all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed EASY MUSCLE (Geoff Neupert)

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
I ran Easy Muscle A with 2x12 kg KBs. When I started my 2x12 kg was my 10 RM. Just tested my 10 RM with 2x12kg today and did it 20 times! What’s weird is that at 16 kg I think I max out at 8 reps. But going to run EM again with 16 kg this time because it’s close enough to my 10 RM now.

I ran Easy Muscle A with 2x12 kg KBs. When I started my 2x12 kg was my 10 RM. Just tested my 10 RM with 2x12kg today and did it 20 times! What’s weird is that at 16 kg I think I max out at 8 reps. But going to run EM again with 16 kg this time because it’s close enough to my 10 RM now.
Also a little about me… I’m 50 dad of 3 daughters and a psychiatrist, so busy. I work out at 5am M, W, F. I get 10,000 steps plus a day and mow my own lawn/landscape so get conditioning by life. Kids keep me active too.

Geoff’s programs are so great for guys like me. I’m looking to get leaner (5’6” and 160 lbs at 15% BF). Is there another 3 day a week program I should run or just keep on EM? I own the Giant and KB Extreme Burn. Not sure about Maximorium but read that’s ideally a 4 day a week program. So leaning towards EM again but with 2x16 kg. I could keep going after as I have two 20 kg bells also. Anyone have any advice?

Multiply the targeted reps for Easy Muscle with 0.8 and use this for your first 4-8 weeks.

This should be roughly one rep less per set. Use this for your bridging cycle.

STRONG uses a tough 5 RM.

Have you actually tested your RM with 16kgs?

Last edited:
Multiply the targeted reps for Easy Muscle with 0.8 and use this for your first 4-8 weeks.

This should be roughly one rep less per set. Use this for your bringing cycle.

STRONG uses a tough 5 RM.

Have you actually tested your RM with 16kgs?
Thanks! Yes I tested my RM with 16 kg today. Then tried with 12 kg and was shocked I got so many.

Also a little about me… I’m 50 dad of 3 daughters and a psychiatrist, so busy. I work out at 5am M, W, F. I get 10,000 steps plus a day and mow my own lawn/landscape so get conditioning by life. Kids keep me active too.

Geoff’s programs are so great for guys like me. I’m looking to get leaner (5’6” and 160 lbs at 15% BF). Is there another 3 day a week program I should run or just keep on EM? I own the Giant and KB Extreme Burn. Not sure about Maximorium but read that’s ideally a 4 day a week program. So leaning towards EM again but with 2x16 kg. I could keep going after as I have two 20 kg bells also. Anyone have any advice?
Sinx eyou mentioned you're aiming 160 at 15% bf where are you at the moment??

Oh sorry I am 160 and 15% now. I would be aiming for a less BF (maybe 12%) but keep most of the muscle I have. If that’s possible.
You could switch to Schedule B which is a 5RM for the C&P.
Or use the Schedule B reps with the Schedule A format.
Or there's Giant 3.0...

You could switch to Schedule B which is a 5RM for the C&P.
Or use the Schedule B reps with the Schedule A format.
Or there's Giant 3.0...
Good points. I wonder what my 5RM is? I have two 20 kg KBs but I think I would not get 5 reps of that. Maybe 2-3. And 8 for two 16s.

Maybe I should just stay on Easy Muscle A since it seems to be working. I’ve mastered 2 x 12 kg, so could move to 80% (or maybe 100%) of the recommended 10RM and try with 16s?

Yeah, I meant to run the programme with your 16s. You'll naturally recover quicker allowing for more density.
The FSQ will help your C&P as well .
The only thing about B and I know this sounds probably not something to worry about is the weeks where you only do the C&P one of the days. Is that enough?

Maybe I should just stay on Easy Muscle A since it seems to be working. I’ve mastered 2 x 12 kg, so could move to 80% (or maybe 100%) of the recommended 10RM and try with 16s?
Try Phase 1 of A and see how you get on in day 2. You could perhaps repeat Phase 1 multiple times instead of progressing to Phase 2.
Multiple sets near a RM is hard.

@Bauer made a good recommendation with the 80% approach.

Now that we are discussing this… what are the pros and cons of A vs. B? Is B considered more advanced? Different goals?

Now that we are discussing this… what are the pros and cons of A vs. B? Is B considered more advanced? Different goals?
The preamble for Easy Muscle seemed to be that folks kept asking how to go about adding this or that to The Giant. Plus the introduction of RPE to the autoregulation discussion.
I think B is the answer to; "how to combine calisthenics with kettlebells".
Have you watched Geoff Neupert's recent YouTube videos. You can see the Schedule B programme structure evident in one of his videos.
Well worth a watch.
There is an inevitable hole in bell sizes when programmes are either 5RM or 10RM. RMF addresses this somewhat.
From my experience I did Giant X2 with a 9RM (9 to 11 being the recommendation) and I found the later weeks hard. By then I was somewhere on my trajectory to hsving an 11RM after the 8 weeks) but still hard.
If I had a 6, 7 or 8RM bell I'd personally consider it for a 5RM bell programme, i.e. bell down.
I know from experience belling up is hard.
I'd rather get more easy volume than push too hard too soon.

I don't think anyone is more advanced than the other... Me personally I prefer schedule C (I'm not sure more don't use it)

IMO a very easy rotation is rotating schedule C with maximorum... Gives you a 2 strength movements and 1 ballistic each cycle

How many times can you press a single 16? Double 16?

Back
Top Bottom