all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Does anyone else think the "big jumps" of kettlebells is a little fishy?

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
So, you don't think cleaning and pressing two kettlebells in one hand is more awkward, than one adjustable or solid dumbell? I was going by the OP's situation. Not mine. Dumbbells can be gotten a lot cheaper than kbells. Not talking about snatching, or kettlebell specific exercises, but Pressing. Cleaning and pressing two kbells(in one hand) or kbells with plates duct taped on the side or bottom just seems a little (insert your fav. word) to me. I've worked with both dumbbells and kbells for at least 15 years, and can't think of many exercises with dbells that seemed awkward. The first few times you handle a kbell to clean and press with an off center weight fits that description. Both are great and highly interchangeable.
Giving my own response: AIRBALL.

* Pavel indicates that pressing 32kg is a requirement for manhood here: Kettlebell strength standards -- I'll be generous, and assume that it was a tongue in cheek remark, because it would be an asinine statement if serious.
In S & S Revised, Pavel says not to use the toilet during training, which has to be tongue in cheek. (Soiling one's self during a heavy get up and slipping as a result would be high torture.) The fact that he combines solid training advice with occasional absurdities reminds me that in the end, I have to take responsibility for my own training decisions. Perhaps that is his point.

We all know that we should go from 16kg to 24kg to 32kg. Ok, maybe you can use 20kg and 28kg if you must, but man up, why don't you?

And we can all agree that there would be no need for any man to use an 18kg bell. It's like putting washers on a barbell, or something. Your body needs that jolt of a noticibly larger load.

Funny thing, though, I read about people working with the 36kg bell. Why not go straight to 40kg? Where I come from 40/32 = 20/16 -- both are 25% increases.

Sometimes I feel like those that have built the strength that makes 4kg a small weight lose track of the fact that a 25% increase is difficult for anyone. Increasing your max 10% for any lift represents a lot of work.

It isn't very affordable to buy a kettlebell for every 2kg increment, but I think that moving up by 2kg should be encouraged up to 24kg if they are available. And if you went straight from pressing 40kg to pressing 48kg, you can feel free to tell me that I don't know what I'm talking about.
Haven't read the whole thread, but no one is saying you shouldn't go up in increments, it's just that it's hard to find places with all the increments available. I'd love to have a 28kg and a 36kg bell, but it just isn't quite worth it. The 24 and the 32 do the job well enough.

Somehow I haven't chimed in yet on this thread. I remember commenting on the "big jumps" concept, but when I searched for it I found it in a different thread: Increase weight by larger than 10%?

I see kettlebell culture points (such as "man up against heavy weight") like movement cues. If they serve you, then use them. If they don't, ignore them and find others that do. But all the ideas and concepts and folklore do come from somewhere... and it's always good to explore before dismissing so we understand if they do have any value for us. Or if they don't, at least we understand why. So to that end, it's an interesting discussion.

Anyway, @Eric Wilson, I'm glad you're still training, and making progress!

A thought this triggered in me is that kettlebells are not the tool for heavy weight lifting - barbells are for that. This is another reason I'm not so interested in the incremental jumps in weight with kettlebells. To me kettlebells have two special qualities 1. The swing/snatch feature is great for endurance strength and intensive cardio training. 2. Its grip makes it ergonomic for TGUs and presses. Overall it's good for cardio, endurance strength and asymmetrical load strengths. These are all qualities that depend on the intensity of your workouts more than how heavy the weight is. I'd prefer a 28kg for the ROP inspired workouts I do and a 36kg for the S&S workouts, but honestly just putting a bit more intensity into the 24 and the 32 does the trick for me. I think at some point it just isn't feasible for most normal humans to really push the upper limits of heaviness with the main kettlebell exercises. To go further it's safer and more practical to use barbells, which are well balanced and even.

Thanks for reply.

The 10x10 2H swings with the 24kg are challenging, but not too demanding. My plan is to do these 2H swings exclusively for a week or two (to help acclimatise to the new weight).

After that, my plan is to do 1H swings: 16kg, 24kg, 16kg, 16kg, 16kg.

For the 16kg sets - as they are relatively easy, I'll do them "Simply Sinister" style - combining 1H swings with C&P (x2) and TGU L+R (I was doing this method whilst waiting for 24kg to become available).

For the 24kg sets - I'll try standard 1H swings. Failing that, I'll try 1H dead swings. Failing even that, I'll just do these 2H and test transitioning to 1H at the start of each week.

The TGU is wobbly, but I'm just able to do the S&S prescribed 16kg, 24kg, 16kg, 16kg, 16kg. I've been able to do all 16kg sets without any rest so I have to consciously pause at each phase of a 16kg rep to slow it way down. Dont have that problem with 24kg - these are very slow and require a lot of concentration.

Thanks again.

I do SSTP roughly once a week, it's a great way to develop the ability to manage the suck of the timed standard

The other s snd s variant I like is the 5 one arm swings+5 snatches+reverse getup which I picked up from Louka Kurcer..

A thought this triggered in me is that kettlebells are not the tool for heavy weight lifting - barbells are for that. This is another reason I'm not so interested in the incremental jumps in weight with kettlebells.

I thought I was going to leave this thread, but this is such an excellent point, that I can't help another comment.

If I had first developed the strength to bench my bodyweight for reps, and maybe barbell press 75% bw, then my experience in learning to press a kettlebell would probably have been very different.

As it happens, I don't have any access to a barbell, and I'm using kettlebells and a pull-up bar as my primary tool for building strength, beginning from being pretty weak. Which makes sense in my situation (I like to workout at home -- kettlebells are small and affordable), but creates a disconnect between my use of kettlebells and the way others use them, and thus the way other people talk about them.

In other words, when I hear someone say "there's no need for a kb of size X", it rubs me the wrong way, and feels dishonest, because a size X kb is a very useful tool for my goals. But it isn't dishonest, it just is speaking to a different context -- a context that is more common than mine.

So that's very helpful -- I shouldn't expect people to always or usually talk about kettlebells in a way that fits my experience and unique combination of factors.

@Eric Wilson, a little tough love is in order.

Why are you here if what we teach "rubs [you] the wrong way", and "feels dishonest," and is "fishy?"

None of us is as unique as you say you are as concerns strength training. Doctor, movement screen, strong.

You need a teacher, you need a teacher, and you need a teacher, and then you need a teacher, and then you still need a teacher. We all do.

At StrongFirst, we all remain students and have teachers even as some of us are teachers ourselves. Maybe a single session with an instructor is all you need for now, but you _need_ instruction, in person (or whatever the next-best substitute is in these pandemic-crazed days). There's a saying, "Don't knock it until you've tried it." If you haven't been successful at teaching yourself from our materials - and it's clear you haven't been - then "tried it" means getting some hands-on instruction.

Our policy is that "we don't say you're wrong," but you're saying _we're_ wrong, on _our_ forum, and we're out of suggestions.

Thread closed.

-S-

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom