all posts post new thread

Fat loss and Muscle gain (not versus)

I am significantly more muscular now at 50 than I was at 30. Arms, traps, shoulders, and hamstrings are all noticeably more muscular. And I played college-level football so I was training at 19-24 and have kept training off and on that whole time.
and also to @bluejeff

I also gained muscle after age 30.

When I was under 30, I just wanted to get stronger and didn't care whether I added muscle mass or not. I had no clue about sarcopenia back then. Once I learned what it was, I got motivated to put on muscle. Fortunately, I got the info I needed here, which saved me wasted time and effort.

Last edited:
It is almost criminal how much healthier food from your own kitchen can be. It's amazing.

Making pizza dough from scratch is terrifyingly easy and, when prepared under your control, can do you a seriously potent service.

There's a deep truth to a quip I think I heard from Dr Alan Aragon, "you should probably be eating your top 20 favorite foods, when dieting"

Another quip I think I heard from Dr. Eades "maybe we're not spending enough time in the kitchen."

The way I figure it , in the way I eat, and train, it's most important that you're in the driver's seat. A little deliberateness can go a long way.
For me making food is easy even enjoyable sometimes. Cleaning in the other hand…

Interview with Yvon Chouinard: One time Dirtbag, Climber, Surfer, Entrepreneur, Millionaire…

When you were younger, you famously ate canned cat food to get through a summer on a budget, right?

Yeah. I ate a lot of it. It wasn’t very good. But it was better than dog food.

yes, I agree that I cannot maximise hypertrophy while focusing on fat loss, and I'm sure that if I focus on maximising hypertrophy I will lose fat, but not at a maximum efficiency. my main mission is to lose this abdominal fat. I have definitely stepped up my protein intake in the past 2 months or so wtih eggs, dairy, seed-curries (beans, peas, lentils,etc), read meat almost every week instead of 1or2 per month and lowered my bread and pasta consumption (not low carb, I just ate too much carb in the last months)....I am missing the quantity of pizza that I ate! comfort food during my downtime periods.

I just finished a 9 week running based program: 3 S&S per week, running 30-50min =2 per week, long long run of 70min per week.
I started another 9 week program on Sunday but the runs are longer, building to a 2hour long run per week. and will push the 24kg KB harder too. I'll continue swinging 10x10 1h for a few weeks then hope to rack and press.
I do believe that this is a good enough approach to fat loss -> dominated by appropriate diet!!!

I had the same when I moved from 100kg of FAT to 82kg of non-fat when I got serious about Kung-Fu in 2004 (age 30 then). My KuFu class watched me melt over a few months :) I kept it more or less stable at 85kg even though I stopped KuFu in 2012. I moved started Intermittent Fasting when I went above 90kg in 2014/2015. Now I'm seriously concerned about my body composition again! I'm not uncomfortable with 88kg, it's just that my body stores all my fat around my abdomen which increases the risks of heart-attacks and organ failures, and my body is alraedy under attack by this autoimmune disease so I can't afford organ issues...My liver must be able to process the little alcohol that I can drink.

HOwever, I digress towards my experience. back to my inexperienced queries: Can I measure my muscle growth, and what is reasonable growth? can this even be answered at the moment?
Is it possible to pick up Kung-Fu again?

Interview with Yvon Chouinard: One time Dirtbag, Climber, Surfer, Entrepreneur, Millionaire…

When you were younger, you famously ate canned cat food to get through a summer on a budget, right?

Yeah. I ate a lot of it. It wasn’t very good. But it was better than dog food.
Climbers: One of these things is not like the others.... etc.

Back
Top Bottom