all posts post new thread

Barbell Duck Deadlift in PTTP: Is it worth it?

Tall guy Andrew

Level 4 Valued Member
The Duck Deadlift is a quad dominant variation covered in PTTP. Has anyone tried it? Does it have any benefits that a zercher squat wouldn't have?
I cannot find much info about the lift outside of PTTP.

Kidding aside, the duck deadlift forces more load on the quads. The knee position can be useful for those with long femurs (which push the bar too far forward). It allows a more upright posture which can benefit those with flexion intolerance…

I remember I hurt my back so bad once and had to go to haul 50 lbs cartons but I couldn’t bend over. The only way to reach the ground was to push my knees forward, rise on my toes and stay as upright as possible…this was a disc hernia and if one suffers one of those, they may appreciate this position better. Also, it’s use in PTTP is too demonstrate how one can alter an exercise to shift the muscles emphasized. This variation, the Snatch Grip and behind the back deadlift do this well and may help a lifter who wants to develop more quad drive off the floor, though @Kenny Croxdale will kill me and present data that the conventional DL should be initiated with the back and that leg pressing the floor away results in less weight lifted. :(

Cheers

The Duck Deadlift is a quad dominant variation covered in PTTP. Has anyone tried it? Does it have any benefits that a zercher squat wouldn't have?
I cannot find much info about the lift outside of PTTP.
At the moment, my way of working on my quads while deadlifting is the Hack Deadlift, which is the behind-the-back deadlift. I can't tell you it's better or worse than the alternatives, but it feels a lot like a conventional deadlift and I think that's good for carryover to the conventional deadlift.

Look up Jeff Steinberg Hack DL on YouTube = you'll find him doing a _lot_ more weight than me.

-S-

Back
Top Bottom