all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Double Cleans -- Progression Problems

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Hi all,

tl;dr: is it worth pursuing heavier single clean & press work with the eventual goal being heavier double c&p?

I just finished 9 weeks of the BJJ Strength Secrets Program Phase I -- it's based around the double clean and press (normally over 8 weeks but I had a competition one of those weeks so I deloaded mid program to ratchet back the volume, etc)...

Anyway, after completing phase I, I tested my rep max with 2x24kg & hit 10 reps, I was pumped. However, I'm struggling with the process of looking at 2x32kg bells. I did a couple of cleans this morning with 2x32kg and they were doable, though the act of double pressing 32kg was not happening (FWIW: I looked back at my old barbell training log from June of 2015 & my best max for a rep test on the overhead press was 135lbsx7, so I'm looking at a heavier & less stable load with 2x32kg)... I did some single C&Ps with 32kg and those felt pretty good... Should I build up my single C&Ps? I was also single cleaning 36 & 40kg (considered taking a shot with 48 but I left that one in the chamber).

My next move is to use Hector's Strength Plan 803B from his free Kettlebell Workout Snacks pdf-- FREE - Kettlebell Workouts! and reevaluating things after that. I am going to stretch it from 4 to 6 weeks and use 2 sessions a week of 803B with one session a week of S&S to keep the swings in, as I feel the hinge is extremely valuable (plus fun!). After that, I'm going to either knock out phase II of the BJJSS or consider his Genesis program from the Double Kettlebell Manifesto...

If I go with Phase II of BJJSS, I will continue the higher volume with 2x24kg & then consider running back phase I with 2x28kg--- that is, unless I feel strong enough that I can pursue Genesis (would require heavier bells for the higher intensity days, so again 2x28kg would probably be in the works since I doubt I could pull it off with 2x32kg).

Thanks all!
I'd recommend running either 803B or 801B with the 24's. Workouts 1, 3, 7 and 8 have triples with the last set on workout 8 for a double. You could add in a set from time to time with the 32's (if that's doable) on the triples and the last set of workout 8. This will start to get you comfortable with the 32's.

You could even run a cycle of 801A with the 32's and sub the press for the front squat. It's not gonna be fun but, if you strengthen your legs, you'll build your press.

Lastly, work yourself up to several sets of 10 double clean with the 32's and watch your press soar. Hope this helps?

I'd recommend running either 803B or 801B with the 24's. Workouts 1, 3, 7 and 8 have triples with the last set on workout 8 for a double. You could add in a set from time to time with the 32's (if that's doable) on the triples and the last set of workout 8. This will start to get you comfortable with the 32's.

You could even run a cycle of 801A with the 32's and sub the press for the front squat. It's not gonna be fun but, if you strengthen your legs, you'll build your press.

Lastly, work yourself up to several sets of 10 double clean with the 32's and watch your press soar. Hope this helps?

Finishing up 803B in 2 weeks (I stretched it to a 6 week plan by going 2 days/week--really liking it) with an S&S, or similar, or just more recovery in between.

Going to move to 801B next w/ 2x24 & keep the heavier double cleans in mind.

Finishing up 803B in 2 weeks (I stretched it to a 6 week plan by going 2 days/week--really liking it) with an S&S, or similar, or just more recovery in between.

Going to move to 801B next w/ 2x24 & keep the heavier double cleans in mind.
Nice! Keep me posted on your results. Rock on!

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom