all posts post new thread

For those wondering if Grease-The-Groove works

I just saw an old thread on the Gripboard where I referenced doing GTG for the Ironmind Rolling Thunder one hand deadlift about 14 years ago. I left a loaded (don't remember the exact weight, but it climbed from about 110lbs to around 180lbs over the time of the rise in my RT strength increase) right outside my bathroom door. That way I was able to pull a few singles up to a half dozen times a day (or more, if I wanted to).

I was going to write in detail about the Plateau Buster from StrongerGrip. But I don't think there is much interest in it here. The shorty version is that the first time I tried the handle was at a grip contest in 2011 at Adam Glass's gym in MN. I weighed 200lbs and did a one hand deadlift (only had to pull the weight about 2" off the ground for a legal lift) of 451lbs that day to win the event. I won a Plateau Buster for winning the overall contest and then trained with it about a year. Went from that initial 451lbs to a 567lb one hand deadlift, with no hook. I think the only reason I got rid of the handle was that I was going to have to buy thinner weight plates to load it heavier and I had a new baby. So it was time to simplify. I did use GTG quite a bit, but it was with lower volume (about 5 pulls total per workout) and 3 days a week until I went over 500lbs. Then it went to twice a week or once a week soon after, due to the uneven loading on the spine.

At the end of the month I'll start training for the 2024 USAWA Grip Championship. It will be in mid-February, in Abilene, KS at Al's Dino Gym. One of my favorite gyms, and one that is hard to beat for the history on the walls in pics and in equipment.

I may actually start up a training log here. I haven't kept an online training log in 8 years. And then it was on the Gripboard. Anyway, I'm positive that GTG is going to factor in HEAVILY to my prep for the comp.

If anyone here is interested in competing, I will pay for a year-long USAWA membership for the first person that states here that they are both interested, and planning to compete in the Grip Championship. I will even help with your training, if that is of interest. It's such a good time at the USAWA contests. And everyone goes out of their way to be kind and helpful to everyone else.

At the end of the month I'll start training for the 2024 USAWA Grip Championship. It will be in mid-February, in Abilene, KS at Al's Dino Gym. One of my favorite gyms, and one that is hard to beat for the history on the walls in pics and in equipment.

I may actually start up a training log here. I haven't kept an online training log in 8 years. And then it was on the Gripboard. Anyway, I'm positive that GTG is going to factor in HEAVILY to my prep for the comp.

If anyone here is interested in competing, I will pay for a year-long USAWA membership for the first person that states here that they are both interested, and planning to compete in the Grip Championship. I will even help with your training, if that is of interest. It's such a good time at the USAWA contests. And everyone goes out of their way to be kind and helpful to everyone else.
That sounds like a good time! Are these the lifts tested?

Pinch Grip

Vertical Bar Deadlift – 1 bar, 2″, One Hand

Deadlift – Middle Fingers

Deadift – Fulton Bar, Ciavattone Grip

Deadlift – 3″ Bar

Last edited:
That sounds like a good time! Are these the lifts tested?

Pinch Grip

Vertical Bar Deadlift – 1 bar, 2″, One Hand

Deadlift – Middle Fingers

Deadift – Fulton Bar, Ciavattone Grip

Deadlift – 3″ Bar
Those lifts have been tested before. And they might be again. The actual contest events won't be announced until the end of this month. They rotate year-to-year, but they can technically be the same lift recycled from one year to the next.

Are you interested in competing at this contest?
A future event would be more plausible for me. I will be attending the SFG 2 Certification at the end of April so I will be training for that at the beginning of the year. Thank you for posting the event though!

I just saw an old thread on the Gripboard where I referenced doing GTG for the Ironmind Rolling Thunder one hand deadlift about 14 years ago. I left a loaded (don't remember the exact weight, but it climbed from about 110lbs to around 180lbs over the time of the rise in my RT strength increase) right outside my bathroom door. That way I was able to pull a few singles up to a half dozen times a day (or more, if I wanted to).

