all posts post new thread

Kettlebell Feedback on Swing and Getup

I'm still relatively new to KB's (almost two years on S&S), so take my comments for what they are worth. On the swings, I would stay tighter at the top, making a tight standing plank. It also looks like you are hinging slightly too soon, which would add stress to your lower back instead of the glutes. This video from Master SFG @Pavel Macek helped me a lot with timing the hinge:

Good work overall, and congratulations on starting this phase of your journey! I'll leave you with the #1 thing I wish that I did differently over the last couple years: Consistency BEFORE intensity!

Started Simple and Sinister today!

I would appreciate some feedback on my swing and getup form! Thanks in advance!

Sorry for the whack audio, but the slo-mo is cool.

GU, eyes on the horizon during up/down lunge, will help your balance, and get your flooring squared away. Otherwise looks good.
SW, more butt less arms, and finish at your tallest height, you're leaning backwards. Practice with a smaller bell. Watch the Pavel Macek vid a bunch. And FYI, you're close to being solid on both skills.

Last edited:
I'm still relatively new to KB's (almost two years on S&S), so take my comments for what they are worth. On the swings, I would stay tighter at the top, making a tight standing plank. It also looks like you are hinging slightly too soon, which would add stress to your lower back instead of the glutes. This video from Master SFG @Pavel Macek helped me a lot with timing the hinge:

Good work overall, and congratulations on starting this phase of your journey! I'll leave you with the #1 thing I wish that I did differently over the last couple years: Consistency BEFORE intensity!

Thank you!!

Welcome to S&S and the forum, @thedean !

You're already strong, and move well at the start. So you will progress well, I think! For that reason I'll be a little more nitpicky. However I agree, close to solid on both.

Get-ups will make you stronger if you slow them down. Really nail each position, including the floor press (and lower) and elbow position between lying and tall sit. Time under tension works wonders, and time in the correct position with graceful transitions between them will continue to pay dividends. Your get-up is basically fine the way it is, but just focus on making it better, smoother, more solid and balanced, every practice, every rep.

Your swings have a lot of great qualities. Shoulders are packed, stance and balance are good, you're projecting force into the ground. They do appear to be a bit towards an "American swing", if you're familiar with that, which is often done in CrossFit. Much like a thruster, it's a coordinated effort of legs and then arms. With the hardstyle swing (StrongFirst's preferred), we don't put any upward force into the kettlebell with the arms. The arms are just ropes to guide the kettlebell, although there is some tension in the lats to keep the shoulders packed, and of course some tension in the forearms for the grip. So this will normally have the kettlebell stop about chest-high. You can still do a powerful swing but try to project power forward, not up. Also, a hard brace of the abs at the top (abs and glutes) helps to find the standing plank without any lean-back.

GU, eyes on the horizon during up/down lunge, will help your balance, and get your flooring squared away. Looks good.
SW, more butt less arms, and finish at your tallest height, you're leaning backwards. Practice with a smaller bell. Watch the Pavel Macek vid a bunch. And FYI, you're close to being solid on both skills.
Thanks!!
Welcome to S&S and the forum, @thedean !

You're already strong, and move well at the start. So you will progress well, I think! For that reason I'll be a little more nitpicky. However I agree, close to solid on both.

Get-ups will make you stronger if you slow them down. Really nail each position, including the floor press (and lower) and elbow position between lying and tall sit. Time under tension works wonders, and time in the correct position with graceful transitions between them will continue to pay dividends. Your get-up is basically fine the way it is, but just focus on making it better, smoother, more solid and balanced, every practice, every rep.

Your swings have a lot of great qualities. Shoulders are packed, stance and balance are good, you're projecting force into the ground. They do appear to be a bit towards an "American swing", if you're familiar with that, which is often done in CrossFit. Much like a thruster, it's a coordinated effort of legs and then arms. With the hardstyle swing (StrongFirst's preferred), we don't put any upward force into the kettlebell with the arms. The arms are just ropes to guide the kettlebell, although there is some tension in the lats to keep the shoulders packed, and of course some tension in the forearms for the grip. So this will normally have the kettlebell stop about chest-high. You can still do a powerful swing but try to project power forward, not up. Also, a hard brace of the abs at the top (abs and glutes) helps to find the standing plank without any lean-back.
Thank you for taking the time for that feedback, I will work towards the Hardstyle swing!!

Getup pause 1-2 seconds each step before moving to the next..

Swing already strong, now use your legs, hips and glutes more.. observe you lean back a bit

These adjustments will make your good start even better
Ayyy thanks.

I can't contribute anything more apart from ditch the mat with the TGU, the last thing you need is crap under your feet with a kettlebll over your face.
Haha yeah I am gonna have to just tough it out on our floors. The turf behind kinda sucks too honestly. xD

Started Simple and Sinister today!

I would appreciate some feedback on my swing and getup form! Thanks in advance!

Sorry for the whack audio, but the slo-mo is cool.

It’s a preference, but I prefer doing those while barefoot. Just worried about losing my footing at times.

Your form is much better than mine, I just want to contribute w my two cents by sharing a feedback that I’ve received on my own TGU form.

Your shoulder sometimes seems to be slightly “slouching” in and out of tall sit position. Just slightly so it might or might not be that way, I am not sure.

Mine was a very apparent form issue and it was indeed hurting my shoulders, now I try to learn to “push” the ground away actively at all times (I don’t know if it is even a formal or a good cue but it works for me”. Now I feel my shoulders are really creating a solid base and I feel as if my body rotates around my shoulder while my shoulder stays stable. Feels secure, stronger and can feel that my shoulders are not in a compromised angle at all times.

Wish you all the best in your S&S journey.

Ps: what I say and do my be totally incorrect since I am a newbee.

It’s a preference, but I prefer doing those while barefoot. Just worried about losing my footing at times.
The shoes I am wearing are VERY minimalist. They are called Bearfoots. Chris Duffin started the company after he couldn’t find a good powerlifting shoe. They are so minimal, and so good to train in. But I definitely go bare foot in the summer and at home.

Back
Top Bottom