all posts post new thread

5/3/1 - Back from the Dead(lift)

I've been awfully pre-occupied with school/business as of late. I'll spare the details but suffice it to say, after weeks of exhaustion, boredom, I decided to take a break from the barbell. I did an intensive yoga session and fell into a deep blissful slumber, the best I had in weeks. I woke up, rejuvenated, revived. I like feeling this way. My joints felt greased, energy level higher and a more propense desire to move and do things.

Since then, I will work with Calisthenics for a while. My hip was bothering during barbell Squats, so focus towards this will be of benefit upon returns to squatting, which probably won't be that far off. Today I did a simple session.

A1) Chins Bw x 5, 13 kgs x 3, 26 kgs x 3
A2) Dips BW x 5, 26 kgs x 5, 40 kgs x 3
A3) Pistols BW x 3, 13 kgs x 3, 26 kgs x 2R/2L

At home, I've been doing stretches of various types/mobility drills and other calisthenics. I'm back to doing OAP practice and pushups/squat reps a la the style of "Joint reinforcement". I.e.e not blood and gut reps, more GTG higher rep sets today was.

Squats-3 x 30-50 reps
Pushups 3 x 15-20 reps

I don't count reps. Just stop before fatiuge sets in. These are mostly just to oil the patterns so they're smooth, stopping at the bottom of every rep, and locking each completely.

The idea of "warming up" throughout the day appeals to me. I'll be doing much more frequency (several mini sessions throughout the day). Of either stretching/mobility or strength/conditioning work. My strength session was good, but brief as I had classes to run tto, and done in the iced over Luxembourg Garden, followed by a nice 45 minute walk to campus. Walking, will also be more prominent. For now, I'd like to train but keep my physical energy levels higher and body more functional and alert like, and nudge along progress, so to speak. These are now more general capacities and not so unique to barbell work but I have no doubt theywill have positive transfer, if not immediately, but by keeping my body healthy and moving proper and strengthened , reset and reinforced for later heavier work.

I have been doing this with my practice, and have seen some pretty good gains. Tired=less work, energetic=more work. Simple.
Yes, I think it’s healthier this way, almost as if the sets just an indicator. I like the idea of my body being capable, often, so the performance and effect trumped numbers rn, though, in time, I’m sure I’ll want to test my mettle.

Just as an idea, maybe try the ultra minimalistic approach like Marty Gallagher talks about. For example, train once a week, do just a single top set of a squat and a press. Minimal volume, plenty of time for yoga and the like. Maybe you would even progress on the lifts you selected.

L
Just as an idea, maybe try the ultra minimalistic approach like Marty Gallagher talks about. For example, train once a week, do just a single top set of a squat and a press. Minimal volume, plenty of time for yoga and the like. Maybe you would even progress on the lifts you selected.
i had something like this in mind, actually for squatting. As of now, I’m still incorporating weights...as in loaded pistols, dips and other movements that don’t require a bar.

The last time I did my Calisthenics escapade, all my barbell lifts felt amazing and improved...save for squats, initially anyways

I think it’s also a mental break and time saver. Stress has been abundant with finances, residency statuses, calculus (my god, why am I in calculus??) and the stress of the barbell is just not desirable right now.

L

i had something like this in mind, actually for squatting. As of now, I’m still incorporating weights...as in loaded pistols, dips and other movements that don’t require a bar.

The last time I did my Calisthenics escapade, all my barbell lifts felt amazing and improved...save for squats, initially anyways

I think it’s also a mental break and time saver. Stress has been abundant with finances, residency statuses, calculus (my god, why am I in calculus??) and the stress of the barbell is just not desirable right now.
Not laughing at your stressors, except maybe for "why am I in calculus?"

Day 2

Strength Session
A1) One Arm lockouts x 1 x 5 sets
A2) OAP x 1,1,3,2,1
A3) Deep sissy squats x 1,1,1,1,1

Pull-ups, Dips, BW Squat x 100 x 1 set

Miscellaneous
Further OAP practice, stretching

I’m beginning to embrace the ugliness that is my right arm OAP. It’s definitely no work of art...Pollock though maybe? Lockouts felt good until I started lowering, nearly no control past 90 degrees. We can work with that.

Pull-up abilities aren’t quite pathetic, in the rep department. Ten reps was hard, and they plummeted quick! More frequency, less reps.

One Arm Pollocks

One arm lockouts

Better right hand form/control, band assisted,

5 Rounds
A1) O.A.S. - 26kgs x 3L/3R
A2) O.AP. (elevates) 1R/1L
A3) Chin-up - 26 kgs x 1

B1) Single Leg DL - 2 x 26 kgs x 5,5
B2) Hindu Pushups x 3,3

C1) Dips x 25, 15
C2) Bw Rows x 15,10

strength circuit freshener. Not long rests between sets, maybe 30 seconds continuously. Felt good, nailed 2 chins on last set.