I was going to write in detail about the Plateau Buster from StrongerGrip. But I don't think there is much interest in it here. The shorty version is that the first time I tried the handle was at a grip contest in 2011 at Adam Glass's gym in MN. I weighed 200lbs and did a one hand deadlift (only had to pull the weight about 2" off the ground for a legal lift) of 451lbs that day to win the event. I won a Plateau Buster for winning the overall contest and then trained with it about a year. Went from that initial 451lbs to a 567lb one hand deadlift, with no hook. I think the only reason I got rid of the handle was that I was going to have to buy thinner weight plates to load it heavier and I had a new baby. So it was time to simplify. I did use GTG quite a bit, but it was with lower volume (about 5 pulls total per workout) and 3 days a week until I went over 500lbs. Then it went to twice a week or once a week soon after, due to the uneven loading on the spine.

How much can you full deadlift with one hand without hook grip?

How much can you full deadlift with one hand without hook grip?

@Antti Tricky question, depending on the bar. But I'm guessing you mean on an Olympic bar (rotating, obviously) with knurling in the middle. I put up a video probably over a decade ago of me doing (right hand) 308lbs with no hook grip and well above the knees, with the bar level and under control at all times. And that wasn't quite the knurliest bar I've ever pulled on. But I didn't get a chance to duplicate that video on a better bar. Left hand at that time was around 280lbs.

I pulled 400lbs with right hand and 350lbs left hand on a power stairs implement in 2006. That was a super knurled handle, and fixed. No rotation. Also was at a higher starting point than a normal Olympic bar, of course.

@Antti Tricky question, depending on the bar. But I'm guessing you mean on an Olympic bar (rotating, obviously) with knurling in the middle. I put up a video probably over a decade ago of me doing (right hand) 308lbs with no hook grip and well above the knees, with the bar level and under control at all times. And that wasn't quite the knurliest bar I've ever pulled on. But I didn't get a chance to duplicate that video on a better bar. Left hand at that time was around 280lbs.

I pulled 400lbs with right hand and 350lbs left hand on a power stairs implement in 2006. That was a super knurled handle, and fixed. No rotation. Also was at a higher starting point than a normal Olympic bar, of course.

That's great. I understand there are a lot of variables.

That's great. I understand there are a lot of variables.
Thanks! I was more proud of the 275lb thumbless grip deadlift I did at Bill Clark's (former pro baseball scout) in Columbia, MO back in 2009. That particular bar was (I think) probably a tad bent, so it didn't rotate perfectly. And it was super knurled. Al Myers also did the same weight that day. I don't have a digital picture of that particular lift right now, but here is 230lbs on a very spinny bar left handed (I'm right handed) earlier that year.

Attachments

• EDWARDS OHTGDL.jpg
    EDWARDS OHTGDL.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 45
I found it! Here is the 275lb one hand thumbless grip deadlift picture.

Nice! Do you think there's a difference lifting like that between the legs and like a typical deadlift from the front?

I test my grip strength every now and then, every few months or so. I have CTS so I'm making sure it's not getting worse. I've only done normal monkey grip deadlifts from the front with one or two hand. I think my best is 210 or 220kg with two hands and 100kg with just one. I focus on powerlifting and I've never had grip problems with my mixed grip deadlift so I've never really trained the grip.

Nice! Do you think there's a difference lifting like that between the legs and like a typical deadlift from the front?

I test my grip strength every now and then, every few months or so. I have CTS so I'm making sure it's not getting worse. I've only done normal monkey grip deadlifts from the front with one or two hand. I think my best is 210 or 220kg with two hands and 100kg with just one. I focus on powerlifting and I've never had grip problems with my mixed grip deadlift so I've never really trained the grip.
@Antti There is definitely a difference in straddle-style and with the bar in the front. I prefer straddle style because it puts less pressure on my back. Sounds like you already have a strong grip!

Recently I've had an increase in blog and email inquires about whether GTG "works" or not. Well, most likely everyone who has spent time here knows that it works quite well. And likely has for millenia for various physical pursuits. But the first time I read about it was from @Pavel writing.

