all posts post new thread

Other/Mixed Effects of Alcohol on Hypertrophy: Paper Review

Other strength modalities (e.g., Clubs), mixed strength modalities (e.g., combined kettlebell and barbell), other goals (flexibility)
Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
I quit for four years and felt great - bounced out of bed, full of energy. I only took up alcohol again because a priest told me God wanted me to drink and showed me the pages in the Bible to prove it. Actually we were both drunk when he did that so I must have started drinking the day before. In any event, it was God that did it and I haven't looked back

as I’m getting more mature I just try to avoid drunkenness instead of attempts at going teetotal
I've had two alcohol free days since the global pandemic started but if I stop drinking by about 8.30pm and head for bed about 9pm I wake up feeling refreshed and clear-headed. That feeling is what I'm all about at the moment, not whether I drink or specifically how much

I've had two alcohol free days since the global pandemic started but if I stop drinking by about 8.30pm and head for bed about 9pm I wake up feeling refreshed and clear-headed. That feeling is what I'm all about at the moment, not whether I drink or specifically how much
Moderation and all that jazz.

Whatever negative hypertrophic impact alcohol might have is probably negligible in “enhanced” athletes.
Have to agree with you on that one. Years ago, I was a client of Jay Schroeder (Adam Archuletta) and he told a story about when he went over there coaching a powerlifting team. After one of the competitions, he said they (both teams) gathered together for a "toast". So, giving the "cliff-notes" version the Americans could not get out of their beds the next morning while the Russians were not only up but conducting some training.

The US can be a strange place to buy alcohol. My wife and I have bought a bourbon in PA only to find that they don't sell it in NJ where we live, and you also can't mail order it, either, because there are both laws about shipping alcohol into some states and also issues with distributors.

-S-
America is also a very strange place because of the large numbers of people who don't drink and have never drunk alcohol. In the rest of the western world, the life-long abstainer is like a myth, everyone has heard of them but no-one has actually met one. But in America I met lots of people who said they'd never drunk alcohol. I first heard of this phenomenon when to much public disbelief (and merriment) the Australian brewer of Foster's hired a slick American marketing manager who admitted in a media interview to never having drunk a beer (he said no-one in his family drank alcohol, going back generations). Then in America I actually met quite a few like him.

America is also a very strange place because of the large numbers of people who don't drink and have never drunk alcohol. In the rest of the western world, the life-long abstainer is like a myth, everyone has heard of them but no-one has actually met one. But in America I met lots of people who said they'd never drunk alcohol. I first heard of this phenomenon when to much public disbelief (and merriment) the Australian brewer of Foster's hired a slick American marketing manager who admitted in a media interview to never having drunk a beer (he said no-one in his family drank alcohol, going back generations). Then in America I actually met quite a few like him.
Well if you wanted abstainers to keep abstaining you would give them a Fosters for sure. :) I’m not being horrible but only a month ago I was wanting more beer and was offered a Fosters and declined. Not only did I decline I lectured the poor woman on purchasing such a beer. Lol

Last edited:
If memory serves, many of the earliest European settlers here in the US came from Christian denominations that were persecuted in their home countries, and many of those denominations prohibited alcohol. It's also my understanding that the majority of followers of Islam don't consume alcohol.

Where I live in Northern NJ, you can't buy alcohol before noon on Sundays - these are called the Blue Laws here, and although they originate in strict Christian observance of the Sabbath, something whose practice has largely disappeared, whenever a referendum is held on getting rid of the Blue Laws, it always fails - people here have grown to like having one day per week when shops are closed, which is another part of the Blue Laws. The things open here on Sundays are the grocery store, pharmacy, and restaurants. All other business, e.g., the local shopping malls, are closed.

-S-

If memory serves, many of the earliest European settlers here in the US came from Christian denominations that were persecuted in their home countries, and many of those denominations prohibited alcohol. It's also my understanding that the majority of followers of Islam don't consume alcohol.

