all posts post new thread

Fat loss and Muscle gain (not versus)

Will definitely keep lifting. The question is which 3 day a week program. Or maybe it doesn’t matter as long as I’m lifting reasonably heavy in a way that makes sense and all of the programs here do. But what is the best 3 day a week program would you say for this? Double C&P hits a lot of muscles which is why I’m thinking schedule A for EM.

Right.

Your body just needs to be told to retain muscle.

Lots of different ways to do that, and variations in programming across groups who prioritize keeping muscle mass while leaning out, from athletes to bodybuilders, would suggest a huge spectrum of programming can work.

3. Will continue and my plan is Easy Muscle schedule A which seems to check the box on a reasonable training plan. I wonder if C&P is enough but adding FS, chin ups and dips once a week should allow me to maintain, right?
I would think so. The exercise selection sounds good. So providing that the volume and intensity is enough to stimulate muscles to maintain or grow, and recovery is enough to allow that process to happen (the two things that structured programs and/or coaches usually help you to hit correctly), you should be good!

I would think so. The exercise selection sounds good. So providing that the volume and intensity is enough to stimulate muscles to maintain or grow, and recovery is enough to allow that process to happen (the two things that structured programs and/or coaches usually help you to hit correctly), you should be good!
Thank you!!

Right.

Your body just needs to be told to retain muscle.

Lots of different ways to do that, and variations in programming across groups who prioritize keeping muscle mass while leaning out, from athletes to bodybuilders, would suggest a huge spectrum of programming can work.
Thanks!

Hi all:

Trying to figure out my get lean plan after gaining muscle (and fat) over past couple of years. I’m now 15% BF at 5’6” and 161 lbs and 50 years old with a busy life (dad of 3 daughters who play a million sports). I’m active outside of work where I sit for a living as a psychiatrist. Get 10,000 plus steps a day mostly by walking as my joints don’t do well with running.

My diet is good with protein and healthy but I’ve been eating at slight surplus and not tracking much as I’ve bulked up. Now it’s time to GET LEAN. But how should I do this without losing the precious muscle I’ve bulk.

I have Easy Muscle, the Giant, KB Burn. I can do 3 workouts per week in the mornings at 5am for an hour. What program should I start tomorrow? I was thinking Easy Muscle schedule A and adding a day each of Front Squats, Chin Ups and Dips 3 sets of 5 reps just to maintain those muscles.

Thanks for your help!
Any of those programs sound fine. You could try Tim Ferriss's Slow- Carb diet from his 4- Hour Body book. Plenty of info. online if you don't want to read the book.

Will definitely keep lifting. The question is which 3 day a week program. Or maybe it doesn’t matter as long as I’m lifting reasonably heavy in a way that makes sense and all of the programs here do. But what is the best 3 day a week program would you say for this? Double C&P hits a lot of muscles which is why I’m thinking schedule A for EM.
Dbl. CJ's will get it done as well.
With the pull ups and dips.
You could also run DFW, with the pull ups and dips.
Or The Wolf.

Hi all:

Trying to figure out my get lean plan after gaining muscle (and fat) over past couple of years. I’m now 15% BF at 5’6” and 161 lbs and 50 years old with a busy life (dad of 3 daughters who play a million sports). I’m active outside of work where I sit for a living as a psychiatrist. Get 10,000 plus steps a day mostly by walking as my joints don’t do well with running.

My diet is good with protein and healthy but I’ve been eating at slight surplus and not tracking much as I’ve bulked up. Now it’s time to GET LEAN. But how should I do this without losing the precious muscle I’ve bulk.

I have Easy Muscle, the Giant, KB Burn. I can do 3 workouts per week in the mornings at 5am for an hour. What program should I start tomorrow? I was thinking Easy Muscle schedule A and adding a day each of Front Squats, Chin Ups and Dips 3 sets of 5 reps just to maintain those muscles.

Thanks for your help!
Why have you changed your mind again?

Why have you changed your mind again?
So Mark L. thought running schedule B would be too much with chin ups (recommended rows) until I can get 10 chin ups (I’m at 5
Max). So that made me think that I should run A instead with the 2x16s which I think I can now handle. After that maybe I shift to schedule B and go up to 2 x 20s.

