all posts post new thread

Fighter pullup program progression

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
22/5/22 1100-1230
FPP 3RM chins
Day #8
10 scap pullups each set
Myofascial release on tricep trigger point near elbow.

Little bit of DOMS / stiffness in mid back today, not sure if from skipping a week in FPP or the first full S&S session in nearly 2 weeks.

Feeling good, feeling strong. Not sure whether I should do a test day after this week or just roll straight into the 5RM program.

Thoughts anyone?

FPP 3RM
Day#9
10 scap pullups each set
Filmed myself today for sets 3&4, appear to be pulling more to the RHS slightly on the ascent, then coming back to the middle at the top. Will try to work towards pulling more evenly.

2nd set felt better than first, feel like I could be doing muscle ups instead of chins.

25/5/22 Day at work in the control room. Pullups on shower cubicle door will have to do.
3RM FPP
Day #11

Felt good, rest day tomorrow and then into the 5RM program on Friday with a repeat of 5,4,3,2,1.

I'm thinking I will swap to pullups for the 5RM program, as they will be at least my 5RM on day 1.

27/5/22
5RM FPP
Day 1
Bit harder today, didn't realise how heavy my work gear is. At least 4kg over what I'm used to - not a lot, but definitely slowed down the reps.

Feel like I need to work on my hollow position as it is rubbish ATM

I
Are you doing Pull-ups/Chin-ups on fixed bar?
I did, but after reading the article below I switched to Rings.
13,064 Pull-Ups in 5 Months
Interesting read. I have been using my kid's monkey bar frame which is about 2" thick, and 2" scaffold pipe at work. I do have a set of rings, but nowhere high enough to hang them while giving myself enough room to hang fully extended. Maybe I'll dig a hole under the frame and hang them there, I'm sure my wife would love that!

I must say though, that the neutral grip pullups feel far and away the best of the whole lot, but I haven't really done ring pullups either.

How wide do you have your rings spaced?

28/5/22 10:00
5RM FPP
Day#2
10 scap pullups each set

Pullups feeling good, but I feel like I'm getting another bloody cold. See how it goes over the next few days

29/5/22 0930-1030
5RM FPP
Day #3
5,4,3,3,(3),2
Lost count of my sets, may have done 3 sets of 3, not sure.
10 Scap pullups each set
Doorway pec and lat stretches x2

Last edited:
30/5/22 0700-0730
5RM FPP
Day # 4
10 scap pullups after sets 2 & 5
Set of 4 on rings @1645

Did set of 5 on rings, really struggled TBH. Not sure if it is because they are lower to the ground and I have to pull my legs up into the hollow more, or the different ROM for my shoulders at the start of the rep.

Last edited:
If you struggled that's good. Tougher reps will pay off. Just keep going and see how stronger you will become. From time to time do a set on a fixed bar.
I actually only did the first set on the rings today, the other 4 on the bar. Training was much earlier today that I'm used to; if I'd been thinking properly I would have done at least the 2nd set on rings as well and seen if I just needed a bit of a warm up.

Will do sets 1&2 on rings tomorrow at a minimum

@mikhael I just did a set of 4 on the rings this PM, I found they were much easier to get started if there was some rotation of the palms from the starting "pronated" position, rotating them in towards a more supinated position before I started pulling.

Is your technique on rings similar? Or am I "cheating"?

Well, I just grab them almost pronated but during the pull they rotate to more neutral grip (palms facing each other).
There is no cheating in Pull-ups as long you just do them. The main reason I use rings is avoiding shoulder or elbow injury. Of course I also do Pull-ups on fixed bar but not so often.

Status
Closed Thread. (Continue Discussion of This Topic by Starting a New Thread.)
Back
Top Bottom