Single leg deads off bench for extra ROM. Some light work for shoulders, stopping just before fatigue/form breakdown/pause occurs.

This will be me in a year or two ?
I hope to get into PT school in the future and they look for it. Probably calculus-based physics too......
It’s actually not so bad...it’s mostly the language and superfluous wording of theorems, symbols, and derivatives, I’ve reached my limit at exponential rates of change, while x is malfunctioning and y am I doing this again? The other think about calc is it can be so triggering I guess I should see it as a sin, my next vacation I’m going somewhere where I’ll get a tan but I’ll need someone to cos my lease by then

Day Sideways 8

A1) Clean and Press
56 kgs x 5 plus two ladders of 1,2,3, 1 set 10
A2) Chin-ups
10 x 3 sets

later that day
A1) OAP
A2) Deadlifts 156 kgs x 1, 180 kgs x 1 x 2 sets

I moved yesterday and now I’m staying right near the park with the barbell, alas, my training adjusts. Haven’t actually pulled 180 + on deads in a while because the means have been so limited.

Chins felt strongest today, OHP with the bar is still a pain, as is every lift with the barbell. The ground here is crummy, unlike Luxembourg, so body weight training is not as inviting.

It’s actually not so bad...it’s mostly the language and superfluous wording of theorems, symbols, and derivatives, I’ve reached my limit at exponential rates of change, while x is malfunctioning and y am I doing this again? The other think about calc is it can be so triggering I guess I should see it as a sin, my next vacation I’m going somewhere where I’ll get a tan but I’ll need someone to cos my lease by then
Cue drum roll....cymbal splash!

On the day of Today,

a lot of GTG today. Did pistols off different objects and OAP practice on benches with 1 leg or regulars as well. Found some things that actually helped. Only sets/reps counted of what I did today are below

Pull-ups - 10 x 6 sets (throughout the day)
Zercher Squats- 3 x 3 @ 125 kgs

Pull-ups feel great right now. No set was really near fatigue. The groove felt smooth.

Saturday

A1) Box Jump x 2,2,2,2
A2) Dip
BW x 5, 12 kgs x 4, 26 kgs x 3, 38 kgs x 2, 52 kgs x 1
A3) Chinups
BW x 5, 12 kgs x 4, 26 kgs x 3, 38 kgs x 1

My “spring” has come early. I feel my hips are developing, the “box”, was a ledge pretty high. Initially wanted to do 5,4,3,2,1 reps but the first chum at 38 kgs felt heavy enough. The dip also felt quite heavy and is a pain to get onto the bars with such fat plates and the dip bars are high here. Saturday ended up being very eventful day and I didn’t sleep at all that night or Sunday because what happens in Paris...

Sunday REST and 20 k steps walking to/up MontMartre, a blonde beer, then to the Louvre and Tuileries then back home. Didn’t sleep much Sunday night either.

Monday
A1) Front Squat 105 kgs x 3 x 3
B1) Chinups x 10,10,10
B2) Pushups x 20,15,15

Tired and my oblique on left side has felt stiff since heavy deadlifts, an odd phenomenon that’s never quite happened. Light repetition work for upper body, should’ve done some more explosive work to get my energy back but wanted to do some heavy leg work.

Front Squats were not bad for not doing them for a while. Not going for a Pr or anything, just that workmans

Tuesday

warmup-flow mobility

A1) Tuck planche Holds 5 x 8 seconds
A2) One Arm Chin Locks x 5
B1) Tuck planche pushup x 1 x 6 sets
B2) Assisted OAC (middle finger) 3L/3R x 3 sets
C1) Renegade lunges- 5R/5L x 2 sets
C2) OAS - 26 kgs x 10 x 2 sets

Addendum-OAP GTG

Sone static strength work today for upper body. Easy on the ol spinal column. Haven’t done planche stuff in a while, it’s not far from where I’ve left it. Seems harder on the bars, with my long arms/legs and short torso, wonder how far progression is even possible. Sometimes gives the wrists and elbows some dread. The Lockoffs seemed to counter this. Biceps work always helps my elbows. The tucked pushups are pretty hard to keep the body in position on and I teeter at the top.

Lower body a little stiff from front squats, so just some mobility and swings to rejuvenate the area. Some good OAP practice as well.

Tuck planche holds

OAC LOCKS

Tuck planche PU

OA/OL PU(bench)

DEAD OAP

Back
Top Bottom