the close grip bench work, my chest is still the main sore muscle group. I’m wondering if some actual tricep work would make a difference.

Main squat set

Hey, every rep looked parallel to me, nothing wrong with that. That barbell looks like something from a Transformers movie.

Last edited:
Since I’ve hit some good Pr’s as of late, I’ve decided to cash my chips for this cycle and quit while I’m ahead. My body needs a break so a week of contrasting a la Charles Staley is in order before hitting heavy weights again

During this time, there will be no barbell work. Bands, mobility, and reset like exercises are employed.

Welcomed training is - band work, crawling, unilateral work, light calisthenics “health exercises”

For my day 1 I did a mobility warmup and Max Shanks flow exercises followed by this superset.

A1) Band face pulls, rows
A2) Crawl
A3) Renegade lunges

B1) Palloff Press
B2) dead bugs
B3) hack squats

Stretches

So easy work with the goal of restoring tissue length, recovery (mental + physical) and re balancing the body. This is only a week long before barbell work returns.

I've begun to devise the plan for my up and coming cycle. I will make the move from four total body workouts (generalized strength) to a specialized approach to enhance the four barbell lifts. After consideration of my resources and time, my progression plan is based off of satic weights and "mastery" of higher weights by using the same on the same weight for four weeks, gradually increasing the reps per set with the same volume.

Luckily, the plates I have available all allow a rough 5RM starting weight fr the following lifts.

Estimated 5 Rm
Floor Press - 105 kgs (tested)
Squat- 135 kgs (estimated off 125 10RM)
Push Press - 75 kgs (estimated off previous Push press work)
Deadlift - 175 kgs ( estimated off 156 10RM)

The progression will go as planned
Week Main lift
1) 3 x 5 sets w 5rm
2) 4 x4 sets w 5rm
3) 5 x 3 sets w 5rm
4) 6 x 2 sets w 5rm
5) Rep test w/ old 5rm

I have goals for each lift and the main lift will take up the bulk of the workouts, followed by an accessory and suppemental lift then additional light work i.e. bands and ab work.

Here are the planned workouts

Day 1 Floor press
A) Floor Press progression
B) CG paused floor press (supplemental) 2 sets of 6-12
C) Incline Plate Press (accesory) 2 sets of 6-12 reps
D) band work (reverse flies, face pulls, tricep extensions)

Day 2 Squat
A) Low Bar Squat progression
B) High Bar paused Squat
C) Reverse Lunge
D) Ab work (dead bugs, palloff press)

Day 3 Overhead
A) Push Press progression
B) 1 + 1.5 Press
C) Standing Plate Press
D) Band Work (same as Day 1 but different exercises)

Day 4 Pull
A) Deadlift Progression
B) Elevated RDL's
C) One Arm Rows
D) Ab Work (Hand Walkouts, Wood Chops)

Though the push press is included, it is to help my press, which unfortunately cannot be loaded properly due to my plate limitations. (Going from 55 kgs to 75 kgs in a press is pretty big jump and my goal is o press 75 kgs by the end, my bodyweight). However, I think holding the 75 kgs often will assist in reaching this goal and the press it still trained, albeit after that PP and with 1 + 1.5 reps to give the bottom double the training. (Press to forehead, pause (sticking point) lower and do a full press)/ Thus, it is trained in it's entirety. The accessory lifts are all unilateral and I'll do my one arm rows without bench support to accommodate for the lighter weight and get a little more rotational stability. The band work will give me more pulling without extra fatigue to keep my shoulders in check and upper back strong. The plan is based loosely off CT's "power look Program" and milking the weight idea, and it seems to fit logically within my circumstances. I look forward to initiating this plan and the end results! I will begin this Friday.

Day 1

A1) Floor Press - 105 kgs x 3 x 5 sets
B1) CG Floor Press w pause - 75 kgs x 6,5
C1) Incline Plate Press - 26 kgs x 8 x 2 sets
D1) Band Series (Face pulls, throat pulls, rows) x 3 sets

First day back and went about how I expected. The movement is fresh and a bit uncoordinated, as I somewhat expected. This is good. I haven’t trained the main variation in a month so it makes sense it feels weird. I think this is good as progress will return quickly as the coordination returns and the strength from previous training is reintegrated.

It’s a totally different mindset to do multiple sets instead of one top set. I prefer the top set but this will be good for me and initiate a different learning/growing phase. Also, doing one pattern a day will elicit another training response. My training doesn’t vary as far as exercises and reps go. But the organization is manipulated. I expect squats will still be fresh as I did them quite recently.

Floor press set 3 and 4 shown. A little shaky uncoordinated but will improve.

CG Pause set. Pausing needs work.

Day 1

A1) Floor Press - 105 kgs x 3 x 5 sets
B1) CG Floor Press w pause - 75 kgs x 6,5
C1) Incline Plate Press - 26 kgs x 8 x 2 sets
D1) Band Series (Face pulls, throat pulls, rows) x 3 sets

First day back and went about how I expected. The movement is fresh and a bit uncoordinated, as I somewhat expected. This is good. I haven’t trained the main variation in a month so it makes sense it feels weird. I think this is good as progress will return quickly as the coordination returns and the strength from previous training is reintegrated.