I fully credit GTG-style gripper work for my Captain's of Crush #3 certification in 2005. For a few months before certifying in May of that year with IronMind, my workouts were GTG and a relatively high volume of singles. At that time, I worked 12 hour night shift in a jail. So after the inmates went to sleep, my grippers came out and I began work. I'd write down every single rep I did. And for that period it was entirely singles for my work sets with my #3 gripper. I could only handle about once per 5-7 days doing 100+ singles (no set - just picking it up with one hand and closing it) with both hands with my #3. A few times I'd switch to 500+ singles with my #2. Or crazy high singles with my #1 or Trainer. But the vast majority of the training was very specific. The #3 for about as many singles as my skin would tolerate, or as many as I could "comfortably" do during my shift. Obviously I had to do other things at work besides close grippers. But it gave me plenty of rest between singles at time. It could vary between literally 1 minute between singles (pretty rare, I enjoyed resting) to 30 minutes or more if I was busy.

I've never been stronger than when I was doing GTG with grippers.

I'm going to add to this post when I have time, possibly tonight. It will be GTG - Part 2: Unbraced Steel Bending. Then GTG - Part 3: Vertical Bar Deadlifts. Then GTG - Part 4: Plateau Buster One Hand Deadlift.
Recently I've had an increase in blog and email inquires about whether GTG "works" or not. Well, most likely everyone who has spent time here knows that it works quite well. And likely has for millenia for various physical pursuits. But the first time I read about it was from @Pavel writing.

I fully credit GTG-style gripper work for my Captain's of Crush #3 certification in 2005. For a few months before certifying in May of that year with IronMind, my workouts were GTG and a relatively high volume of singles. At that time, I worked 12 hour night shift in a jail. So after the inmates went to sleep, my grippers came out and I began work. I'd write down every single rep I did. And for that period it was entirely singles for my work sets with my #3 gripper. I could only handle about once per 5-7 days doing 100+ singles (no set - just picking it up with one hand and closing it) with both hands with my #3. A few times I'd switch to 500+ singles with my #2. Or crazy high singles with my #1 or Trainer. But the vast majority of the training was very specific. The #3 for about as many singles as my skin would tolerate, or as many as I could "comfortably" do during my shift. Obviously I had to do other things at work besides close grippers. But it gave me plenty of rest between singles at time. It could vary between literally 1 minute between singles (pretty rare, I enjoyed resting) to 30 minutes or more if I was busy.

I've never been stronger than when I was doing GTG with grippers.

I'm going to add to this post when I have time, possibly tonight. It will be GTG - Part 2: Unbraced Steel Bending. Then GTG - Part 3: Vertical Bar Deadlifts. Then GTG - Part 4: Plateau Buster One Hand Deadlift.
Awesome! GTG absolutely works for me in pull ups and pistol squats. Both movements one can't really train in a chunk of volume over one training session due to localized fatigue and poor quality. For example I could do 1-2 pull ups when I started and over the course of an entire day did 15-25 reps via GTG method. Same with pistol squats. Did them when I could and throughout the day. Each rep I worked on the approach and the lift which made me better at execution. CNS, muscular recruitment and execution was better each time. Meaning I was getting stronger. Out of the blue seemingly I was able to do 8 pull ups and a pistol with 16kg on the first try.

Awesome! GTG absolutely works for me in pull ups and pistol squats. Both movements one can't really train in a chunk of volume over one training session due to localized fatigue and poor quality. For example I could do 1-2 pull ups when I started and over the course of an entire day did 15-25 reps via GTG method. Same with pistol squats. Did them when I could and throughout the day. Each rep I worked on the approach and the lift which made me better at execution. CNS, muscular recruitment and execution was better each time. Meaning I was getting stronger. Out of the blue seemingly I was able to do 8 pull ups and a pistol with 16kg on the first try.
Not perfect by any means but getting better:)

Attachments

• View recent photos.jpeg
    View recent photos.jpeg
    89.6 KB · Views: 27
Back
Top Bottom