Where I live in Northern NJ, you can't buy alcohol before noon on Sundays - these are called the Blue Laws here, and although they originate in strict Christian observance of the Sabbath, something whose practice has largely disappeared, whenever a referendum is held on getting rid of the Blue Laws, it always fails - people here have grown to like having one day per week when shops are closed, which is another part of the Blue Laws. The things open here on Sundays are the grocery store, pharmacy, and restaurants. All other business, e.g., the local shopping malls, are closed.

-S-

And at the opposite end of the spectrum, in some Western states like WA and CA, you can buy any level of booze in the super market or 7-11 at almost any time of day.

There is a small window between 2:00 AM and 6:00 AM where you can't buy, but otherwise it's 24x7, 365 days a week.

I'm not sure about the cannabis purchase hours.

And at the opposite end of the spectrum, in some Western states like WA and CA, you can buy any level of booze in the super market or 7-11 at almost any time of day.

There is a small window between 2:00 AM and 6:00 AM where you can't buy, but otherwise it's 24x7, 365 days a week.

Same in AZ. Do not know if there are time restrictions on either weed or booze.

So its ... 20/7/365... not quite as catchy.

I'm a vodka drinker and am starting to find that at 29, a heavy day of drinking once a week can really set me back and start messing with my body composition.

Completely anecdotal, and a day of heavy drinking for me is a litre of vodka if I start in the afternoon so might be an extreme example.

I drank very very regularly during the first covid lockdown - again vodka - and it f@#$ed with my testosterone big time!

Well if you wanted abstainers to keep abstaining you would give them a Fosters for sure. :) I’m not being horrible but only a month ago I was wanting more beer and was offered a Fosters and declined. Not only did I decline I lectured the poor woman on purchasing such a beer. Lol
Foster’s is Australia’s revenge on the world. What the world did to deserve it, I’m not sure. I haven’t seen it for sale in Australia for decades, maybe you can get in novelty shops. An American mate told me they brew it in Texas now and it’s quite popular in Missouri where he comes from. I haven’t been to see this with my own eyes - maybe he was being sarcastic

I like bourbon. Bulleit bourbon is one of my favourites. They sell it here in ASDA which is our version of Walmart. Buffalo Trace and Woodford reserve too and I’m more and more convinced whiskey should have a dash of cold water in it.

I also like those.

May I also recommend Wild Turkey 101.

Normally Amazon is cheapest £23-26

Foster’s is Australia’s revenge on the world. What the world did to deserve it, I’m not sure. I haven’t seen it for sale in Australia for decades, maybe you can get in novelty shops. An American mate told me they brew it in Texas now and it’s quite popular in Missouri where he comes from. I haven’t been to see this with my own eyes - maybe he was being sarcastic
They sell it in Glasgow because it’s wet and contains alcohol.

-S-
People never fail to amaze! So settlers came from Europe to escape repression, and then in the New World promptly repressed themselves such that hundreds of years later the shopping malls are kept shut in their image. That’s fantastic!!!!

I'm a vodka drinker and am starting to find that at 29, a heavy day of drinking once a week can really set me back and start messing with my body composition.

Completely anecdotal, and a day of heavy drinking for me is a litre of vodka if I start in the afternoon so might be an extreme example.

I drank very very regularly during the first covid lockdown - again vodka - and it f@#$ed with my testosterone big time!
The most sick I’ve ever been was a vodka hangover. I was boaking up green stuff for like 3 days. If/when I drink it I have it with cranberry. Being a fan of the big lebowski I decided one Christmas I was going to drink White Russians. I’m lactose intolerant. I was very disappointed.

People never fail to amaze! So settlers came from Europe to escape repression, and then in the New World promptly repressed themselves such that hundreds of years later the shopping malls are kept shut in their image. That’s fantastic!!!!
There’s places still here in Scotland were sabbath observance is still observed. They chain up the swings in the kids play parks. Up north and in the islands. Luckily I’m a papist lol can go to the pub and dance a jig on Sunday if I want.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom