Cossack squat weight thoughts

sizzlefuzz

More than 500 posts
Hi all,

I have been using the Cossacks more often and I have noticed my pancake and splits progress accelerating because of it. My question is how heavy should I be looking to go? I have been using 16 or 20kgs lately and alternating it with Jefferson curls for 3 sets of 5 each.

Personally, I'm having a hard time thinking about going heavier than 20-24kgs on the Cossack, and I haven't been able to find information saying that's either a good or bad idea.

Thanks!

Steve W.

Quadruple-Digit Post Count
I don't think the weight for cossack squats has much correlation with their effectiveness. It's mainly a mobility drill, rather than a strength drill, and the weight serves more as a counterbalance than as resistance.

I wouldn't worry about pushing the weight higher (although there's no reason not use more weight if it feels good). You also might think about mixing in a lighter weight or no weight at all (just like how a bodyweight pistol is a different kind of challenge than a weighted pistol). A nice variation is to do cossacks with a Jump Stretch band looped around the hips and anchored to a power rack or doorknob. The band pulls your hips forward and allows an upright posture, but has a very different feel than using a counterweight.

Pavel Macek

More than 2500 posts
Master Certified Instructor
Don't be afraid of gradually increasing the weight - there is no reason why you could not go progressively heavier. Cossacks rock!

Steve Freides

Forum Administrator
Staff member
Senior Certified Instructor
Top Bottom