So Mark L. thought running schedule B would be too much with chin ups (recommended rows) until I can get 10 chin ups (I’m at 5
Max). So that made me think that I should run A instead with the 2x16s which I think I can now handle. After that maybe I shift to schedule B and go up to 2 x 20s.
You said you decided on Schedule A and then posted this;
Hi all:

Thanks for your help!

Run one, then run the other...
You're not going to be at the end of your journey in 8 weeks.

You said you decided on Schedule A and then posted this;

Run one, then run the other...
You're not going to be at the end of your journey in 8 weeks.
All true. I’ve gone back and forth. I like this plan and will run A first. Actually schedule A has two parts so will be 8 weeks. Then will retest my 5 and 10 RM and run B. Maybe by then I will be able to do 10 chin ups? If I drop weight and get stronger I think that’s highly likely.

All true. I’ve gone back and forth. I like this plan and will run A first. Actually schedule A has two parts so will be 8 weeks. Then will retest my 5 and 10 RM and run B. Maybe by then I will be able to do 10 chin ups? If I drop weight and get stronger I think that’s highly likely.
I expect you'll be able to do more C&Ps but not double your chins; while not training Chins.

Maybe. If I drop 10 lbs, that alone would get me close. Plus I’m training them one day a week.
Maybe. That's a pretty significant weight loss over 8 weeks.
It will be interesting to see if your relative strength goes up over the course. I was thinking about relative strength but clearly losing some weight will be an advantage.
Keep us posted.

losing a pound per week is healthy....0.5kg/week. I've done this a few times in the past. my biggest was the first time over 2or3 months = 20kg from +100kg down to 82kg. This was my first fatloss mission: 29yr old, I also started kungfu to help. the fat loss really started about 1or2 months into the mission and I just melted. HOWEVER! I was never interested in building maintaing/muscle at that time. thereafter I once went up to 95kg, in 2013orso, a few years after stopping kungfu, running and intermediate fasting took me back to 84-86kg...again, there was not intention around muscles/strentgh.

so, 10pounds in 8weeks could be healthy. it is definitely achievable if you are not building muscle at the same time....you will lose fat, but its difficult and frustrating to quantify your fat-loss progress. In my case, I'm trying to lose 10pounds, specifically my pot-belly. totally frustrated at the inability to quantify my gains:( however! I can quantify my strenght gains: owning 24kg Swings in the past month, able to clean the 24kg for the first time (multiple sets of 1rep in the middle of 16kg C+J+J)
Maybe. That's a pretty significant weight loss over 8 weeks.
It will be interesting to see if your relative strength goes up over the course. I was thinking about relative strength but clearly losing some weight will be an advantage.
Keep us posted.
\

losing a pound per week is healthy....0.5kg/week. I've done this a few times in the past. my biggest was the first time over 2or3 months = 20kg from +100kg down to 82kg. This was my first fatloss mission: 29yr old, I also started kungfu to help. the fat loss really started about 1or2 months into the mission and I just melted. HOWEVER! I was never interested in building maintaing/muscle at that time. thereafter I once went up to 95kg, in 2013orso, a few years after stopping kungfu, running and intermediate fasting took me back to 84-86kg...again, there was not intention around muscles/strentgh.

so, 10pounds in 8weeks could be healthy. it is definitely achievable if you are not building muscle at the same time....you will lose fat, but its difficult and frustrating to quantify your fat-loss progress. In my case, I'm trying to lose 10pounds, specifically my pot-belly. totally frustrated at the inability to quantify my gains:( however! I can quantify my strenght gains: owning 24kg Swings in the past month, able to clean the 24kg for the first time (multiple sets of 1rep in the middle of 16kg C+J+J)

\
Perhaps "significant " was not the right word.
I'm about 7 lbs lighter in around 12 weeks. But it wasn't all muscle and it certainly didn't come off my abdomen unfortunately.
You often hear people quoting 1 lb per week. But I've never met someone who managed it. YMMV.

\
Yeah I’m thinking 0.5-1 lb per week. Nothing too aggressive

Back
Top Bottom