It’s a totally different mindset to do multiple sets instead of one top set. I prefer the top set but this will be good for me and initiate a different learning/growing phase. Also, doing one pattern a day will elicit another training response. My training doesn’t vary as far as exercises and reps go. But the organization is manipulated. I expect squats will still be fresh as I did them quite recently.

Floor press set 3 and 4 shown. A little shaky uncoordinated but will improve.

CG Pause set. Pausing needs work.

Nice work man!

Day 2 Squat

A) Squat - 135 kgs x 3 x 3 sets
B) HB Squat (paused) - 104 kgs x 6 x 2 sets
C) Zercher reverse lunge - 52 kgs x 6 x 2 sets

This is what the park looked like upon arrival.

After barely making it to the park without kissing the slick icy ground, I was having serious doubts about the direction of my life. The ground was slick and icy, as was the bar. The setup spot and warmups had my right foot severely lacking traction and I slipped a few times unracking and re-racking the bar. Talk about chaos, stability training. Every set, the fear was present. My first set was nearly chaos. Never mind that this was the highest weight I’ve loaded this hardly stable, secure and straight bar, but any mere movement of my feet and I’d be a goner.

Tge first set, my right foot lost traction on the ascent of the last rep. The bar shifted, windmilling and I nearly lost it. By some miracle, I completed the by then illegal rep due to raising, lowering and dropping again. The next sets went better, thankfully. I clawed and dug into the ground before each set. Each descent was super slow because of my trepidation. I called it at three sets. It’s not too bad, I aimed for five but I was just lucky to not have an accident. Maybe I’ll keep it at three sets for squats and add a rep each week. Honestly, all that matters is that I teach my end cycle rep PR goal...and survive.

Very close to disaster set

This was better

Day 2 Squat

A) Squat - 135 kgs x 3 x 3 sets
B) HB Squat (paused) - 104 kgs x 6 x 2 sets
C) Zercher reverse lunge - 52 kgs x 6 x 2 sets

This is what the park looked like upon arrival.

After barely making it to the park without kissing the slick icy ground, I was having serious doubts about the direction of my life. The ground was slick and icy, as was the bar. The setup spot and warmups had my right foot severely lacking traction and I slipped a few times unracking and re-racking the bar. Talk about chaos, stability training. Every set, the fear was present. My first set was nearly chaos. Never mind that this was the highest weight I’ve loaded this hardly stable, secure and straight bar, but any mere movement of my feet and I’d be a goner.

Tge first set, my right foot lost traction on the ascent of the last rep. The bar shifted, windmilling and I nearly lost it. By some miracle, I completed the by then illegal rep due to raising, lowering and dropping again. The next sets went better, thankfully. I clawed and dug into the ground before each set. Each descent was super slow because of my trepidation. I called it at three sets. It’s not too bad, I aimed for five but I was just lucky to not have an accident. Maybe I’ll keep it at three sets for squats and add a rep each week. Honestly, all that matters is that I teach my end cycle rep PR goal...and survive.

Very close to disaster set

This was better

Hey maybe carry a bucket of kitty litter along, or get one of those snow traction pads they sell for emergencies when your car gets stuck. Those things really dig in. Or look for shelter(from Capt. Obvious). No sense risking a bar landing on top of you on the ice.(edit): When the Zombie Apocalypse comes, I want you on my side.

Hey maybe carry a bucket of kitty litter along, or get one of those snow traction pads they sell for emergencies when your car gets stuck. Those things really dig in. Or look for shelter(from Capt. Obvious). No sense risking a bar landing on top of you on the ice.(edit): When the Zombie Apocalypse comes, I want you on my side.
You know, I actually do have kitty litter! Might consider it! This was the first snowfall I’ve experienced in my time in Paris. Tbh it was quite pretty. By yes, I need a game plan for next time.

Day 3 REST

Day 4 Overhead
A) Push Press - 75 kgs x 3 x 5 sets
B) 1/1.5 CG Press - 52 kgs x 3,3,3
C) Single arm plate Press - 26 kgs x 6 x 2 sets

Wondering if my elbow position is correct on the PP. Feels right, but something to look into. CG Press is hard, the 1/1.5 presses make it pretty difficult. Also start the bar a bit lower on these to get a little extra ROM. Triceps are feeling it. My left arm is weaker on the single plate presses. Offers some great stability work. Am feeling my right oblique is also not as strong as my left, as I tend to carry plates and most things with my right arm. Plus, the plate is tricky to stabilize. Forgot my band, so I’ll probably just do that work at home like I did my abs on squat/snow day.

PP

1/1.5 reps

A clean before each set is nice, though my legs and back are still fatigued from squats. Hope these groups are ready for deadlifts by tomorrow.

Back
Top Bottom