all posts post new thread

CRAWLING CLUB (group log for crawling practice!)

This morning finally I reached my 10 minutes nonstop leopard crawling goal, nasal breathing. The hardest part was to mentally push from the 5th minute to the 7th, then my body did his job. Interesting experience. Feeling calm, relaxed and satisfied now.
Awesome, nice work! What type of benefits have you gotten from crawling so far?

Awesome, nice work! What type of benefits have you gotten from crawling so far?
Thank you. Since I joined this thread I lost 2,5 kg skinny fat. My shoulders and my hips are more stable connected to my core during rotational and saggital movements in front direction. My cardiovascular endurance is better. The urge to breathe through the mouth during activities is reduced. It seems to be a great conditioning tool if someone is limited in time and equipment.
My posterior chain, grip and pulling muscles did not profit. Focus was on crawling. I tried to balance this out by back bridges, inverted bodyweight row hangs, neurogrip planks or Romanian deadlifts, KB carries, active/loaded stretching but played only around with these, didn’t follow a strict protocol. I tried to keep the main thing the main thing (crawling).
I wouldn‘t recommend crawling as a stand-alone tool, but in combination with one or two other main exercises it seems to be great.
Not sure about long term health issues in the knees, writs and elbows.
I lost strength in my regular training exercises, which I paused during this experiment. ( I did one set to muscular failure 2 times a week for 7 main exercises, which was very exhausting and I found no good way for me to combine this with crawling as my new leading exercise ).
I feel better conditioned now, my work capacity went up, my resting heart rate is under 60/min and my breathing frequency is reduced too.

Today:
1x 10 minutes leopard crawling. Still a mental challenge every time. Then yielding Isometrics in deep (loaded stretching) position, tensing the muscles actively.
Lunges 1x2 minutes left, then right (front foot on yoga block), push up on knuckles 1x1 min (on yoga block), row hang 1x2 min, BW romanian deadlift variation 1x 2 min, BW windmill 1x 1 min left, then right.
Dropped the Deadlifts, curls and presses, since I recognized beginning irritations in the knees and elbows.

Last edited:
Yesterday was my first “actual” training session since I tested positive for Covid last week. I got in my 5 minutes of crawling and some other stuff. Didn’t get through everything I had planned due to energy dropping but it was nice to train again.

Yesterday: OS Resets: 10 minutes head nod variations, 5 minutes rocking, 5 minutes standing cross crawls, 5minutes alternating SLDLs.
Today: 1x5 minutes leopard prone cross crawls, 1x5 minutes leopard axis crawling, 1x10 minutes leopard crawling

Yesterday BW Isometric holds, actively pulling into stretched position: lunge 3x90sec, PU 3x45sec, row hang 3x90sec, BW RDL 2x90sec, mill 1x90sec.
Today OS: Leopard prone cross crawls 1x5min, rocking on knees 1x5min, leopard crawling with minibands around wrists and ankles 5x1min.

Yesterday BW Isometric holds, actively pulling into stretched position: lunge 3x90sec, PU 3x45sec, row hang 3x90sec, BW RDL 2x90sec, mill 1x90sec.
Today OS: Leopard prone cross crawls 1x5min, rocking on knees 1x5min, leopard crawling with minibands around wrists and ankles 5x1min.
are you doing the isometrics a la Jay Schroeder's extreme isometrics? There was a whole extended thread here about those a while back. Even if that's not where you got the idea, how are they treating you?

are you doing the isometrics a la Jay Schroeder's extreme isometrics? There was a whole extended thread here about those a while back. Even if that's not where you got the idea, how are they treating you?
I played around with isometrics since my elbows get often lateral tendonitis from bending them repetitive under load since 7 years (I’m 40 years old). I did a lot of overcoming isometrics in mid position to muscular failure (1 set, 60-90 seconds, ramping up the intensity every 20-30 seconds). I also did a lot of BW static (yielding) holds in mid position. I felt good, but a little stiff (like a board with joints(?)). I incoorperated OS and crawling since 3 years into my training template, but I got no mobility benefits. During crawling my anterior chain/pressing chain were flexed, so my chest, front delts , triceps and especially my hip flexors got stronger but seemed to shorten. Since I incooperated the static holds in the stretched position, my flexibility, stability, strength over the full range of motion seems to profit, my joints feel better. My recovery time is better too, can do my training (primarily OS and static holds) almost daily with higher intensity, but feeling fresh and ready 30 minutes afterwards. But even with poor / low protein diet I make progress this way, I feel surprisingly fit. But this is just my experience, everybody has to find his own way.

If someone wants to read / see / hear something about extreme Isometrics or quasi Eccentric isometrics I recommend to have a look at:

Why the Extreme ISO Lunge Should Be in Your Training Arsenal

Erfahrungsbericht ISO Extrem Hold Training nach Jay Schroeder (In German)

Coach Christian Thibaudeau, 4 parts:

Dr. Mark Wetzel: Unpacking Extreme Isometrics, Super Slow Training and Effective CNS Training - Just Fly Sports (he made 3 other podcasts about extreme Isometrics)

Peter Tzemis „Anabolic Streching 2.0“ .He discribes Exercises with weights, but also different training principles for different benefits, which could be adapted to BW variations.

Slow motion BW Isometrics:

Pavels slow twich articles on this board

Drew Baye „Poject Kratos“ (BW HIT)

(this guy made a good video with Steve Maxwell, and some other with isometrics, crawling, breathing and superslow BW workouts, with minimal equipment.

John Little „Time Savers Workout“ (an abbreviated approach, BW, weights, or machines. Three exercises, one set, one rep, once a week, high intensity)

Ellington Darden „30-30-30“ (One rep: 30sec negative, 30 sec positive, 30 sec negative, 8 main exercises, BW, weights or machines)

Steve Maxwell „2 minutes 1 rep“

Overcoming Isometrics:
Matt Schifferle „Overcoming Isometrics“
Drew Baye „Timed Static Contractions“ (HIT with a strap)
Steve Maxwell „Overcoming Isometrics“
Dragondoor „Isometrics Manual“

Other:
Steve Maxwell „ Yielding Isometrics“

…ups this post got longer than I thought, I will stop here. Have a good day.

Last edited:
Thanks @Walker
I'll dig into those links later! One of them looks familiar.

As for me, I forgot to log my crawling yesterday:
did about 5:30 of my crawling medley, plus 3 rounds of 6/6 steps of lizard crawl.

The time away from the lizard crawl while I had covid definitely had an effect.... my chest and delts are noticeably sore today!

Back
Top Bottom